The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:39:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help removing and replacing a page from a hardcover book.  (Read 1355 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: February 23, 2014, 10:24:58 pm »

Can anyone offer any advice here?:

I have a hardcover book that contains an illustration that I would like to scan on a flat bead scanner, but the edge of the illustration is close to the binding and the book won't lay flat enough to get a decent scan.

If I were to cut the page out of the book, I could get a good scan, but then I would want to put the page back into the book. It is not a very old or rare or valuable book, but I would still prefer to have it in one piece when I am done.

I've found instructions on the internet for repairing torn pages using rice paper, but in my circumstance I actually will have control over how the page is torn, so there might be a better method available than rice paper.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:25:30 am »

If you can find a way to prop the book open and hold the page flat, then a decent digital camera on a tripod could give you an image every bit as good as a flatbed scanner.

--
Keith
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:28 am »

You could take a small sharp knife(x-acto) and cut it out then glue it back in.

Place something behind the page you want cut out, like some thin card board sheet so that you don't cut any deeper into the book. Then carefully slice out the page, but cut it so that you leave a thin strip of the page intact in the book. Glue it back to this thin strip and you're done.

Use wax paper between the pages when you glue so that no other pages are stuck together.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:07:33 am »

Well the proper way would be to simply disassemble the book then rebind the book.
It takes time but there all several tutorials on the web.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:58:39 am »

Unbinding and rebinding is a bit more involved that I wanted. This book is worth about $15. I'll probably just cut the page then tip it back in as described above.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:10:05 am »

no chance of finding the image online somewhere?

what is it?

I'd put some effort into that approach before damaging a book.... But I'll admit
to a love of books and a dislike of damaging them.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:23:09 am by Professor J. Cogsworthy » Logged

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:19:11 am »

The book is "100 Years of American Newspaper Comics" by Maurice Horn. The image is of an old comic strip called "The Airship Man". It was a short lived comic from around 1910, and I don't think that there have been any reprint collections.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:17:21 pm »

See if you can borrow a hand held scanner from someone. I encountered the same problem last week, though I don't know anyone with a hand held scanner.
My book could be worth around £60 apparently so I won't be taking it apart.

George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:37:51 pm »

See if you can borrow a hand held scanner from someone. I encountered the same problem last week, though I don't know anyone with a hand held scanner.

I suggest photographing the page in this case.  With the book open at a near right angle the page should be flat enough.  For high resolution a macro lens and stitching software could be used (MS ICE is recommended).

For some reason, copy stands for photographically copying maps and books have gone out of fashion and I've had trouble tracking one down.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

I suggest photographing the page in this case.  With the book open at a near right angle the page should be flat enough.  For high resolution a macro lens and stitching software could be used (MS ICE is recommended).

For some reason, copy stands for photographically copying maps and books have gone out of fashion and I've had trouble tracking one down.
Yes, the option of photography occured to me late last night out of the blue. I suppose it should have occurred sooner!
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:06 pm »

I suggest photographing the page in this case.  With the book open at a near right angle the page should be flat enough.  For high resolution a macro lens and stitching software could be used (MS ICE is recommended).

I refer my honourable friend to the reply I gave earlier.

Re-photographing can sometimes be better than using a scanner for slides, too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: