The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 02:36:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good/reliable skeletonised pocket watch?  (Read 3420 times)
emacsomancer
Deck Hand
Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

« on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:28 am »

Can I have recommendations on good, reliable (as in not dying/breaking easily) skeleton/skeletonised/skeletonized pocket watches?

I would generally go for an older/antique watch, but there are vanishingly few of those which are skeletonised.

[I don't necessarily mind a Chinese movement - I have a reasonably attractive skeletonised wrist-watch with what must be a Chinese movement inside and I've had it and used it daily for at least 3-4 years (and it was ~10 years old when I bought it), so I would consider it reliable (though it is bloody loud, probably because of its cheap plastic "crystals").]

This one looks interesting, but I have no idea how good it may be/not be:  http://www.britishwatchcompany.com/gents-rotary-skeleton-dial-mechanical-pocket-watch-MP0072521-p5897

emacsomancer
Deck Hand

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:39 am »

This one is pretty gorgeous but out of my price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Swiss-Hass-Neveux-Skeleton-Pocket-Watch-See-through-Case-W-Display-Box-/201076182235?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item2ed1130cdb

(for when the listing goes down)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:06:13 am by emacsomancer » Logged
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

mgfarley
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »

This one looks interesting, but I have no idea how good it may be/not be:  http://www.britishwatchcompany.com/gents-rotary-skeleton-dial-mechanical-pocket-watch-MP0072521-p5897

I've had a Rotary skeleton pocket watch for the last few years (the MP00723/21). I used it every day at work for about a year but then I changed jobs. It wasn't practical any more so now I only wear it at weekends.

I've never had any problem with it and it's always kept good time (even when it's been sat unwound in the bottom of a drawer for weeks at a time). The one you posted is a slightly different model (MP00725/21) but the movements look virtually identical, so I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:18 pm »

It really is a pity about the quality of Chinese watches. I was looking some over at a convention yesterday and some of the designs are rather striking.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
emacsomancer
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:01:46 am »

I actually ended up getting a "Grossex" Swiss movement with Incabloc off of eBay. I would guess it's from the 70s or 80s; it's partially skeletonised and in a hunter case, and was less than US$100, so I'm satisfied for the nonce.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:01:00 pm »

I've had  three skeleton Hunter watches all bought from  China for amounts less than their postage. They look nice but none of them lasted longer than about  6 months before they either broke, or stopped keeping good time.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:55:02 am »

Emacsomancer, surely, you must now post several pics of your find for all to oggle!  Grin

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
emacsomancer
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:45 pm »

Emacsomancer, surely, you must now post several pics of your find for all to oggle!  Grin

Here are a couple:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:03:48 pm by emacsomancer » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 02:26:24 am »

Awesome score!

And thanks for showing. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: