The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 01:58:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing print from radio / vacuum valves.  (Read 1576 times)
Mordicai
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 22, 2014, 02:51:33 am »

Hello all, I'm very new here but wished to post a question to you all as I intend to get into a lot of crafting / customizing of all things... like, all things. Nerf guns, goggles, top hats, alchemy bottles, staves etc. Not all Steampunk but quite a bit of it will be!
Anywho! I figured the best place to find out as google and youtube are very unhelpful in this subject, would be here! So, the question is, as the title says, how would I go about removing the logo's / print from the glass on vacuum / radio valves? I recently acquired around 50 of them (impulse buys on EBay *cough*) and whilst some are logo'less, there are others that have the brand name and whatnot all else printed on there. I don't really mind it I suppose but would love to know if there's a way to get rid of it!

Many thanks in advance and I hope to be asking more questions and showing off some stuff in the near future!

Taste my gauntlet, it's the flavour of defeat.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:29:03 am »

I'd think lacquer thinner would remove most printed logos, but some were etched into the glass if I'm not mistaken.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:07:17 pm »

It depends on what they are printed with.

If the logos are enamelled, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

On the other hand, I once took the print right off a set of measuring cups by wiping them with lavender oil (which was used as paint thinner before turpentine).

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: