The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:31:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self publishing?  (Read 2411 times)
Gaijin_King
Gunner
United States United States

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 04:08:17 am »

Yes, if you go the indie route you'll need to spend money, and spend it wisely. Here's a helpful link: http://howtowriteshop.loridevoti.com/2011/11/ads-for-ebooks-are-they-worth-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+HowToWriteShop+(How+To+Write+Shop)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »

Thanks a lot!
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 01:05:24 am »

Oh, also, if a publisher or agent says you have to front any money, stay away from them!  A reputable agent, publisher will have you sign a contract, specifying their percentage and you do not front any money!

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 04:19:58 am »

That goes back to my point about these vanity publishers. They approached me and I said, "You are not a reputable publisher. I will not be doing business with you." They still send me emails trying to change my mind. Not gonna happen.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »

That goes back to my point about these vanity publishers. They approached me and I said, "You are not a reputable publisher. I will not be doing business with you." They still send me emails trying to change my mind. Not gonna happen.

If your in the UK, DON'T Apply for ITIN (what a waste of time) apply to philly direct for an EIN!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 04:42:23 am »

Sounds like it's a pain in the arse (as you say) to deal with American taxes overseas.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 05:38:19 pm »

I believe this is a case of "buyer beware" (or in this case, "author beware"). Do COPIOUS amounts of research.

Additionally, I attended a writer's workshop at a Con where the point was made that, "The only time you should sign a check is to endorse the back of it prior to depositing it in the bank." In other words, if anyone's asking the author for upfront money, WALK AWAY.

Good luck in your endeavors, and keep us posted!
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

One bathtub scene, coming right up!

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 04:52:11 am »

I haven't been here in donkey's years, but I thought I'd pop in as I'm in the process of self-publishing a book that was previously published, but the contract has run out so the rights have reverted back to me.

I've spent some money getting this book ready. It's already been edited, so that's a cost I didn't have to incur, but I wanted it to look as polished and professional as possible. This is my career, so I need to present my work in the best possible light. I contracted cover art from a highly sought-after designer. I had a friend format it for me - I know I can learn how to do that, it's a small cost I'm willing to eat. I established a DBA, wrote a business plan, and I'm working a marketing plan. Something simple because it's a re-release rather than something brand new.

And I'm working on the 2nd of the 2-book series so that I have more backlist. Because with self-publishing, backlist and new product are everything. When I finish the current story, I'll pay to have it go through a round of edits with a developmental/copy editor, plus a proofreader before I send it out for formatting. I think that paying for a professional editor makes for a much more polished story, no matter how many "friends who were English majors" it goes through. I expect it to be a significant cost, but I also have confidence that putting out a really great story will pay off that cost relatively quickly.

I think if you're going to self-publish, you realize that you're not just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, but consider it a business - so treat yourself, your business and your product as professionally as possible.

Good luck!

Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write
Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »

Thank you!

One of the silliest things is that I have no idea what to do for cover design haha. Where did you publish yours Thalesia?

I usually just edit things as I go, but go back every month to correct any errors of any kind and add/subtract until it feels okay. I feel I do need to find a professional editor of some sort.
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 04:27:32 pm »

I paid quite a bit for my cover design, but, like editing, I know it's a cost I'll recoup. I used Hot Damn Designs (http://www.hotdamndesigns.com/). Kim specializes in romance covers, but that means everything from historical to sci-fi. I'd look for a designer who has done great covers in your genre - they're familiar with the visual marketing tags that attract readers.

I was (still am) published with Samhain Publishing (http://www.samhainpublishing.com/), which is primarily romance, but also has a horror imprint. I had a good experience with them, but it's just time for me to branch out and try new things.

As to editing, a good editor doesn't just fix your grammar and poke gently at your word choice. They'll help you make the entire story stronger from the roots up. I have terrific critique partners, but even they can't take the place of a solid developmental editor to find the holes and weak spots that I can't see.
Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »

That's something I hadn't known. Could you recommend any good editors?

I plan on going with Amazon still, and I've used Mobicreator on an old shortstory to see how it works. I think Imma publish that one tonight for .99 cents maybe.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 05:01:39 am »

Thanks for pointing me to Hot Damn Designs, Thalesia. I have bookmarked them for future reference.
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »

I came across this article on self publishing the other day and thought it might be of interest. It is specifically about people trying to use self publishing as a springboard to traditional commercial publishing.

http://theblabbermouthblog.com/2014/06/09/getting-an-agent-by-self-publishing-your-manuscript-what-some-agents-think/

Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:09 pm »

Thanks for the article!

Now, if I am self publishing my own, original work, does that make this public domain, or not?

Still new to this lol  Grin
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 11:48:36 pm »

No, it's not public domain. You hold the copyright, so no one else is allowed to publish or copy it without explicit permission from you, the copyright holder.

Keep going!
Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 01:30:57 am »

Okay okay! Almost done!

I just need to upload the file. It's asking me whether or not I want to enable digital rights management.
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 01:55:19 am »

I didn't, but that's up to you. I'm a big fan of copyright, but DRM causes at least as many problems as it solves, imo. It was implemented to prevent piracy and copyright theft, but it also limits what people can do with content they've legally purchased.

Sounds awesome, yes? Except the foreign pirate sites don't care about DRM and immediately find ways to crack it anyway. For the average consumer, if they buy your book on Amazon, but only brought their Nook along on a trip, they can't access your book because of DRM unless they're willing to technically break the law and hack into it so they can read on the device of their choice.

As I said, I'm a big believer in copyright. I worked hard to write my books and I deserve to be compensated for that work. People shouldn't be allowed to just take my work and make as many copies as they want so they can share it with total strangers on the internet. DRM is one tool that helps prevent that kind of activity.

On the other hand, I don't think people should have to buy my book over and over again in various formats so they can read it whenever and however they want. If you've bought it once, that's enough.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend a lot of time dithering over this question. You can try it one way for this book and another way for another book. Or enable DRM on Nook, but not on Amazon. It's extremely unlikely to make a difference in your sales, either way.
Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 02:38:35 am »

Wahoo! Just published my first short story! 8D

Thanks a bunch ladies and gents!
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 02:42:29 am »

Congrats!!

I just uploaded my novella to Amazon and Nook this afternoon. Tomorrow, I tackle Kobo and D2D.
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:07 am »

WAY TO GO LUY22 & THALESIA;D
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:38 am »

I didn't, but that's up to you. I'm a big fan of copyright, but DRM causes at least as many problems as it solves, imo. It was implemented to prevent piracy and copyright theft, but it also limits what people can do with content they've legally purchased.

The law changed a long time ago. You do not purchase content, you purchase the right to view/use that content for yourself.
This had led to many legal arguments and fights for the fair use rights.

By the way congrats for getting you books online. I just pulled mine (before release ) due to a mega rewrite.

Just one BIG question. What are the names of your books?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:33:38 am by CPT_J_Percell » Logged
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 11:26:44 am »

I agree with you Thalesia. Copyright is vital for writers. But DRM seems unfair to the reader. My publisher, Angry Robot sell all books DRM free. I really like that policy.

Ultimately we survive as authors because of the decency and loyalty of our readers. Not because of DRM.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »

Thanks for the article!

Now, if I am self publishing my own, original work, does that make this public domain, or not?

Still new to this lol  Grin

Although the detail of copyright law varies between jurisdictions the basic principal is that you automatically own the copyright to any original work that you produce. Publishing it in any form does not diminish your ownership unless you publish it under some sort of open license.

Having said that you do need to be pragmatic, it is sensible to include a copyright notice as part of any publication including your name and the date of publication and a short statement that you assert your rights to the copyright ownership.

Also failing to attempt to enforce your rights can be seen as waiving them so you do need to chase up any infringements that you become aware of, even if it's just through an email.

In practice it's not that easy to enforce copyright and the marketing of reproducible work is often a pragmatic balance between getting it seen and asserting your rights. You should also be aware that commercial publishers may be reluctant to handle work which has already been published online.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:23:11 pm by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »

Guardian in the Pit is my first one, it's pretty short, and I had written it up in the Spring of last year to be put in an anthology that came out not soon after. I feel it came out well, and I've had a full year of editing to fix everything that needed it. Woohoo. I've got a lot more to publish, and a few projects I've got to finish and new ideas are popping in every day.

What're the other sites? D2D and Kobo?
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 01:11:30 pm »

Self publishing involves alot more than writing and producing something....Whether printed and bound or in electronic format.

Think about marketing and promoting what you've created. Sending copies to suitable places for them to review it and hopefully publish an honest but positive review is fundamental but often ignored (If you're selling it through Amazon politely ask purchasers to leave a review once they've read it).

A press release to all local media along the lines of 'Local author's new book' doesn't cost much to do and might generate an interview and possibly sales. Remember to include details of when it will be available and where, A few hints about the plot but don't give too much away. (a quarter page feature and review in one local paper is the equivalent of buying the same advertising space...but free).
Maybe a 'launch party' (any excuse for one) with appropriate Steampunk drinks and people in steampunk clothing (remember to invite your media contacts and buy those who used your press release a drink or two).

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: