The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 06:37:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penny Dreadful (TV Series)  (Read 4383 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 04:22:32 pm »

Mr Gray, gets around a bit doesn't he? Very good at pressing peoples buttons.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 06:52:42 pm »

He certainly presses mine, for all the wrong reasons. Leather jeans, loadsa man bling, 90's boyband reject haircut, an alarming lack of hats when outdoors, all in 1800's London no less...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might as well have put him in black nail varnish and guy liner.  Roll Eyes

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Evangeline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 07:13:38 pm »

We are watching it and enjoying it somewhat, although most of our entertainment comes from trying to predict who Mr Gray will f**k this week and mimicking French and Saunders 'are you gonna do the accent' every time Miss Piper speaks  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM2meejS-ls
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:33 pm »

Lol, it's been over thirty years since I read it, but I don't believe I've ever seen a single filmic depiction of Dorian Gray as a blonde, which I recall he was in the book. They've certainly got the narcissistic peacock for whom every hole's a goal bit right.

I can't help but find it ironic, that they actually filmed it in Ireland, and yet chose to have a woman from Swindon playing an Irish person. Katie McGrath not available ay?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »

Aside from the DIRE quality of Billie Piper's accent, and the fact that she's basically playing the stock Victorian character of 'consumptive doxy' I've got to admit I'm not impressed with the show. Ok yeah, the sets and costumes are really nice and I do spend a fair bit of time drooling over them, but the plot just doesn't work, I'd personally rather watch Ripper Street since (if nothing else) the style and plots are so much more cohesive.

*Massive pedantry rant involving potential plot spoilers ahead*

About the only reason I'm still watching is to carry on eying up the costumes and props for ideas (and to see if my hunch plays out).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 09:36:53 pm »

Wait, what chandler and not chandler?
I thought that scene was leading to something good.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 11:49:50 am »

We are watching it and enjoying it somewhat, although most of our entertainment comes from trying to predict who Mr Gray will f**k this week and mimicking French and Saunders 'are you gonna do the accent' every time Miss Piper speaks  Wink

Dearest Evangeline,

Your insight is only matched by your capacity to set the stage for a truly EPIC venture.......

The Penny Dreadful drinking game!

There are so many conventions here (intended and otherwise) that you could easily hang partial liver failure off 2-3 episodes for all concerned. If I may begin?

American looking pensive.
Possessed woman being mad/possessed/flirting outragously
Frankenstein getting chatted up/doctoring/stalked/taking drugs
Billy Piper pouting/coughing up blood/failing to be irish
Mr Gray shagging/being very bored indeed
Timmo being steely eyed/a bit of a self serving git

Please feel free to adjust/add any I've missed.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 05:10:21 pm »

All that crap about calling for a priest and wait.... he knew how to do it all along.

Nooooooooooooooo next week is the last episode in S1!

Thank god that we will get a second season.

.... I wonder how many irish and half irish are getting annoyed with her acting in this series.
Evangeline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »

Dearest Evangeline,

Your insight is only matched by your capacity to set the stage for a truly EPIC venture.......

The Penny Dreadful drinking game!

There are so many conventions here (intended and otherwise) that you could easily hang partial liver failure off 2-3 episodes for all concerned. If I may begin?

American looking pensive.
Possessed woman being mad/possessed/flirting outragously
Frankenstein getting chatted up/doctoring/stalked/taking drugs
Mr Gray shagging/being very bored indeed
Timmo being steely eyed/a bit of a self serving git

Please feel free to adjust/add any I've missed.

We were thinking that ourselves Smiley
Additions:

Frankenstein is accosted/stared at from a distance by his creation
Vanessa uses very bad words!
Timmo mentions finding Mina
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 08:44:54 pm »

I also got a touch of "The Phantom of the opera" in one episode as the monster stood in the gallery with his hair covering the scar on his cheek.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »

Mr Gray, gets around a bit doesn't he? Very good at pressing peoples buttons.

That what they're calling it these days?

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:35 pm »

Well I could have said "f**king everything in sight like a proper earth momma" but it sounds a little coarse, wouldn't you agree?
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 03:56:30 pm »

Well I could have said "f**king everything in sight like a proper earth momma" but it sounds a little coarse, wouldn't you agree?

Well if the cap fits....  Grin
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »

That's more than 3 words.....

Sir.

Cheesy

Back to the drinking game:

Vanessa, (ah! That's her name! I just thought she was just "possessed mad wench") gets a bit Suárez on anyone within easy reach.
For they are tasty and go well with chips........ Nom nom!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:06:48 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »

Curses! Foiled again!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 10:11:23 am »

Vanessa, (ah! That's her name! I just thought she was just "possessed mad wench") gets a bit Suárez on anyone within easy reach.
For they are tasty and go well with chips........ Nom nom!
I do believe that now canabals have arrived, the forum now cover the wide variety of biological species.
Do you want some some fava beans and a nice chianti to go with that?
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:53 pm »

Well I finally watched the last two episodes last night. Personally I really enjoyed it, although the whole series has obviously been set up for a second (which is a risky business these days).

That's not to say it's without it's flaws but still, now that everything is properly in place, I think the potential is pretty vast. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it in future.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »

I'm not sure but I think that for season 2 they have changed the actress that plays Mina as the lady in the interview had a different name to Mina.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 03:03:09 pm »

IMHO one word sums this up.......... LAZY.

Lets throw a load of money at a Ripper Street rip off, get as many classic monsters and characters as we can, get Eva get yer baps out Green, convince Billie piper to go naked (people wont notice her crap accent) , concoct a farce and try to desperately appeal to a wide audience.

Oh, while we are at it, lets chuck in a bit of Phantom at the opera, Exorcist and  American Werewolf in London.........

LAME.

Cant wait for series 2 Grin

~SeVeN~

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2014, 03:07:59 pm »

IMHO one word sums this up.......... LAZY.

Lets throw a load of money at a Ripper Street rip off, get as many classic monsters and characters as we can, get Eva get yer baps out Green, convince Billie piper to go naked (people wont notice her crap accent) , concoct a farce and try to desperately appeal to a wide audience.

Oh, while we are at it, lets chuck in a bit of Phantom at the opera, Exorcist and  American Werewolf in London.........

LAME.

Cant wait for series 2 Grin

~SeVeN~

Um, how does one answer that?
At least its not football or that godforsaken Big Brother Crap.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »

Dont watch football or any television crap (or television at all actually), I was only saying this was not original. Everything in it was a rip off of something better, badly sewn together to make a series.

Thats my view, if you like it, so be it and all well n good, I have no problem with that, I did love the scenery and attention to detail.

~SeVeN~
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2014, 03:50:45 pm »

Dont watch football or any television crap (or television at all actually), I was only saying this was not original. Everything in it was a rip off of something better, badly sewn together to make a series.

Thats my view, if you like it, so be it and all well n good, I have no problem with that, I did love the scenery and attention to detail.

~SeVeN~

See my rant on the previous page.

However, although I've yet to see the final episode I'm glad to see that my opinion of its' conception has been vindicated, and that probably explains why the overall plot has gone nowhere, because it wasn't meant to, or at the very least not in the way it has been presented.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:52:50 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2014, 04:17:16 pm »

Sure, but it is the same kind of mashup idea as LOEG, just without the Steampunk elements (which I'm guessing they might've eschewed to avoid too many comparisons). I like the fact that Sir Malcolm has that Allan Quatermain/Cecil Rhodes thing going on (not one of British histories more pleasant characters) and I also like the fact he's now armed with a Mauser C96 haha! There are certainly no black and white heroes here, which always works for me.

But yes it is called Penny Dreadful after all, so tying up all the classic monsters makes perfect sense and I wouldn't describe that as lazy exactly. We've yet to see Dr Jeckyll, but some equivalent in future epis wouldn't surprise me. I guess they've touched on the Mummy already with the inevitable Egyptian connection. It's great, it's got everything, and we might even get some kind of Steampunky mad scientist character in future who knows? The world of Victorian Gothic and industrial innovation is now their Oyster.

I'd also like to say there's nothing wrong with Eva Green's baps. In fact I think at this point, it's well established that with such a magnificent promotional tool at your disposal, you could probably sell snow to Eskimos. And she will of course be forever granted a free pass because...French!

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2014, 04:48:57 pm »

OK. Maybe I didnt get the drift. After reading the last reply, I admit I may have got this all wrong.

I watch alot of movies and series and one thing that grips my bits it lack of original script and ideas.

The latest Tom Cruise movie had me spitting  Roll Eyes

I may have to re-think now........ Thanks Mr Fairbrass.

Oh, and, Miss Green does have fine baps  Tongue

~SeVeN~
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »

It is what it is that's all I'm saying. They've made a few gaffs with historical accuracy, but I'm sure that's perfectly deliberate as well. I am enjoying the fact there is a good variety of period stuff happening at the moment. I see one of the actresses from Peaky Blinders turned up briefly (sorry can't remember her name, but she was Malfoy's mum in Harry Potter as well). And I like the fact that seems to happen quite regularly with a lot of these shows, and kind of illustrates to me that the various directors are obviously aware of each others work. I just think there's potential for a whole heap of fun with this series, and the deliberate crossovers and homage to classic screen monsters will certainly be an element I'll enjoy. Will they stop short of The Invisible Man? guess we'll have to watch this space to find out.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: