The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:05:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Open Champagne with a Saber  (Read 2908 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 02:55:11 am »

A lot of the old army style swords are slightly curved and they could not make them all illegal. It wouldn't stick.

Although the chap in the vid makes it look easy, it isn't. Try it and you'll see. Start with Pomagne!

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Burgess Shale
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 07:46:46 pm »

Done it many times, you can't drink from the neck though and expect it to spurt even more.

A very pale Carpathian acquaintance of mine has said the same thing, although in an entirely different context.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

"A very pale Carpathian acquaintance of mine has said the same thing, although in an entirely different context."

Are you referring to something naughty?

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:38 pm »

Nope!  He's being very clever though...think 1890's horror literature...

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 09:03:18 pm »

They aren't banned, it is Samurai swords that are banned, the description of a banned sword is one with a curved blade more than 29 inches in length. All others are fine.

Please forgive my cynicism, but are Samurai swords a big problem in the UK? Too many wily Japanese immigrants? Just seems a tad arbitrary.  From what I understand according to lore,  curved blades' purpose is to aid in cutting
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:11:37 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 03:29:24 am »

Apparently it's swords and knives in general; I remember reading (I think it was on BG, in fact) about a recent crackdown on what the poster quoted as "knife crime." I know no more than that. The post referred in particular to a "kilingon batleth" taken in a raid. Seems excessive to me, but I don't really know much about the criminal situation over there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:31:41 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2014, 08:09:01 pm »

To be fair, we in the U.S. tend to feel like knife-crime and blade-control laws are silly because we're awful busy killing each other with guns.  Most of the civilized world doesn't do that because they don't have access to guns the way we do!  So knife-crime is actually something to worry about and arguments for blade-control make some degree of sense.

Though like most Americans I hate it.  Cuz I wants my swords and big knives cuz The Constitution and Freedom and Old Glory and Bald Eagle and Freedom and Spangled Banner and Freedom.  Buh.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »

All it did was result in a reduction of proper Japanese Swords and a increase in cheep strait blade swords that want to be Japanese swords.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »

But who in blazes actually uses or knows how to use a batleth? Most people'd cut their extremities off just trying it out!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 07:38:22 pm »

But who in blazes actually uses or knows how to use a batleth? Most people'd cut their extremities off just trying it out!

Any baton waving acrobat could probably use one.
I could probably use one using a modified duel sword technique but as soon as someone hits me with a full on swing I would end up dropping it as my weak hand just releases anything after a suitable impact.

Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 08:37:29 pm »

I could probably use one using a modified duel sword technique but as soon as someone hits me with a full on swing I would end up dropping it as my weak hand just releases anything after a suitable impact.

Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
[/quote]

[nerd rant]Every time I see someone wielding a Batleh, it reminds me how poorly balanced such a weapon is (assuming you actually made the prop out of metal and is not a prop.  It looks cumbersome, heavy  and slow to use, the position of the hands is terrible. [/nerd rant]

No one would actually use a Batleh.  There is a reason why you don't find similar weapons in historical records.  The closest would be a short battle axe, which would make more sense.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:39:45 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 09:25:16 pm »

Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

[nerd rant]Every time I see someone wielding a Batleh, it reminds me how poorly balanced such a weapon is (assuming you actually made the prop out of metal and is not a prop.  It looks cumbersome, heavy  and slow to use, the position of the hands is terrible. [/nerd rant]

No one would actually use a Batleh.  There is a reason why you don't find similar weapons in historical records.  The closest would be a short battle axe, which would make more sense.
[/quote]Agreed the hand grips on it a in pad positions but a close match would be the double ended pole axe.

The weapon has the unique shape that it takes many disaplins to use. It can be used as a a sword, a pole, and axe or any of a number of different weapons.
While it is a double ended weapon, it is only a single edge.
I do not support or indorse the use of them as I prefer the katana (yes mine is curved!) or the short sword (I do have a long sword but can't undertake exercises with it due to nebours)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:42 am »

-Double post-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:29:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:05 am »

Agreed the hand grips on it a in pad positions but a close match would be the double ended pole axe.

The weapon has the unique shape that it takes many disaplins to use. It can be used as a a sword, a pole, and axe or any of a number of different weapons.
While it is a double ended weapon, it is only a single edge.
I do not support or indorse the use of them as I prefer the katana (yes mine is curved!) or the short sword (I do have a long sword but can't undertake exercises with it due to nebours)

Seems to me that even owning one might no be legal in your neck of the woods, entirely at the discretion of authorities (Wiki):
Legality

Replicas of the bat'leth are often made of metal and can be dangerous. A British police spokesman said that stainless steel bat'leth could "literally, take someone's head off".[29] Media reports documenting instances of replica bat'leths being used in crimes have referred to the weapon as a "double-pointed Klingon crescent-shaped sword",[30] a "Klingon-type sword",[30] a "Star Trek Klingon-type sword"[31] or as a "double-pointed scimitar".[32]

United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom, it is legal to possess a bat'leth on private property; however, they may be seized if they are considered to be "potential evidence of a criminal lifestyle."[33] They are classed as weapons, which makes it illegal to carry one in a public place.[23] A replica bat'leth was surrendered to Gloucestershire Constabulary as part of the 2006 knife amnesty in the UK.[29] In 2008, a miniature bat'leth was seized in Oxford after a 17-year-old was caught trying to smuggle it into a College. Police described the weapon as "most horrendous". The person was arrested and sentenced to six months in a young offenders' institution.[34] In 2009, a man from Billingham, County Durham, was arrested for possession of a miniature bat'leth in a public street. In the court documents, it was referred to as a "multi-bladed sword", and the judge said "I've never seen anything like it in my life before."[23] The accused pleaded guilty at Teesside Crown Court,[23] and he was later sentenced to thirteen weeks in prison. The court ordered that the bat'leth was to be forfeited and destroyed.[35] A custom-made bat'leth was seized in 2009 in Accrington, Lancashire.[33]
United States

The legality of the bat'leth in the United States differs between states. In 2009, a replica bat'leth was used in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in two armed robberies.[30] The Colorado Springs Police Department said that it was a deadly weapon.[21][36] In New Jersey, bat'leths are considered weapons and are liable to be seized.[37] The Federal Bureau of Investigation discovered and seized a bat'leth as part of a cache of weapons in connection with a $4 million Medicare fraud investigation in 2010.[38]
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 06:30:08 am »

ROFL, Klingon is officially recognised in the UK!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 01:00:46 pm »

bat'leths yeah. It does seem to break several important golden rules when it comes to weapon design. Centre of gravity, tipping points (balance) and the all important, keeping the pointy bits away from the wielder! As we all know the best way to win a battle is to dislocate both your wrists within the first 5 seconds. (!)

Still we should not forget it's a bloody big bit of sharpened metal and as such; effing lethal. To everyone involved. Choppy choppy!

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:00 am »

bat'leths yeah. It does seem to break several important golden rules when it comes to weapon design. Centre of gravity, tipping points (balance) and the all important, keeping the pointy bits away from the wielder! As we all know the best way to win a battle is to dislocate both your wrists within the first 5 seconds. (!)

Still we should not forget it's a bloody big bit of sharpened metal and as such; effing lethal. To everyone involved. Choppy choppy!

(RANT - Yes i am going to be the one to bring this up) Cars kill, name, injure far more stupid people (and there victims) then swords, yet cars are not banned!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 09:34:29 am »

There is the frequency issue (hell of a lot more cars than swords) also technically (and I just know this is going to start an argument) Swords, kind of designed for the specific purpose of killing things. Success with a car = you get where your going. Success with a sword = other guy annoying St Peter.

On a slightly less confrontational note. Any tool should be respected and understood. Sword, car, screwdriver or cocktail shaker. Don't pick it up unless you've at least taken advice on it's correct handling.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:55 pm »

Can one actually take someones head off with a bat'leth? I think this calls for Mythbusters. And while we are on the subject, I'd like to see if a Vulcan death grip actually could work.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 02:32:05 pm »

Trek-busters.

It sounds like a ratings winner to me! Anyone fancy popping over to the forum and laying out a list?

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/about-this-show/mythbusters-submit-a-myth.htm

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/about-this-show/talk-talk.htm

To make a good episode you'll need at least 3, might I humbly suggest:

1) Is a bat'leth a practical hand to hand weapon?

2) Is a vulcan neck pinch actually plausible as a way of rendering someone unconscious?

3) Is Captain Kirks fighting style in the original series a viable way of winning a fight?

Seems legit to me and one that will actually cause CHAOS on the discovery channels forums.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 07:26:35 pm »

*Snip*Success with a sword = other guy annoying St Peter. *Snip*
Lol, never thought of that!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 02:53:57 am »

Can one actually take someones head off with a bat'leth? I think this calls for Mythbusters. And while we are on the subject, I'd like to see if a Vulcan death grip actually could work.

I volunteer Justin Bieber as test subject...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 03:08:00 pm »

I volunteer Justin Bieber as test subject...
Why would you want to damage a perfectly good weapon?
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2014, 10:47:13 am »

I've been told it's a Brittisch English difference in spelling. Brittish spell Sabre, English spell Saber. But I agree, the Frensh spelling looks more classy. If we don't hang on to this, Champagne is bound to be spelled as Shampane or Shampain.

im pretty sure that British and English spellings are the same, considering England is in Britain, British spelling is sabre, american and sometimes in Britain it is spelled saber

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:58 am »

In all my years as being married to an English Teacher and being an avid user of professional English (journalism, technical documentation) I have never ever heard it spelt Saber in the UK. Being an owner of a Reliant Sabre and owning swords as well and an amateur historian I am certain that the spelling of it as saber in the UK would have been a simple error, having never ever, ever, ever encountered it in the US spelling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: