The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 09:59:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name help?  (Read 875 times)
KittiwakeKlocks
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 15, 2014, 08:50:57 pm »

I've been working on characters for a steampunk world i'm in the process of creating. I want at least one automaton character, but i'm having some struggles with names.I want really robot-ish names, something that you'd hear and automaticlly think robot. the only one i've got is Gears, so idk. I'll take male, female or (preferably) gender neutraL.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:57 pm »

Tom  the automiton
Clank,
Iron Heart

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:54:32 pm »

Hephaestus?
Greek and Roman Mythology was all the rage back then. If there's any mechanical creatures from then, they'd be fair game. 'Romantic' (as in knights in shining armor, etc) names are another possibility.

But then, you could always throw something different into the mix; Norse, Oriental, (or Far Eastern), Indian (correct or Columbus' misnomers...Wink, possibly even African or South American deities.

KittiwakeKlocks
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:33:15 pm »

Tom  the automiton
Clank,
Iron Heart

Aww, I like Clank!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:01 am »

Creak, so you could make a pair with Clank.  Ratchet, Rivet, Bolts,Cogs. (Not to be confused with Cogsworthy, a butler turned into a clock from  Disney's beauty and the beast.)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:28:52 am »

Another from old greek
Hekatonkheires

Was used in the anime Appleseed for the armour that Brearious bonded too after being serious wounded before appleseed begins.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:11:54 am »

You might not want Ratchet or Clank. They are already rather well known - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_%26_Clank

Tinotheah?

Sorontar
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:23:56 am by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »

Pinion adn Worm? And perhaps their mother, Jewel, who keeps everything running smoothly...

(pinion for the axle of a gear, and worm for worm gear; Jewel for the things the gears and everything run and pivot on)

Maybe Pivot, the man behind the throne?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Antonus Fudge
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »

I've been working on characters for a steampunk world i'm in the process of creating. I want at least one automaton character, but i'm having some struggles with names.I want really robot-ish names, something that you'd hear and automaticlly think robot. the only one i've got is Gears, so idk. I'll take male, female or (preferably) gender neutraL.

Look within and ye shall find the answer: your own username, Kittiwake Klocks. Thats a pretty good name for a wind-up.

Failing that, ask yourself what does this character do? What are they like? What status are robots afforded in your world? Let those things be a driver as much as the simple nature of the thing. I think that the mechanical nature of it means they may be a sort of second class citizen so nothing too flash and dandy. Choose something that is a little onomatopoeic (sp?), so the name sounds like the noise typical of automata.

Edit: just seen that Kittiwake is your mechanic, so scrap that. Perhaps cobbling monomyn names together from pieces of other words, much like one might assemble a 'bot, might work: Tockbriggs, or Tockbridge, or something. Then you can say something like: "Tockbriggs! I say, Tockbriggs! Bring me my wine, man! Bloody waste of money, that robot. Tried to cheer him up once by getting him a female partner. Tickspring, her name was, or some such thing. Anyway it didn't work, the dessicated old can. Melted her down in the end. That's her there, on the mantle. Makes a passable gas lamp, don't you think? TOCKBRIGGS! Would you be a dear fellow and just check up on him for me?"
Of course, Tockbriggs has gone on some mad killing spree which is why he wasn't answering.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:37:41 pm by Antonus Fudge » Logged

~ * ~
KittiwakeKlocks
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »

Look within and ye shall find the answer: your own username, Kittiwake Klocks. Thats a pretty good name for a wind-up.

Failing that, ask yourself what does this character do? What are they like? What status are robots afforded in your world? Let those things be a driver as much as the simple nature of the thing. I think that the mechanical nature of it means they may be a sort of second class citizen so nothing too flash and dandy. Choose something that is a little onomatopoeic (sp?), so the name sounds like the noise typical of automata.

Edit: just seen that Kittiwake is your mechanic, so scrap that. Perhaps cobbling monomyn names together from pieces of other words, much like one might assemble a 'bot, might work: Tockbriggs, or Tockbridge, or something. Then you can say something like: "Tockbriggs! I say, Tockbriggs! Bring me my wine, man! Bloody waste of money, that robot. Tried to cheer him up once by getting him a female partner. Tickspring, her name was, or some such thing. Anyway it didn't work, the dessicated old can. Melted her down in the end. That's her there, on the mantle. Makes a passable gas lamp, don't you think? TOCKBRIGGS! Would you be a dear fellow and just check up on him for me?"
Of course, Tockbriggs has gone on some mad killing spree which is why he wasn't answering.

Haha! Thats a good idea. I've grown kind of fond of the Rivet suggestion. MY problem is that beyond wanting to create an automaton I haven't figured out a purpose. It was created by a man named Les Steers Aireson. I'm not sure if it would serve the purpose of just helping him around the shop or having a more specific purpose.
Antonus Fudge
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:15:00 pm »

Haha! Thats a good idea. I've grown kind of fond of the Rivet suggestion. MY problem is that beyond wanting to create an automaton I haven't figured out a purpose. It was created by a man named Les Steers Aireson. I'm not sure if it would serve the purpose of just helping him around the shop or having a more specific purpose.

-----

I find the name often comes first and the personality flows from that. Rivet is a fairly inoffensive name, perhaps indeed suited to a low-level cleaning assistant. That's no bad thing at all; it gives a definite starting point and you can go from there to all sorts of places.

Best of luck!
Antonus Fudge
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »

Maybe Pivot, the man behind the throne?

I read that initially as Madame Pivot. Perfect for the discrete gentleman, she caters to all tastes and collapses down into a easy-to-carry case.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:24:39 pm »

Talos was a giant automaton from Ancient Greek legends. He featured in Jason and the Argonauts.
Jules82
Swab

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:26:15 am »

If you google fictional robots you'll get a list on wikipedia of all the names used sinece the 19th century, including some greek ones and then some pretty normal sounding ones like Marcus Smiley
And Madame Pivot? That's a whole steampunk book, right there...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: