The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:51:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Open Champagne with a Saber  (Read 2975 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: May 11, 2014, 01:24:24 am »

Very valuable information.  Grin You may want to skip till about 60% of the video.

Champagne Saber Time

Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:53:37 am »

I found the entire video most educational! I may try that someday. Or not. (I am not currently in possession of a sword of any description, alas.
bronzo
Swab

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 10:17:53 pm »

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this Smiley Now only to find myself a saber. Do you have any suggestions about where to look?

Everyone's gotta let off some steam once in a while...
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »

Cold Steel

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:58:46 am »

Maybe a bastard sword...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:56:09 am »

Does it also work with a potatopeeler and a bottle of beer?

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:13:39 am »

Does it also work with a potatopeeler and a bottle of beer?

Only one way to find out!

*cue epic music*

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:34 pm »

I used to have a saber; still do, sort of. I shortened it to a "Branded" (Old TV western series) sword/knife, and then a few years later hid it in the joists under the floor of the attic when we had a burglary scare in the neighborhood. I put it under the insulation, wrapped in oily rags, burlap, and ticking, all bound together with massive amounts of masking tape -- and then promptly forgot which joists I hid it between. It's still up there, someplace. *sigh*
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »

Done it many times, you can't drink from the neck though and expect it to spurt even more.

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:26 pm »

I may be the oddball here, but other than for show and to impress, in modern times I don't see the point, mostly because of the presence of the safety wire cage.  By the time you have untwisted the wire cage, you are just one thumb push from either popping the cork, or using a towel, softly catching the cork in your hand.

http://www.wineintro.com/champagne/open/

On the other hand, it looks really cool and you get to spill half the bottle  Grin

Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:50 pm »

Seen it done, by a Prussian officer: he had a scar and monocle, full uniform, we were all in a house on the border with Transylvania, circa 1820, and we were later attacked by a horde of the undead, who brought along ghosts and the odd Igor for company; but it was the sabre/champagne bottle trick that sticks in my memory...

Dolli
Swab

Finland Finland

Hello guys!

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:11:04 pm »

That's a cool video and next time I'm drinking champagne I might try that.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 06:59:50 am »

I wonder if my kukri would work...
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:09 pm »

You cannot use a Kukri to open a champagne bottle unless you want to mix it with your own blood. I am sure it would be a better weapon to do the job but the implications to your own skin are too great to be allowed. Champagne mixed with strawberries is a good drink, but champagne with blood? Might suit the vampires amongst us.

With regard to the spelling of the word in the subject. It is really 'sabre' and not 'saber'. I know you lot can be a bit straightforward, spelling something the way it sounds - but the word is far more interesting and certainly more exotic in the original form - and I would say 'correct' spelling. American spelling reflects the solid republican manner way you speak our common language, but the word is French and it looks a lot more classy and 'right' in its original spelling. Try it out for a while. I used to own a car called a Sabre, it was quite an exotic car, glad it wasn't called a Saber.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:00:01 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:01 am »

I've been told it's a Brittisch English difference in spelling. Brittish spell Sabre, English spell Saber. But I agree, the Frensh spelling looks more classy. If we don't hang on to this, Champagne is bound to be spelled as Shampane or Shampain.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:42 am »

With regard to the spelling of the word in the subject. It is really 'sabre' and not 'saber'. I know you lot can be a bit straightforward, spelling something the way it sounds - but the word is far more interesting and certainly more exotic in the original form - and I would say 'correct' spelling. American spelling reflects the solid republican manner way you speak our common language, but the word is French and it looks a lot more classy and 'right' in its original spelling. Try it out for a while. I used to own a car called a Sabre, it was quite an exotic car, glad it wasn't called a Saber.

I've been told it's a Brittisch English difference in spelling. Brittish spell Sabre, English spell Saber. But I agree, the Frensh spelling looks more classy. If we don't hang on to this, Champagne is bound to be spelled as Shampane or Shampain.

Language differences and divergence of language are inevitable. Especially after the Americas became independent from Europe.

Analog, Analogue
Meter, Metre

The Spanish began spelling Mejico instead of Mexico shortly before Mexico became independent.  Someone named Xavier suddenly became Javier. Countless of other words, mostly proper names needed to be changed according to contemporary Spanish spelling, but in fact most of those words written in Mexican books retained their Renaissance period spelling.    After winning their independence, the Mexicans refused to get rid of the X in spite of the fact that this is Castillian Spanish not a Mexican language.  

In various parts of South America and Central America  you have  new kind of Spanish dialect emerging, based on the local custom of "voseo" in which "vos" a bastardised version of the "vosotros" (second person singular pronoun -- i.e.  "you" in plural ) is used but with a different conjugation and different meaning (in terms of deference to subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voseo).  By all rights this is a significant deviation from Castillian and  should be considered "bad Spanish."  But the custom is too wide spread to be stopped. I never though I'd have to relearn something like that if I ever go down there.

In contrast, Mexicans kept true to Castillian, but refused to change spelling on certain words ("X" above) and they only use the most modern of two modes of second person singular pronoun conjugation (Ustedes), while the Spanish use both old and new interchangeably (Vosotros, Ustedes).

Divergence of language is unstoppable.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:35:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 04:51:24 pm »

You know when I first saw this thread I immediately thought golf swing or baseball bat. But that, is positively elegant in execution. 

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 07:39:21 pm »

Maybe a bastard sword...
I use mine for decorating but alas I struggle to balance the sword and bottle.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »

Hmmm I can get hold of an indian sabre. It needs re-handling but it would suffice.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 09:36:42 pm »

Talwar?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:02 pm »

Possibly, it is not yet within my sphere of influence. Give me 2 months.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

Possibly, it is not yet within my sphere of influence. Give me 2 months.

You would need to deal under the table as curved blades are now banned!
Thats why a lot of swords have been removed in the UK and Katana's are now strait.

FYI the reason for sword canes was down to a very old law being passed preventing thin blades over a certain length.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »

The dude in the video, if we can trust his every word, says the trick can be done with any sweeping blade.  So, no bastard sword (which, tho in contrast to standard RPG colloquialisms, is actually the same thing as a Longsword, ask anyone who practices HEMA) as it's straight-bladed.  A Messer would work, a big Bowie knife maybe, cutlasses, etc. I think a kukri could work but would be REALLY tricky...you couldn't use the reverse-curved part, you'd have to use the last maybe quarter of the blade closest to the point at the foible where it begins to sweep in the proper angle.  Probably far more trouble and far more dangerous than it's worth.

Curved blades are banned in England?  We Americans are so spoiled...I literally have a pile of swords sitting on the floor in my room...curved ones, straight ones, practical ones, showy ones...I live with a handful of Steampunk folk, one of which, Mjr. Clive Hathoway, has an umbrella pot at the front door also full of swords.  I just bequeathed ANOTHER whole pile of swords I'm no longer interested in to my Nephew.  And if you're REALLY interested in swords, Lord Wraste on this Forum used to work for one of the highest-end sword making companies in the world.  Their fully-functional swords can be a grand or more pricewise, and they're the go-to peeps for all of the serious Western Martial Arts folks who need the Real Deal for test cuttings and so forth.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 08:51:28 pm »

They aren't banned, it is Samurai swords that are banned, the description of a banned sword is one with a curved blade more than 29 inches in length. All others are fine.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »

They aren't banned, it is Samurai swords that are banned, the description of a banned sword is one with a curved blade more than 29 inches in length. All others are fine.
My Mistake, I thought the Kukuri was part of that exception I didn't realise that it was in the knife category.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: