The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:50:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 97th Annual Time Machine Expo and Regatta  (Read 2345 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 07:32:17 am »

Brantley's attention suddenly zeroed in, every sense, human, Chthugan, 'Thuloid martian, innate sixth, everything concentrated on that suddenly-uttered question. 'Time-capsule, showing up where it shouldn't?!' the thought hammered into and through his multiple-species brain and ancillary mnemonic organs as he set the mug down abrubtly.

Bloody hell, of course, "The Navigator!" The whole story suddenly got dredged up into his forebrain and unfolded. The laundry list of weird travelling devices appearances and odd reports, usually after the fact, went on and on.

"Navigator, are you saying that your ship is here, now? Or will be?" he asked, perhaps more testily than intended or warranted. It was not exactly contraband, or a temporally-dangerous artifact, this ship of the Navigator's. Unfortunately, it was not exactly not contraband, or innocuous, either, and the last he'd heard, some of the Eleven Planes' plug uglies were wanting it for nefarious purposes. So that's it, he raged inside his skull, They want me to rope this thing and neutralize the threat. Why can't they send Beltane or Jack after it? Jack's got the ship, after all. "I think we'd better get ahold of it, and quick..."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:18:35 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 08:30:24 am »

[Note: as of this posting time I'm having a talk with MWBailey about some of the character details above.]

The Navigator looked to Brantley, trying to process what this turn of events might be about. "Well..." He said with a grin. "You're welcome to try, that is, if we can find it, and if it ends up being here. The first, I might add, is probably a bigger if than the latter, I've been tracking it for about thirteen years and I don't even know an easy way to find it here, there's so many time eddies and cross-threads that you can't detect it, other than by going out and looking for it and hoping we trip over it and I happen to recognize whatever it looks like this time."

He stared at his tea cup, swirling the bits of leaves and remaining tea around in the bottom. Oddly enough, this wasn't the first time he'd used this particular argument, but it was the first time it had ever ended up being true.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 03:38:12 pm »

Brantley took out a cigarette case, faux crocodile accented with gold fittings. "Would a ship help, or can you travel without one?" he asked.

Forcing himself into the travelling state the Thuloids and Chthugans used, on one hand, was tedious and actually hurt a bit, but he could do it. The brick, on another hand, was a bit antiquated compared to many of the devices now in use, but like a magnum revolver or his Mauser, it still worked well, sometimes better than more sophisticated machines, and it was designed to avoid the Thread Paradox threat - and it was already in his possession, which a newer device, or an actual timeship, was not, right at that moment.

The Beau Rosin was a small airship with an integral modified Chronojammer, similar to the device that had nearly destroyed time and space and had prompted the formation of the Committee all those eons ago, but it could carry all of the people at the table and then some, and was actually armed for warlike purposes if such became necessary- and authorized to do so by A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. and the Committee.

He opened the cigarette case, revealing a miniaturized sub-etha telephony set, complete with a tiny oscilloscope and needle dials. He stuck the earbud into his ear and pressed a couple of tiny studs.

"I can do either," he continued, "but believe me, it hurts a lot less to use a ship. I'll try to secure one, a sort of 'Chronogunboat,' if you like. It's the only one available to me, that is if it's not on a mission of it's own." He punched in the callsign on the tiny keypad, but his finger hesitated over the transmission stud, waiting for a reply.

(OOC: previous post modified and this one hopefully set in proper context and play form)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:41:00 pm by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 12:19:26 am »

Brantley suddenly screamed as a certain circuit was triggered by mistake in the cigarette case, causing an instantaneous chain reaction in the time brick. A flash, and suddenly there was nothing left but a pile of ashes upon the table, chair, and floor. Of the Timebrick and the cigarette case, or in fact any of the man's effects, there was no sign whatsoever; he had, effectively, burned instantaneously in the fires of judgement, or in his personal case, misjudgement.

(OOC: I will no longer be posting in this thread, as it has become apparent that I no longer have a talent for collaboration and have begun to lack the people skills to converse effectively. To those of you who feel wronged by my actions in this thread, I apologize humbly. That is all).
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 04:38:24 am »

Young Sally's bright green eyes nearly exploded out of her head in shock, her closeness to Jake's side now becoming so rushed that she was almost behind him, pushing him off his chair as he was pushed up against the edge of the table.

"Migawd, what happened to him..?", she looked down at the figures she had just scratched in the tabletop, "... did I do that? It was just an ancient Ward, not even a Banishment - just an old superstition I got from my Gran..."

Jake shook his head as he freed his hands from under the table.

"I don't think so, I think it had something to do with that Auntsally thing he was going on about. Unless that was how his time-machine-thing he had is supposed to work?"

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50:43 am »

(OOC: I'm out as well.)

The Navigator, meanwhile, had shut his eyes tight and didn't seem to have noticed Brantley's sudden disappearance. "Not this again, no, no, no..." He hissed under his breath. Something had come here on an eddy of time, climbed a timethread out of the darkness. A thing with no name, and terrible.

He opened his eyes, and gave the others a fleeting smile. "Sorry, have to go, there's a thing..." His easygoing manner was visibly shaken. He got up and left abruptly, pausing to place a stack of purple discs in the hands of the Proprietor.

Outside, a crawling black ooze was starting to spread from a split in the ground, and snakelike coils were already menacing the fairegoers. This was his fault, he should have... but it didn't matter. There was a way to stop it, by collapsing the timethread it had used to get here. He pressed a few buttons on the device strapped to his wrist, slapped the full reverse, and both he and the blackness vanished with an electrical crackle.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:48 am »

By now Jake found himself in the unfamiliar position of being half-standing against the table and half-sitting in Sally's lap.

Now that the table was rapidly emptying, Jake resolved the dilemma by sliding across and exchanging seats with his now-shocked companion.

"Wha... wha... what was that? What happened there?"

Jake tried to re-establish some faint trace of normalcy, "Honestly, I have no idea. I suppose it's more of the same for these time-travel types and whatever strange things they have going on. Anyway... Ah, here's the tea. Shall I pour, M'dear?"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:41:51 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 08:51:29 am »

The robed man had been stood in the doorway all this time watching but now stood with two revolvers pointing in the direction of where the flash had come from. His senses had momenteraly picked up his target approach the resturant but now it had vanished.
"I don't have time for this," he thought and transformed back into his wolfen form causing even more of a disturbance in the dining room. The tea would have to wait, with a grunt, he swung the revolvers back around the room then turned and walked back out.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 11:29:31 am »

It had been over an hour since she had run away from that dreadful scene in the alley behind the Old-timey-whimey Ball, and now Jenny was lost in the maze of little laneways off the Market. She had slowed from her headlong running long ago, now she was wandering absently amidst the varying throngs and empty spaces of the crowds clustering around the various attractions, her initial red-hot anger replaced by a dull nausea in the pit of her stomach.

She stepped past the short gentleman selling "Genuine Alexandrian Scrolls" from a battered leather suitcase, and another in a battered top-hat and leather vest profferring a tray half-filled by bottles of "Pemberton's original Coca-cola". She shook her head at the first chap, but reflecting that all that walking had made her thirsty, she stopped and rummaged in her pocket-book for her money.

He spoke reasonably familiar English with a scots accent and she was able to buy a bottle for two dollar coins. The chap pocketed her coins and pulled off the rubber seal from the green bottle before handing it across to her.

She thanked him and wandered on further into the Market, pausing only to take a long draught of the carbonated beverage. Somehow her stomach felt better with the fluid inside her, and she began to cheer up. Maybe things weren't too serious after all... in fact, after a second rather unladylike swig from the bottle, things were looking so much better...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:33:05 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22:05 pm »

(OOC: I'm also out. Blasted real life. Always an intrusion. My sincerest apologies.)

Miss Indigo returned from the rest room, only to realise that the tea room was rapidly clearing. Her friend in the blue coat had vanished.  There were some strange things going on, but it was a lot more interesting than anything that had been happening back at home, wherever that was now.  She sighed, and spoke to the little clockwork, which was humming, it's coloured lights flashing merrily. "Well, my little friend," She spoke to it softly. "Where to now?"  The little creature began flashing it's lights on the side of it's body which was facing the door. "Ah, this is how we communicate" Said Miss Indigo.   "Good to know." She stood up, holding the clockwork out in front of her like a guide.  She looked over across the room to see it dissolving. "Ah yes. Curiouser and curiouser. Well then. Off we go." She nodded politely to those who remained, and headed out the door.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:08:11 pm by Miss Indigo Darling » Logged

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: