The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:30:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self publishing?  (Read 2344 times)
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer
United States United States

One bathtub scene, coming right up!

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 01:46:10 am »

Friday was the re-release of my first novella, a paranormal romantic comedy called Not Quite Dead. I also have 3 other paranormal romance novellas published - Heart of the Sea, Carolina Wolf, and Carolina Pearl.

I have a short story in an upcoming anthology (more romance), a sci-fi romance called "A Wolf to Watch Over Me" in the Love Is... anthology coming Aug 4.

For now, I'm writing the follow-up to Not Quite Dead, which should be ready in Sept/Oct, depending on my writing speed and how long edits take.

Assuming you're putting out a quality product - good editing, good art, etc - marketing is definitely the biggest hurdle. Because I've been out of the game for so long, it's almost like starting from scratch. No fun at all.

Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 09:14:00 am »

Great titles, Thalesa.
Smiley
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »

Thank you!

To be honest, I'm rubbish at titles. For instance, the working title of "Not Quite Dead" was "Dude, You're Dead: Zombie Lust, a para-rom-com-nov."  Cheesy I think the last bit came about with my writer friends after an evening of imbibing.

These days, I tend to toss a blurb at my critique group and beg them to think of something for me.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 05:14:47 pm »

At least you didn't pick 'mostly dead'...Wink

Still, you're getting it out to the public...kudos for that.
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 05:32:56 pm »

The one in progress is "Definitely Dead."  Wink
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2014, 11:53:21 pm »

I knew I couldn't be the only one thinking of Charlaine Harris here.

Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2014, 01:35:19 am »

Rahr! She stole my title!!!

Ok, she just got to use it first, but I knew what this story was going to be called 8 years ago, which is before her book came out. I NEED it more than she did! So yeah, I'm a tweensy bit irked about that.

Not that it'll stop me. Thank God titles are 1) not copyrighted and 2) get re-used frequently. And no one is ever going to mistake me for Charlaine Harris.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:43 am »

I just downloaded yWriter5. Has anyone else used this program? It's supposed to make writing novels much easier by breaking it down into outline and scenes.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:01 am »

Well a TV program stole the title of my crime novella "The Mentalist".

There is no copyright on titles, however. And I doubt they had read my book. So it wasn't actually stealing. And it probably pushed up my sales.  Smiley
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:12 pm »

Well a TV program stole the title of my crime novella "The Mentalist".

There is no copyright on titles, however. And I doubt they had read my book. So it wasn't actually stealing. And it probably pushed up my sales.  Smiley

It's amazing how many books have the same name, but, and this is a BIG But, Is it trademarked?

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »

don't feel bad...I wrote 5 books on a character named 'Katya' and someone came out with Katya's World, etc. series. There must be a way around the title...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »

don't feel bad...I wrote 5 books on a character named 'Katya' and someone came out with Katya's World, etc. series. There must be a way around the title...

One of my books will have a title that has 334 results on amazon.
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:51 pm »

I just downloaded yWriter5. Has anyone else used this program? It's supposed to make writing novels much easier by breaking it down into outline and scenes.
I haven't used yWriter, but I've heard of it. I'm learning Scrivener...slowly. Good luck with your new program.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:57 pm »

Thanks. I felt the need to download something new, as my 2003 copy of Word keeps glitching out on me. I read good things about yWriter so I decided to give it a try.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

It's amazing how many books have the same name, but, and this is a BIG But, Is it trademarked?

Just copyright in the usual way.

I should add that I am entirely happy that the name I chose turned out to be chosen soon afterwards by a major TV series.

Smiley
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:14 am »

I have friends who use Scrivener and really like it.

I still use MS Word for writing novels - often in conjunction with Dragon Naturally Speaking . I make use of Word's 'Document Map' feature to help me organize it.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2014, 05:38:09 pm »

I haven't used yWriter, but I've heard of it. I'm learning Scrivener...slowly. Good luck with your new program.

Another Scrivener user here but tend to use OSX pages.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:01 am »

Good news! Amazon is now letting self-publishers like us put our books up for pre-order. This is something I've been wanting them to do.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 06:33:56 am »

Good news! Amazon is now letting self-publishers like us put our books up for pre-order. This is something I've been wanting them to do.

Thanks for the heads up.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2014, 12:02:12 am »

NP. I just got the email from them. This is great because I want to build up hype for my next book before it even releases.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2014, 04:54:04 pm »

Don't forget other forms of self publishing.

I am writing content to go alongside my traditionally published novels and putting it out in interactive form via a website. There is no way to monetize it that I know of. At least, none that I would be happy to try. So it is a free giveaway. For that reason it might not be suitable for many. It does allow you to experiment with form though.

I am hoping it will find an audience and will contribute to the world building in the novels.

The web address is as follows:

http://www.gaslitempire.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: