The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:00:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nail polish wings  (Read 5429 times)
Bioboy98
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 31, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »

I don't know how to post pictures from my computer but I can give you an idea of what I need. I have seen little flowers made of wire, And I have been making bugs out of light bulbs (You can see them here http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42627.msg895219.html#msg895219 ) And I was in the middle of making a butterfly, When I decided it would be cool to do the same with the wings. Dip the looped wing wire in nail polish so it would stretch across like the flowers. But It seems like it would be to big for this wing? If you have any idea or have done similar things I would greatly appreciate advice.

This is a pic of the little flowers I got off the web.

Hello! I am Sir Watson. But you can call me bioboy. I am on a journey to travel the landscapes to find gears and cogs of all shapes and sizes! I hope to eventually have the time/money to make my own steampunk inventions!
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »

You could try a liquid glazing product (sold to model makers), which would be similar to the nail polish idea but might be better for larger apertures if the polish doesn't work.

Or you could use tissue paper and PVA glue.  You lay the wings flat on a clean plastic bag, lay over the tissue paper and apply dilute PVA across the whole of the tissue paper and letting it soak in.  You fold some surplus tissue paper from the edged around the wire formers to secure the wings.  The wings should then peel off the plastic bag when dry, because PVA won't stick to a non-permeable surface.  The next step would be to find a suitable sealant or varnish.
Bioboy98
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »

Seems like that might work........ I shall try it. Thank you!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:52 pm »

A plastic dipping film may be what you want. see if any of these are available from hobby/craft suppliers in your area and find out if they would give you the right effect.

Dip It , Dippity Glas, Fantasy Film, Formafilm, Fun Film, Joli Plastics, Resiflor,  Tauchlack, Vitriflore, Whimsy Dip. 
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »

A plastic dipping film may be what you want. see if any of these are available from hobby/craft suppliers in your area and find out if they would give you the right effect.

Dip It , Dippity Glas, Fantasy Film, Formafilm, Fun Film, Joli Plastics, Resiflor,  Tauchlack, Vitriflore, Whimsy Dip. 
What he said.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:35:31 am »

I was looking for this kind of product a couple of years ago and discovered that you couldn't buy it in the USA because the solvent was banned as a carcinogen. Is there a way to make something that will do this?
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:12:20 am »

If it is a flat shape then I have found that some nail polishes peel off smooth surfaces such as a pvc sheet (I use the ones that are designed to cover reports). I place the shape I want to fill on the sheet and then just fill the gap with a generous layer of nail polish. Wait and peel off, it only works when it is absolutely dry though, so patience is required. I've made some little insects that way, it is a nice technique. Experimentation may be required to find a good polish.

On a slight aside, a cotton wool bud with nail polish remover can be used to tidy up the edges and uncover the wire if you want the contrast.

Good luck,

~A~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: