The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 08:25:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I leather wrap a handle?  (Read 14139 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« on: March 25, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »

I'm putting the finishing touches on a Nerf mod and want to wrap the handle in a thin leather strap, like so:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/HLF6JAEDcEc/hqdefault.jpg

I've got some very thin material cut into strips, unfortunately I've not done much work with leather so I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I need to wet the leather first before wrapping it? And how do I get the ends to stay in place after wrapping? I'm looking for a rough field mod look like it was tied rather than using rivets or nails to hold it in place.

Any advice would be helpful as I'd really like to get this piece off to the customer by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:35:45 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »

Wetting the leather is only really useful if it's veg-tanned, which if it is stretchy and flexible it won't be Smiley

If you do not wish to glue the leather on, which is always an option, then you should use the following method:

Firstly, fold a thin but stiff piece of wire in half so that yo have a loop in the middle and a total length longer than your handle, enough so that when it is totally wrapped you have enough to grasp and pull on firmly.

Secondly, place the strip of leather vertically down the handle and fold the end over at the bottom to start winding around the handle. Leave enough over length at the top to hold onto once the wrapping is finished, you can trim this later. The aid of a second person here really helps. Place the wire under this strip and hold in place while you tightly wrap the strip around the handle. The loop should be above where you want the wrapping to end.

Next, wrap the leather strip as tightly around the handle as you can, overlapping as you go, until you have covered the area you wish wrapped. Cut the strip so that there is more than enough to go through the loop in the wire and all the way out of the bottom of the wrapping. Cutting the strip to a narrower width for this section also helps, if you can do so without losing tension on the wrapping.

Put the strip through the loop and, while holding onto the strip poking out from the top of the wrapping (the one I mentioned in the first point) pull on the wire and draw the remaining strip through underneath the wrapping to the bottom of the wrapped area. Once this has been achieved, trim the strips top and bottom.

Kindest regards, Raven

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:11:22 pm »

Oooh thanks, that helps a lot.  Time to give it a go.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:17:00 am »

Yes,thank you for that informative information.

Really.
(I realize my wording sounds silly)

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:59:26 am »

You could try a turkshead knot or use one of the many paracord wrappings used for knife handles and walking sticks.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »

I came across this the other day. It's quite instructive on a number of points.
http://youtu.be/O1--0DLJv-8
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:30:01 pm by Kevin C Cooper Esq » Logged

Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:43:14 pm »

Another technique witch can be useful in making a leather wrap more durable is  to set it with a resin or varnish, shellac, superglue, epoxy, polyester, acrylic and PU varnish all work and produce slightly different effects.

You can also get interesting results by wrapping handles with canvas or similar soaked in resin. It can either be left as is for a leathery effect or build up a few layers and grind it smooth for something more like wood, bone or horn.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:12:41 pm by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:20:23 pm »

Thanks again for all the advice gentlemen. As you can see in the Gun thread my wrapped handle was partially successful, though not as tight as I'd like thanks to the thin leather strap snapping as I was pulling it underneath. I decided to just go with it, added a few drops of superglue to tight it up and hold it in place, and called it a day.

I'm sure I'll be doing other handles in future, so these references will prove invaluable.
racersims
Swab

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:45 pm »

I am looking for a way to leather wrap the handle to a wooden cane I have it use to be a walking stick but was cut down so now the top is rounded and thats where I put my hand to walk with it and push down on to help take weight off my hip. I currently have a soft cloth draped over and secured with tape but I wanted to do something with leather I know I have seen this before but cant seem to find any information on it. the closest i can seem to find is the Turk Head knot but again I need it to close in the top of a rounded pole. Any help or ideals would be greatly appreciated.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »

There are also various different knots/stitches designed for wrapping poles, handles etc. 'Cobra Stitch' is a common one, there are many others, look for tutorials on Youtube. They are usually demonstrated with nylon cord but you should be able to do them with leather thong or strips.

It's also worth considering waxed cord, especially natural fibres as an alternative.

Another technique is to sew a tube of leather around a shaft, much like you often see on steering wheels. Done properly it should have quite a flat seam and if you do it wet it wil shrink to tight fit, you can do this over a cord wrap to give more of a positive texture. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: