The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:28:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Artificer by Oliver Perks  (Read 1857 times)
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« on: June 17, 2014, 05:40:43 am »

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to share a great steam punk read. One of my favourite books I have read so far this year... Has anyone else read/heard of this book?

Title:Artificer
Author: Oliver Perks

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00HZ4PHUM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1402979781&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Let me know what you think... I need to chat about this with someone. I hope there's a sequel!

A clockwork heart can't replace the real thing.
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:42:15 am »

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to share a great steam punk read. One of my favourite books I have read so far this year... Has anyone else read/heard of this book?

Title:Artificer
Author: Oliver Perks

*Link removed by Moderator*

Let me know what you think... I need to chat about this with someone. I hope there's a sequel!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:30:45 am by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:46 am »

a lot of discussion with regards to reading materials goes on in the textual subforum:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,4.0.html

Can't say I've read it. But that title peaks my intrest as it's a title I use as a name elsewhere.

Heckler
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:18:58 am »

Hi Steamgirl, why don't you go into introductions and let us know about yourself, you've made three posts and all three have been about the same book.  It makes it appear as if you've just popped up to plug a book and to be honest if that were the case we'd see straight though it and decide that sort of sad marketing ploy indicates an extremely weak book we wouldn't want to read.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:29:10 am »

Topics merged.

Copy + paste does not make an already posted comment different, indeed as already mentioned above, it reeks of spam...
Three consecutive posts about the same subject, from a newly registered member, has me more than a little suspicious!

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:35:05 am »

Still I'm sure that Steamgirl88 and Oliver Perks both being Canadian is just a happy coincidence.  Wink
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:03:12 pm »

We will see where this goes..... I'm smelling a fresh entry in the repel boarders thread.

As a side note. I'm sure Mr Perks, is a nice chap. Enthusiastic certainly. I would expect nothing less from a "Pop culture junkie" that does take time and dedication to keep up with. Also, he is excited about getting money for writing, a first book is a big thing (and congratulations by the way). But seagulling a forum? To drum up a bit of press? Hmmm.

I'm sure this is just an avid fan, or a well meaning family member at worst a press agent trying to be helpful. The thought of a first time male author acting like a girl, on a forum with people mostly much older than him, in an underhanded attempt to hoodwink them into buying his book. When he could have just popped on and said "Hello! I've got a book! Here's the google sample link! Fancy telling me what you think?"  It really is too horrible to actively contemplate.

Oh and whoever it is, does clandestine and subterfuge like a breeze block dropped off the top of a multi-storey car park. Just saying.

steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:13:40 am »

I apologize for the double post. I didn't see the textual thread at first and I had some difficulty deleting my original post last night. I see now that it has been moved, so I guess that takes care of that. As for those of you accusing me of spamming, I am a new member who was simply trying to drum up some conversation about a book I read. It is a good book but few have read it.  I am not Oliver Perks, nor do I personally know him.  The book was recommended to me by my friend, whose aunt attended the original book launch in Calgary. I will never double post again!!!! Cry
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 02:19:51 am »

In addition to my last post, I have to say that the responses on here this far have been harsh and uncalled for. The fact that I post one thing and immediately have my identity questioned is ridiculous and quite frankly, makes me reluctant to post much else on this forum.  Thank you for the warm welcome...
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 02:54:43 am »

You'll have to forgive them, but we get simply scads of spammers trying to cash in on the steampunk craze, and one learns to read the signs, signs you inadvertantly displayed.

Don't take too much offense. They were much more courteous than other forums would be.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:42:13 am »

Fair enough. It is too bad that this thread turned into what it did because that was definitely not my intent when making the post.  I am still open for a book talk on this novel if anyone does get the chance to read it.  Smiley
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

Steamgirl apologies if took your post the wrong way, let's start over.  Post something about yourself in introductions and we can begin to know you better.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

I'm sure this is just an avid fan.

Thank you for the warm welcome...

The pleasure is all mine.

To the book: I do worry that he might be just cashing in on the Steampunk craze. From his profiles he does love to surf the Zeitgeist. One hopes the second book you crave materialises before he is distracted by another pop culture "shiny thing". Still, science fiction is a wide field with plenty of room to manoeuvre, any author has to be flexible and be able to go where the money is. It's hard to be down on anyone exploring an interesting what if? 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:22:36 am by Clym Angus » Logged
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:31:19 am »

Your comment about surfing the zeitgeist makes me wonder about a very narrow interpretation of steam punk.  I personally feel that if someone is interested in steam punk they have to bring knowledge of and interest in a broad range of topics such as: history, science, literature, technology, science fiction, fantasy, and fashion (where I have a strong interest). I see the steam punk universe as one that is broad and full of possibilities, as opposed to being narrow and limiting.
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 08:20:48 am »

Your comment about surfing the zeitgeist makes me wonder about a very narrow interpretation of steam punk.  I personally feel that if someone is interested in steam punk they have to bring knowledge of and interest in a broad range of topics such as: history, science, literature, technology, science fiction, fantasy, and fashion (where I have a strong interest). I see the steam punk universe as one that is broad and full of possibilities, as opposed to being narrow and limiting.

Indeed.  Discovering for the first time that there was a title for something that had always been an interest is something of an 'Aha' moment.  (By which I don't mean the 80's Swedish pop band of course.)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:37 am »

Whilst expanding ones horizons is never a bad thing. I would argue that by defining a good steampunk (and thereby accidentally defining a bad one) has a rather nasty limiting effect. I like to think of it as a state of mind more than "what toys are in your chest". The modus operandi being a willingness to learn, an enthusiasm for discourse an intellectual pik'n'mix of lateral thinking and creation.

That said there is a lot of psychic projection upon this blank canvas. Some like the look, some like the manners, some like the making, or the books or the science or the horror. The list of possible fetishes you could hang your hat on and call it steampunk goes on and on and on.

I do like the way Tinker put it: "Be Splendid".  That covers most things quite well really.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »

@steamgirl88:
Does this book only exist as an e-publication, or is it in print form, as well? I've been compiling lists of such things, and I'll need to put it into the appropriate group.

Since you're new, and may not have seen some of these titles, here are links to the two lists published so far:
Printed novels:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42449.0.html
Graphic novels:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42803.0.html

The lists for e-publishing, anthologies, and non-fiction are still in progress, but I'm always asking for titles that should go onto one of the lists. Look at the two that are already up and tell me if I've left anything out when you get the chance.

Welcome to the boards!
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:15 am »

Thank you- I appreciate the psychic canvas explanation . I agree-why limit such an engaging genre? I also like the idea that everyone is able to contribute to steampunk in equally valid ways.
By the way, I have only been able to find the book in e-format.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:04 am »

perhaps if you were to explain what it is about the story that appeals to you.

and as an aside, don't let the snark get you down. After a while in the community one  can become a bit jaded with new arrivals that come holding a product up instead of themselves. They can sometimes forget that occasionally there are those amongst us that relate best by sharing objects of interest, rather than being announced at the door and explain ourselves to everyone.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:31 am »

Mr Jack, internet research and the ferreting out of information is a speciality of mine!

Let us delve into the inner internet workings of Mr Perks and see if I can't dredge up an organ or two for proper literary dissection!

Book preface:
Product Description
After graduating from the Artificers' Academy that he has studied at since he was a child, Miles Nummer dreams of using his knowledge to help people. Instead a chance encounter with a church archon leaves him hopelessly entangled with a plot to destroy the heart of the society he lives in.

Miles Nummer is an artificer, born with the ability to blend science and magic. After ten years of study in the artificer's academy he is ready to make his mark on the world. But after being saved from a mob by a beautiful young archon named Sophia Meisters, a soldier blessed with divine powers in the service of the church, the two of them soon find their paths interconnected as the murder of an angel leads to the discovery of a conspiracy to destroy both the church and the government that it supports.

Now they must race against time to unravel a plot involving demons, homunculi, and illegal technology that could destroy the world in the wrong hands, and all the while every clue seems to point to Miles' own mentor being the one behind it all.

His brother (I assume) can edit together a video:
Artificer by Oliver Perks

Amazon Preview can be found here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artificer-Oliver-Perks-ebook/dp/B00HZ4PHUM#reader_B00HZ4PHUM

Costs a smidgen over 6 pounds (ebook) No print version as yet. WHICH, he should not be judged too harshly for. Not all of us can get the financial backing for a print run on our first outing. There maybe a couple of chapters floating around his twit/book accounts. But this should be plenty to get people started. (I'm not doing all your research for you what do I look like? Some sort of minion?)

Right that's the yang to balance the yin of my comments further up the thread. I might have a quick squiz at the first half chapter and see what all the fuss is about.
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:00 am »

Right that's the yang to balance the yin of my comments further up the thread.

Fair play sir, I however will curmudgeonly hang onto the very accurate description as a 'snark'.

Presumably like a shark only pithier.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 11:13:58 am »

My dear sir, I am no snark, I am a gold plated git.

I know it, everyone here knows it. Fortunately the powers that be find me adequately amusing not to have bothered banning me yet.
In no small part to my knowing of precisely when to pull out of a trolling nose dive.

I walk on the wire of acceptability and tolerability with all the skill of a high wire act. Most of my comments are tailored to have at least 3 points of retreat.

I am unsavoury, but necessary. Like the boy who tells the emperor he is stark Bo**ock naked. Bluffs must be called, some one must be there to say "hang on a sec!" I take my duties as a gold plated git, very seriously.

This is why nobody puts me in charge of anything.
Misrule by name, misrule by nature.

By the way the first couple of paragraphs (book) are a bit chewy, I am confident that it will improve!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:22:23 am by Clym Angus » Logged
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 06:59:51 am »

By the way the first couple of paragraphs (book) are a bit chewy, I am confident that it will improve!
Er, yes. After reading the first page on the Amazon site, I realized that I did not want to read a few hundred pages of such prose.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »

One modern understanding borne from experiment, is more valuable than 10 insights gleaned from antiquity, forged from sporadic guess work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: