The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:38:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for great book of golden age travel...  (Read 657 times)
JeffOYB
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:40 am »

I saw a used book on the Golden Age of Travel. I should've bought it then and there. Now I can't find it or remember the title or google it up in any way. There are many variations on a title like that. The book I saw was hardcover, from the 1970's or earlier, and was about 9"x12"x1" in size. It covered the topics of travel by: ship, airship, auto, train. The period emphasis was Victorian. Anyone have any titles to suggest? It was a nice book, full of good photos, but maybe there are better ones out there. Anything about this subject appreciated. However, I've seen a few recent paperbacks that seem less than golden... Thanks! JP
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:13:38 am »

Tried Gutenberg, Manybooks, Mobileread, Bookyards, Digilibraries, and looked at the Wayback Machine...but I got nothin'...The Library of Congress is online, but I haven't had much luck with it...but it should be out there somewhere...
JeffOYB
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »

I could get bold again and phone the bookstore where I saw it. I called him about it last year, too! But forgot the title. I feel bad about calling, tho, coz they must know that when people want titles they're just googlin' for 'em rather than shopping from them. I'd happily buy from him but it was $50. I probably won't even buy but will get thru our majestic inter-library loan system.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:39:21 pm »

Other than the publication date being more recent than you mention, this sounds like a strong contender:

The Golden Age of Travel, 1880-1939
Alexis Gregory, 1991 (there are later editions published 1998/9)
Drawing on a wide range of illustrations, this volume surveys nearly a century of travel, from 1880 to 1939, and brings to life the grand age of the ocean liner, luxury train, private yacht and zeppelin, as well as the advent of the airliner.
Dimensions: 12.5" x 9.8" x 1"

A used copy of the first edition hardback will set you back $3 on Amazon, $17 for the later hardback or $4 for the later paperback editions.

Edit:
Out of interest, my Google Fu lead me to the search term
site:abebooks.co.uk book of golden age travel airship OR zeppelin -poster
JeffOYB
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:21 pm »

Hey, I found it! The rare book shop had their titles online so I found it that way. Whew! "Grand Days of Travel" by Charles Owen from 1979.
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »

I thought it was, "round the globe in 1920 Hours" by JRR Hartley.  Smiley

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
bofifniisa
Banned user
Swab

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 03:44:48 am »

A young American tourist goes on a guided tour of a creepy old castle in England.“How did you enjoy it?” the guide asked when it was over.“It was great,” the girl replied, “but I was afraid I was going to see a ghost in some of those dark passageways.”“No need to worry,” said the guide. “I have never seen a ghost in all the time I’ve been here.”“How long was that?” she asked.“Oh, about 300 years.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: