The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:44:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 1st Steampunk Project  (Read 1370 times)
Ariadne Hyde
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:08 pm »

First off, I'm sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, I'm new to this.

I'm really throwing myself in the deep end with this project. Its hopefully going to be a Lernaean Hydra and its my twist on a thing in a jar!
I've already figured out how to make it move (hopefully) and what materials I'm using to structure and make the thing, but I have no idea what liquid to use in the jar. I'm putting a lot of work into it, so I would if possible like it to last forever.

Any ideas?

Thanks
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:38:06 am »

I think it'll really depend on what materials you use. Latex absorbs water and swells, for instance, and other materials may or may not react poorly to ethanol, or glycerine, or sodium metabisulphite; some materials may bleed colour into the liquid, or take a stain from the liquid if you've coloured it.

You shouldn't have a problem with evaporation if you seal the vessel sufficiently, but keep in mind that (AFAIK) real specimens do get "topped up" occasionally. (Then again, if it's to be a proper Thinginajar you want to prevent people getting a really clear look at it.)

For more suggestions, slide on over to Propnomicon's blog; it's chock-full of both ideas and links to other resources.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:40:39 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Ariadne Hyde
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:59:02 pm »

Sorry I wasn't a bit more specific. The 'thing' is going to be made from wood and Sculpey moulded over foil.
Then painted with plain old acrylic and varnished.

Again Thanks.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:45 am »

I use plain old tap water with a bit of salt and vinegar added to hopefully help retard any mold growth. Then a little brown ink for coloring.

Heres my first one, created out of pretty much the same materials as yours.

The only difference is  I coated mine in liquid latex carpet sealer, which after a few days in water, turns grey and swells like dead flesh. Not sure if its still available though as it seems to have vanished from home stores.
 Wasn't sure how dirable the stuff was, so I later opened it up and coated it with a few layers of Polyurethane sealer.

Finally I misted the jar with a bit of dullcoat spray to cloud the glass a bit.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:41 pm »

I don't know if such a thing is even possible (and I will leave discussion of such to those more maker-savvy than myself), but it would seem to me that if (a) you're going to make it movable and (b) you're concerned about the liquid and its effect on the creation one might wish to consider how to "double-wall" the jar in a manner that allows the creature to remain dry in the center and have fluid in the outer circle, between the dry inner space and the outside wall of the jar.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:00:55 am »

I don't know if such a thing is even possible (and I will leave discussion of such to those more maker-savvy than myself), but it would seem to me that if (a) you're going to make it movable and (b) you're concerned about the liquid and its effect on the creation one might wish to consider how to "double-wall" the jar in a manner that allows the creature to remain dry in the center and have fluid in the outer circle, between the dry inner space and the outside wall of the jar.

So a thing in a jar inside of a jar, a Steampunk Stacking Jar?

You could do that with a glass jar and then a plastic jar, and there are automatons that are begging to be modified, like mechanical snakes- they even come with a mechanical screeching noise!

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: