The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 02:15:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penny Dreadful (TV Series)  (Read 4508 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2014, 06:43:38 pm »

It is what it is that's all I'm saying. They've made a few gaffs with historical accuracy, but I'm sure that's perfectly deliberate as well. I am enjoying the fact there is a good variety of period stuff happening at the moment. I see one of the actresses from Peaky Blinders turned up briefly (sorry can't remember her name, but she was Malfoy's mum in Harry Potter as well). And I like the fact that seems to happen quite regularly with a lot of these shows, and kind of illustrates to me that the various directors are obviously aware of each others work. I just think there's potential for a whole heap of fun with this series, and the deliberate crossovers and homage to classic screen monsters will certainly be an element I'll enjoy. Will they stop short of The Invisible Man? guess we'll have to watch this space to find out.  Cheesy

Helen McCrory?

I'm still shocked that Mr US knows the right of Exorcism!
They need leave some monsters for another season but i'm quite sup prised that only the first two episodes were written!
I think all this travel study for the nile may be to set up S2 for the journey and for the appearance of "The Mummy"
I also hope that Mr Quatermain makes an appearance as Mr Helsing was killed off!

*Edited as post was autocorrected into nonsense*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:31:38 am by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 12:03:51 am »

Helen McCrory, that's the bunny thank you. Perhaps she'll end up as the invisible woman.

Well quite, definitely one of the more intriguing mysteries. Obviously a man with a Theological education and a fluent Latin speaker no less. And who is this mysterious father of his? evidently a high ranking military person, a Major General Sam Houston type figure I'll wager, but does he share the same Lycanthropic predilections? I'm pretty sure Van Helsing was indeed killed off, he looked pretty killed to me. Which is a shame actually because seeing David Warner in anything is always a great pleazire. I seem to recall the last time I saw him he was falling through a hole in the Titanic.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:13:53 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:44 am »

Helen McCrory, that's the bunny thank you. Perhaps she'll end up as the invisible woman.

Well quite, definitely one of the more intriguing mysteries. Obviously a man with a Theological education and a fluent Latin speaker no less. And who is this mysterious father of his? evidently a high ranking military person, a Major General Sam Houston type figure I'll wager, but does he share the same Lycanthropic predilections? I'm pretty sure Van Helsing was indeed killed off, he looked pretty killed to me. Which is a shame actually because seeing David Warner in anything is always a great pleazire. I seem to recall the last time I saw him he was falling through a hole in the Titanic.

Mr Hellsing was indeed killed off!
My post was autocorrected into nonsense on posting!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 09:29:35 am »

Mr Hellsing was indeed killed off!
My post was autocorrected into nonsense on posting!

Ah of course.

Again I'd be surprised if Quatermain actually did show up, as I suspect Sir Malcolm is possibly their equivalent of that role, and I would imagine they are trying to avoid too many LOEG comparisons. Which is actually not something I think they should worry about too much, because folks are making them anyway, and it's not like Alan Moore is going to care. Still we'll see, no doubt they are taking the consumer feedback on board.

Of course if the proper LOEG TV series that was being discussed a while back comes to fruition, that might queer things a little. But actually I doubt it will, in fact I kind of assumed that had definitely gone by the wayside, and hence Penny Dreadful came along to fill the gap.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 06:47:36 pm »

LAME.

Cant wait for series 2 Grin

~SeVeN~

Ah so morish but bad for the soul? So a bit like crack then?

Penny dreadful: It's like TV crack but without the pipes, dealers or the fuzz kicking down the door every other week......

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:33 am »

OMG what a series ending,
Mr Cowboy is starting to turn into an interesting character.

Do they or don't they go to Africa?
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 06:26:46 am »

My pet peeves are the lack of no compelling atagonists / villans , a lack of horror and Frakenstein .

Frakenstein is esp disappointing , as was Van H's death imo.

Overall 7/10 for me - good but could be better

High points - Miss Ives & Mr Chandler

Lows - In general the villans / slow pace and lingering on certain things i.e.  Frakenstein ( both of them ) who do nothing for me or the plot much
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:33:02 am by 4_0_4 » Logged

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2014, 10:35:10 am »

Its obvious ... the next villain will be Dr. Jekyle
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

Its obvious ... the next villain will be Dr. Jekyle

It could be argued that Dr Frankinstiens experiments into life and death turned him into Dr Jekle and Mr hide and that the name change was to cover his identity and the mistake.
Steam_Radio
Gunner

Hello And Welcome to Yesterday's World of Tomorrow

bigdogdiggle
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 01:55:13 pm »

Along with Deadwood probably the best thing on the Gogglebox for I don't know how long, shocked to my soul (such as it is) in places, a bit more that even I was expecting, (and I can take a shock quite well) but this was quite unnervingly so, I would not wish to watch any episode so far with pleasant company, but on my own or with a fellow admirer of the macabre, no problem, roll on series 2

Have you notice that people who do the least have the most toys
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2015, 10:14:55 am »

I know this is an olde worlde topic.

Has anyone watched the second series/ season 2?

If so, is it worth the effort? I think I've found it online, should I go for 10 hours or forget it?

Opinions and reviews please.

Thanks.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2015, 11:45:44 am »

I've only just picked up Season 1 DVD in a bargain bin in the supermarket.
I'll watch it later and see what I've been missing by not having Pick or whatever channel showed it.

Also got both series of 'Black Sails' for under a tenner. Bonus.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »

Season 2 is much like season 1, with better accents. Though I think it does become clearer that they care more about great visuals than a believable plot.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2015, 03:52:32 pm »

I'm sure I have seen an add for season 3 already!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2015, 06:15:32 pm »

I'm sure I have seen an add for season 3 already!

''On June 16, 2015, Showtime renewed Penny Dreadful for a nine-episode third season to air in 2016..''

So...yes.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2015, 08:10:36 pm »

Have all the Season Two episodes aired? If so, it's only a matter of time before it hits DVD.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:05 pm »

Have all the Season Two episodes aired? If so, it's only a matter of time before it hits DVD.

Amazon states 26 october for the dvd release.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2015, 09:38:02 pm »

Whoo-hoo! Sounds like an All Hallow's Eve marathon is now on the calendar at our haunted home...

Thanks for the info!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2015, 06:22:28 am »

Whoo-hoo! Sounds like an All Hallow's Eve marathon is now on the calendar at our haunted home...

Thanks for the info!

No worries, been buying up box sets out of boredom of late.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2015, 06:44:51 am »

No worries, been buying up box sets out of boredom of late.

We've been buying them of late since we finally rid ourselves of the cable. I'm going to miss Talking Dead this season, but other than that and the weather, we haven't been missing it.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »

Target stores (U.S.) beat Amazon, I guess; I saw Season 2 on the shelves yesterday (October 10; checking their website, they say it was released October 6), Blu-Ray and DVD. Wasn't budgeted, but next week...

(...And then I'm going to have to just stare at it, like an addict stares at the object of his/her addiction to test their resolve, since I still want to make it the "post-handing-out-candy-on-the-porch" movie marathon...)

http://www.target.com/p/penny-dreadful-season-two/-/A-50023067#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=penny+dreadful+season+2

p.s. I just  checked at Amazon; looks like it's already available there, too. I guess they got them in earlier than they expected.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011MUA8B2?keywords=penny%20dreadful%20season%20two&qid=1444573544&ref_=sr_1_1&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »

It would be cheaper just to sign up to HBO for a month and stream the whole series from there.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2015, 05:45:05 pm »

On this POS computer...?

But no, I didn't even know that sort of thing (month-only subscription) was an option. Thanks.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2016, 07:59:44 pm »

The third season will soon be upon us.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2016, 08:16:47 pm »

The third season will soon be upon us.

Intensely looking forward to it, even if the only way I can watch it at the moment is to wait for the DVD release.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: