The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:56:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bullet Catcher's Daughter - cover design  (Read 1327 times)
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 02, 2014, 06:45:37 pm »

The Bullet Catcher's Daughter is my first novel in this genre. It will be published in September. They have just done an article on the cover design on tor.com and I thought it might be of interest.

I hope this is the correct thread to post it on - the book is not for sale yet so 'trading' did not seem quite the right place. But then again, this is a piece of design, so 'ocular' might be better. Please forgive me if I have placed it incorrectly.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/05/will-staehles-cover-art-for-the-bullet-catchers-daughter

pakled05
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:19:03 am »

Like the three at the bottom the best.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »

I like the one that was chosen.

RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »

They say you should not judge a book by its cover, but... it is very hard not to.

I would expect the other designs to appeal to some people on this forum - with an appreciation for that kind of aesthetic. But my guess is that the design they went with will possibly pique the interest of a wider audience. We will see.

The author is probably the last person to be able to form a good judgement on such a question. Smiley
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »

You're probably right that the chosen design will appeal to a wider audience, but the other three would be the ones I would actually have picked up, rather than passed over (I would have assumed--erroneously--that the tale told between the covers of the chosen design to be a mundane offering). But then, the marketing folk hopefully know what they're up to.

Based on the artist's rationale, I'd have likely gone with #3 of the rejected designs.

p.s. I'll be adding this title to the list of steampunk novels (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42449.0.html) later this week, if not today.

Good luck!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:03:00 am »

Your book is now on the list. As soon as you know, let me know the names of the following books; I'll post them as "pending" until they're actually released.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:53:32 am »

This one is pending until publication date in September - though the advanced review copies will be out very soon.

On that... if you would like an advanced copy for the purpose of writing a brief review, please let me know.

Smiley
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:40:42 pm »

Oh, I'm hardly a literary critic, but thanks for the offer. (No, seriously, I am flattered, but I do not have a marketable name.)

I will amend the list to reflect its pending status.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:18:30 am »

Literary critics may have their place. But the most valuable review is an honest opinion shared among people who might be interested.

I like looking at what readers have said about my work on goodreads and bookcrossing - because the opinions tend to be straightforward and honest.

Smiley
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:10:04 pm »

Would I have to join one or more of these forums? I'm willing to help, but I wouldn't be free to do so until June.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:40:55 am »

Hi there,

No need to join any other forum. Just say what you think on this forum Smiley

If anyone would be interested in doing an advanced review, just send me a private message here and I can pass your email address along to the publisher.

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:17 pm »

PM'd you!

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

Done.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 05:33:11 am »

I like both the chosen one and the leftmost of the bottom three. I'd say I'd be likely to pick both up off the shelf, and I'm not sure which I would be more likely to grab.

I imagine the 'average joe' would pick out the chosen one, whereas I or another steampunk enthusiast would be likely to pick out one of the bottom three because we'd recognise it as probably being a steampunk work.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:57 am »

I hope that everyone who asked for an advance review copy got one.

The following review just turned up in Publishers Weekly:

"Steeped in illusion and grounded in an alternative history of the Luddite Rebellion, Duncan’s strong supernatural mystery serves ably as both a standalone adventure and the start to a series. A rebellion has divided the United Kingdom into two republics. The prose’s arch-Victorian tone establishes both character and place in the voice of the admirably driven Elizabeth Barnabus, who poses as her nonexistent twin brother, Edwin, in order to work as a private detective in the starchy, straight-laced Anglo-Scottish Republic. Strategically placed steampunk tropes inform but do not overwhelm Elizabeth’s headlong quest to find a missing aristocrat sought by the Patent Office, which is fixated on both achieving perfection and eliminating “unseemly science.” A hazardous border crossing into the permissively corrupt Kingdom of England and Southern Wales provides ample excitement, and a glossary at the novel’s conclusion hints enticingly at a much more involved story to come. (Sept.) "

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-85766-530-0
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

One bathtub scene, coming right up!

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 06:36:57 pm »

Nice cover! Very eye-catching, and yes, I think it's more marketable than the other styles. Because, after all, this is about selling books.

Congrats on the great review from PW! I look forward to the release. Smiley

Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »

The novel has just been shortlisted for the Philip K. Dick award. You can see the other shortlisted novels here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/2014-philip-k-dick-award-nominees-announced/
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:18 pm »

Hey congratulations on making the shortlist RodDuncan!  That's quite the achievement.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

My novel Satin and Sutherland: The Golden Curse is available now!  Check out my website www.sealeftstudios.com for a sample, trailers, and more.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »

Thanks Richard. It is a hugely respected award, so I feel I am a winner already for being shortlisted. The other books on the list look really good, so I have no expectation of progressing further. I mean, Cherie Priest is on the shortlist! I love her work. I am, as they say, a happy bunny. Smiley
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »

Well done.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 11:32:09 am »

Congratulations!

When will the winner be announced?
Pages: [1]   Go Up