The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:04:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk novel giveaway  (Read 794 times)
S.C. Barrus
Deck Hand
United States United States

Gravatar

« on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:51 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm really excited about this. I'm giving away free, no obligation copies of my steampunk novel Discovering Aberration. Why am I so excited about giving away copies for free? A few reasons but one being: the more I give away, the more people tell their friends, and the better it's selling. But you can't find it for free just anywhere, only at a select few hidden locations, and this is one of them.

Description

Thaddeus Lumpen's archaeology career is near collapse, thanks to the machinations of rivals who would kill to claim a discovery for themselves. In desperation he turns to Freddy Fitzgerald, a rebellious writer who still maintains connections from his days as a street hooligan. For Lumpen to get ahead of his even less scrupulous competitors he must steal an ancient map and forge a path to an island where a lost civilization waits to be found. For Freddy, it's a chance to sell the story of a lifetime.

But nothing is as simple as it appears from halfway across the world. Old acquaintances become enemies, professional rivalries turn violent, and a notorious gang lord wants his map back. The island itself holds dangers that Freddy and Lumpen couldn't have prepared to face--and horrifying secrets that might be better left buried. Beset by wild beasts, cutthroat competitors, and dangers darker still, the two men fight not for glory, but their own survival... before the island pushes them to the brink of insanity.

--

DISCOVERING ABERRATION is a alternative history adventure novel. Inspired by the classic science fiction, adventure, and horror writers who spawned what would later become the steampunk genre, DISCOVERING ABERRATION is part Victorian era urban romp, part dark fantasy adventure.

How to get your free copy

Getting your free copy is simple, just follow the link and download it. The file is for Kindles, but it can be read on any kindle device, smart phone, tablet or computer using the kindle app.

http://bit.ly/FreeDiscoveringAberrationDownload

How to support my writing at the same time

Inside your free copy of Discovering Aberration you'll find a few links prompting you to share with your friends. They are unobtrusive and pop up at the end of each part. Of course, you can be a hermit and keep the goods all to yourself, and that's fine, or follow the links which will automatically create a post for you on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter. Sharing supports my writing, so I appreciate it when anyone does.

Paul Huxley
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:28 am »

Thanks for the book, I'll give it a read and spread the word.

Just one question though--

Why aren't you distributing this via Amazon or another ebook vendor? It's easier to get your stuff out there and gives people a place to find your writing. You can set up permanently free promotions too. As a writer investigating the possibilities of indie publishing I was wondering what your plan was.

Any way thanks again.
S.C. Barrus
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:59:55 pm »

Thanks for getting a copy. Discovering Aberration is currently available for purchase everywhere and is actually in the top 100 best sellers in the steampunk genre on amazon. There are also a few hidden spots around the internet where discerning searchers can get it for free. I'm hoping the people how download the free version will click the share links inside which spreads the word about the amAzon version. Basically this is my attempt to give copies to the people who might appreciate it most and hope they help generate some buzz in return.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »

Just startd, amd this is exquisate! Seriously, wonderfully well written!

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
S.C. Barrus
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:40:00 pm »

Thank you so much! I love to hear that. It took a lot of work to create this writing style (one that draws heavily from the writing style of Verne especially, while still trying to feel fresh. That was the goal anyway.), so it's great to know you enjoy it. If you continue to enjoy the story, please tell your friends Smiley
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »

I would, but most are right here!

Your narrator mentioned a previous text concerning the Orient, I believe. I wonder, is that referring to an existing book?
S.C. Barrus
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:16:33 pm »

No, that book is part of his backstory. But I am considering writing it as a short prequel. We'll have to see if readers want that, so if it's something you're interested in, let me know and I might make that happen.

Right now I'm working on another novel that also takes place in this world featuring a few of the secondary characters from Discovering Aberration as main characters. After that, I'll see how well these too books are received and figure out if I want to invest my time in a direct sequel to DA or start a brand new project. That sequel will be a huge project, you'll understand why as you read, and I'm pretty excited about it, so it will likely be written soon.

My plan is to have both of these book released before the end of next year. We'll see if I can stick to that.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »

Well I, for one, look forward with great eagerness to any and all further works from you!
S.C. Barrus
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »

Thank you so much! I really appreciate hearing that. If you want to be notified of release dates, feel free to join my mailing list. I only email to announce releases, so you'll hear from me about once or twice a year. http://awayandaway.com/list/

You might be interested in this preview of my upcoming novel. I've shared this on social networks and it seemed to be received well by my awesome group of readers.

Preview of WIP. *Quick note: This is not a finished product, but a work in progress. It might not be as polished as a final product.

Hazy, the room, and it smelled of lavender and smoke and licorice. She sat there, upon a mound of pillows thread with silk strands shimmering from the light of gas lamps and the red glowing ember. Under the ember smoldered a sweet smelling herb, and from a tube she sucked the smoke into her lungs and exhaled with such elegance. I remember her eyes most of all, the way they never left me, always studying.

“You are the wet thing my Candy found on the street, so I hear?” Her voice was somehow soothing and frightening, soft and foreboding. In the dim light the lines of her face glowed a faint yellow, but her more subtle features were cloaked in the darkness. “You’re nervous.”

I shivered. Not from fear, though there was a little of that, but from the cold of the ocean waters still biting my skin all these hours later.

“Don’t be nervous, girl,” a shallow smile, “you’re not the first to arrive in tatters and dirty, stinking the demons out of hell. I don’t judge on appearances.”

One of the two women who flanked either side of her snickered, and the woman facing me smiled in self amusement. “That’s not entirely true. But you needen’t worry, girl. As I understand it, you’re here seeking entry into our ranks? Very bold. It takes a special kind of girl to become one of us,” she said in a way that sounded almost coy.

I nodded. “Miss Bottoms said—”

“Yes, I know what she said to you. I can hear further than you can imagine, remember that. Miss Bottoms is very good at recruitment, but all the girls must meet with my final approval. There is more than the criteria of a Scarlet, Miss… what was your name again?

“Over,” I said.

“There is more than the simple criteria of a Scarlet, Miss Over. Intriguing name. Yes you may, or may not, pass on every point of requirement, but there is the essence of the girl to take into account. And that is much more, what’s the word… ethereal a thing. It’s not something that can be known is a single conversation. Sadly, these days that is all the time I have. You have two minutes to convince me to carry on a second conversation. You’ve been in Victania three days now, is that correct?”

“One day,” I said, my voice shaking, my accent suddenly feeling very strong. “They didn't let me on Victanian soil. I was stuck on them docks for two days before… before I got away.”

“Hm,” she mused, a finger patting her lips, eyes taking in the whole of me as I spoke. “Not an easy task.” She turned to the woman on her right, “Don’t most the immigrants die trying to escape the docks?”

“I believe many do. Either they’re shot by the constables, or they drown, dredged up later. But a few slip through.”

“And how did you do it?” she asked me.

“I’ll tell ya that when we speak again.” I risked a peek into her eyes and found her smiling with narrowed eyes. Again, she tapped her lips.

“Can you speak without an accent?” she asked after a moment.

As she questioned it, I could feel the worry balling up in my throat.

“Me accent?” I managed. Even my speech betrayed me as the outsider I clearly was.

“Yes, dear, your accent. I don’t expect immediate results, but you would need to matriculate. Can you lose the accent if your standing depended on it?”

“Yes,” I replied unsure of myself but utterly desperate. “I think so.”

“That bodes well,” she said sarcastically. “Tell me something about yourself, Miss Over. This is your last chance to woo me.”

“I…” I hesitated. I knew I had to say the words, Miss Bottoms had prepared me as she led me by the arm toward this strange, mystical and dangerous place. “Don’t hide from it,” she had said. “When you tell her, say it with pride. She can’t resist a story of a good killing.” But I wasn’t proud, I was ashamed, wholly regretful. I forced the words out in a spit of a sentence, “I killed… someone. A man.”

She watched me for a long moment, sucked on the tube of the device and exhaled a river of smoke. “Yes,” she spoke thoughtfully. “Yes I can see that you did. You have the look in your eyes. Why did you kill this man of yours?”

“Why?” My chest burned even as my skin shivered. There was a pit in my heart now, a hard thing inside the meat of me rubbing my soul raw. I was not meant to be a killer, but now, in order to live, I was forced to revel in it. “When it comes down to it,” my voice tremulous as I realized the truth of my statement, “I killed him over a bottle of Gin. Over a bottle of Putrid Corpse Extra Special Reserve.”

“Truly,” she asked.

I nodded quickly and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I prayed that she could not see it in the dim light.

“An innocent, foreign girl like you killed a man in cold blood over a bottle of Putrid Corpse? I’m not sure I believe it. But you do have some spunk. I hate that word, but there you have it.” Raising from her seat, she bade me forward with a finger and said, “I want to look into your eyes.”

I neared her, pulled in by her gaze. She leaned close to me and I could smell the smoke clinging to her red lips, and the smell of perfume and Absinthe. The smell of her was intoxicating and biting. “Look up,” she said with a finger to my chin. The hair on my arms went rigid. “Just here,” and here eyes were dark and piercing. For a long moment I stood still, my spine stiff, as she stared into me. “Could you do it again?” she whispered. “Could you kill again?”

I swallowed hard and dry. “Could I kill someone?”

“Yes.”

“I… I don’t…” I hesitated, but the image of my murder filled my view. I remembered him standing over me, I remembered feeling powerless. But then I had found the knife, long and thin, and the knife had found the nape of his neck. Would I kill again? “Yes,” I shuttered. “Yes, if…”

“If?”

“In similar circumstances.”

“Circumstances are everything,” she smiled. “You are beautiful, and there is something in you, something small, but it can be nurtured. Fine,” she curled her nose before turning back around and returning to her seat. “Clean yourself up, get a fresh set of cloths, then go down to the bar. I’ll be along. You have my interest for tonight, I’ll listen to your story. Lucky you.”
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

Will The Gin Thief be an e-book only, or will a print version be released once all the episodes have been released? Please let me know, so I'll know which version of the "Relatively Comprehensive" Steampunk books lists to include it in.

I'll be updating the "Traditionally Published" list with Discovering Aberration this week.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »

Thanks for the book! And especially, thanks for putting your name in the file...you'd be surprised how many people don't do that...
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:46 am »

You're on the updated list, located here (#293):  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42449.50.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: