The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:32:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penny Dreadful (TV Series)  (Read 4386 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: April 26, 2014, 11:59:57 pm »

Penny Dreadful (TV Series) is due to be shown on (Sky) Pick TV in the UK soon.

Not sure, if it will be in the (same) vein of "TXLoG" though.

First episode:- 11, May, 2014

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:01:58 am »

Just saw the first episode, available at all good privateer sites, quite interesting, well put together, and the costumes are amazing.

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:02 pm »

It's going to be on Sky 'Atlantic' in the UK and not Sky 'Pick'.

Therefore it's yet another TV series I will not be watching on TV.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

Showtime have decided to share the pilot episode on Youtube:
Penny Dreadful Season 1: Episode 1 Full Episode (TVMA)

Alternatively you can watch it on the showtime website.

Unfortunately both are blocked outside of the US, but I'd thought I'd share it for anybody stateside (or for anyone who knows how to circumvent these blocks).

Update: It seems the pirates have been busy... it's already available to download from nefarious online sources.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:14:38 pm by Michael Farley » Logged

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:15 pm »

You are correct, sorry about the misinformation.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »

You are correct, sorry about the misinformation.

No problem. Probably was the original plan.
Esteem Punk
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:22:51 am »

"The uploader has not made this video available to your country".
So I was forced to find it by other means. Way to go  Roll Eyes
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:38 am »

I watched this last night, fantastic ... I can't wait to see the next episode ... even if Captain Jack Sparrow has to help me get it.
Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:14:26 am »

Vid didn't work down under

What Is A Penny Dreadful? (Production Blog #1)

SHOULD be a playlist of the production blog....

Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:22 pm »

I watched the episode on the Showtime site, but I'm confused...Everything says it doesn't premiere until this Sunday (May 11); has it already aired in Britain and/or elsewhere?
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »

I watched the episode on the Showtime site, but I'm confused...Everything says it doesn't premiere until this Sunday (May 11); has it already aired in Britain and/or elsewhere?

No, they've just shared the pilot online a couple of weeks early to generate "buzz" (so all the people who watched it online have a fortnight to recommend to everybody who hasn't).
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:25:38 am »

No, they've just shared the pilot online a couple of weeks early to generate "buzz" (so all the people who watched it online have a fortnight to recommend to everybody who hasn't).

So was it a pilot, or in fact episode one? I now have that (haven't watched it yet) but I'm wondering when episode 2 will be aired? Excuse my confusion but I normally consider a pilot a sort of pre series showcase. It may not work that way anymore I'm uncertain.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 03:00:17 am »

It doesnt, I don't think. The pilot episode is the first episode.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 07:06:05 pm »

My lady has told me that Showtime also plans on releasing the second episode online for free. Afterwards, we're cut off (she said they were very specific about that).

So, Episode 1 for the taste, Episode 2 for the addiction...What's that, you say? You want another hit of that? Oh, well, now it's gonna cost ya...

If that's what they're doing, I'd say someone in marketing is definitely earning their paycheck...
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:15 pm »

Puts on 'Cynical Hat'.

I'll just buy the cheap DVD in the supermarket when it's cancelled after 13 episodes.

Takes off 'Cynical Hat'.

Cheesy
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 09:15:28 pm »

I just don't get it, the revenue some of these companies are missing out on is insane. I really don't approve of digital piracy, and I don't appreciate being tempted into supporting it because these idiots are too proud to free up their shows online.

Game Of Thrones would be the classic case in point.  I reckon some people would be willing to pay what? £3, maybe even £5 per episode in HD if they could get it from Amazon or similar. The company say they don't care about piracy, but the amount of copyright strikes I encounter when searching for it would indicate otherwise.

And what champs my nuts is increasingly the pirates are charging, at least for decent download speeds as well as often trying to put dodgy files on your computer so it's not exactly ideal. It can still be got for free at high quality if you're willing to spend as much as a day downloading it. I'm on Virgin and they block access to the better known pirate sites. But most people are aware of how to use a proxy and they know they'll never stamp it out completely.

But nonetheless it's all a huge hassle I for one would much rather pay the actual companies to avoid. Just put 'em online for God's sake gaaaah!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »

I just don't get it, the revenue some of these companies are missing out on is insane. I really don't approve of digital piracy, and I don't appreciate being tempted into supporting it because these idiots are too proud to free up their shows online.

Game Of Thrones would be the classic case in point.  I reckon some people would be willing to pay what? £3, maybe even £5 per episode in HD if they could get it from Amazon or similar. The company say they don't care about piracy, but the amount of copyright strikes I encounter when searching for it would indicate otherwise.

And what champs my nuts is increasingly the pirates are charging, at least for decent download speeds as well as often trying to put dodgy files on your computer so it's not exactly ideal. It can still be got for free at high quality if you're willing to spend as much as a day downloading it. I'm on Virgin and they block access to the better known pirate sites. But most people are aware of how to use a proxy and they know they'll never stamp it out completely.

But nonetheless it's all a huge hassle I for one would much rather pay the actual companies to avoid. Just put 'em online for God's sake gaaaah!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

~SeVeN~

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 09:35:51 pm »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

~SeVeN~

Haha! well he had better luck than me, but that sums it up nicely.  Cheesy
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:02 pm »

It looks like it will air in the UK on May 20 on Sky Atlantic

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist
OsirisFrame
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:30:52 pm »

The first series DVD is now being listed on Amazon, but without a release date.

As a Sky subscriber, I've been able to see it and am hooked. It's better than the recent "Dracula" which was nothing more than a vanity project for Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.

It's also got a second season commissioned, so it's looking good going forward. (Having said that both "Copper" and "Ripper Street" were cancelled after their second seasons. Luckily we got a reprieve on the second show!)

Stare into the aether - what do you see?
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 06:40:44 am »

Sadly once again I've been forced into criminality to see it. But yes, thoroughly enjoying it and will buy the DVD just to show support, even if I do currently have it at Blu Ray quality???

I keep saying it, but just put these shows online straight away guys, you're losing this battle and then some!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »

There are moments when the show slows (and billy pipers accent sucks) but the last episode was, well, interesting.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 03:11:30 pm »

I watched the whole series back to back this morning (online streaming).

Not sure......

I may have to watch again but leaning toward Ripper Street as better viewing at the moment.

~SeVeN~
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:06:56 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 09:06:07 pm »

I watched the whole series back to back this morning (online streaming).

Not sure......

That last episode was so exorcist I almost stopped half way through.

I may have to watch again but leaning toward Ripper Street as better viewing at the moment.

~SeVeN~

Hay, what?
That almost required a *Spoiler* tag!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 08:34:45 am »

A second series has been confirmed in an interview on "Good Morning Britian"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print