The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 03:07:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for Steampunk Cities  (Read 1195 times)
Gear Mechanic
Swab

United States United States

« on: June 04, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »

I want to hear everyone's ideas for steampunk cities and towns. I'm trying to expand a world I'm working on and I want to eat everyone's ideas. I'm shooting for a fictitious world that is similar to our WW1 and Industrial Revolution.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:09:40 am »

A flying, walking or sailing city could work.

Flying as in a cluster of hot air balloons, joined by ropebridges.

Perhaps more WW1 Industrial Revolution could be a walking city. It moves from site to site, using up all resources such as coal, plants, wildlife, water. When the resources are gone, the city stands up and walks or drives to another site.

For a sailing city you need a lot of handwavium to keep the city up in the air. All transportation comes and goes with small flying machines. To give it a war vibe to it, you can create a camoflage system, like a smoke screen.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:40:37 pm »

When I went to college, we had a system of steam piping to heat the whole campus. Think underground passageways with big, warm, sweaty pipes...just conjures up an image (the college started in 1895, so it would fit...Wink
Paul Huxley
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:39:31 am »

If you had a walking city it could grow as it went, absorbing smaller villages and towns as it crossed the land, picking the best parts and discarding the rest.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:13:52 pm »

How about an underwater city? Nautilus meets Atlantis.. A submerged Crystal Palace, surrounded by tropical fish, lit with those newfangled electric lights.. not to mention breathing air being produced by electrolysis. Or simply by adding lots of plants in the structure..

Electricity was the hot new thing in the 19th century. Very futuristic stuff. Most people knew little to nothing about power generation and storage, and the craziest speculations appeared in print of the day.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:33 pm »

It would rather depend on your criteria. Perhaps a city on top of a volcano, running everything on geothermal steam.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:53:33 am »

after a recent visit to Mont Saint Michel [ Ok after googling it  when another poster mentioned it]   I  was once again reminded of the timeless elegance  of the island fortress  reaching back into antiquity that I had enjoyed in other images of it.

An isle  situated just off the coast  in its own private world of existence

MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 02:32:46 am »

A City called Erebus, lying on the flanks of a volcano off the coast of Antarctica.  Mid 19th Century London type of atmosphere or that of any number of the great cities of the East, Calcutta, Shanghai, Old Delhi, Kowloon, Tokyo  The feeling being, that while reaching into Modernity, there is the solid anchoring of them in the past.  Architecture is a mix of dark colours, timber sourced from the jungles of Africa, marble from the Mediterranean, lots of blacks, greys, whites, and browns.  The glow of Gas lighting,superseded by areas of early electricity.  Geothermal plant further up the mountain.  Very Tall, the streets twisting and turning back on themselves.  Grand Boulevard down the centre of the city, with fountains that are heated to stop the water from freezing.  Led by a Commonwealth, the city is divided into Quarters and enclaves derived from the place of origin.  The Eastern Quarter, the Oceanic Quarter, the European Quarter...

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:30 am »

I read about an industrial park that has a centralized pumping station that provides compressed air for pneumatic equipment to all the shops in the park. Had history been a little different, such services might be more common.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:42 am »

How about an underwater floating pendulum city? Flat top for farming a fairly slender middle and a bulb end at the bottom. Power could be obtained by wave action and dropping down insulated funnels and fan tubes to catch the boiling water from hydrothermal vents. 

Luy22
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 04:09:59 am »

A domed city, protected from the smog-choked wasteland that surrounds it full of bandits and mutants. The only link to the rest of civilization is a train that is usually preyed upon by the bandits.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:33:42 am »

Is this community Dystopian, or Utopian?

Your Hell, is my paradise.
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:19 am »

Is this community Dystopian, or Utopian?

The assumption if Dystopia if he is going for a world war 1 and industrial inspired city.  Unless of course I am mistaken?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: