The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:30:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Steampunk Past and a Cyberpunk Future...the Joy of Immortality  (Read 487 times)
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: February 21, 2014, 05:31:34 pm »

When I fell on the ice the other week, I decided to start writing again.  On the insistence of a friend, I have since started putting the chapters up on:  www.aethermemories.tumblr.com

Basically the story is about a guy who lives out his normal human life toward the end of the 21st century and is given, based upon his education, and experiences, the chance to become "immortal."  Immortal being that he heals quickly, he doesn't age, but he can still easily killed or seriously injured.  (still doesn't stop him from doing stupid things)  As humans have become more and more reliant upon technology, he's part of a society of "immortals" who call themselves "Humanist Scholars" who try and stop the galaxy from destroying itself by forgetting the past.  Due to having all the time in the world, the scholars study widely in everything from history, to paranormal, to martial arts.  The only advanced technology they use, and really the only fantasy element, is what is referred to as an "Aether Pad."  It's based on the theory that everything in the universe is interconnected, even our consciousness.  A Scholar uses it to "mind walk" into the past, present, future, or other places.  All the higher philosophy and idealism aside, he drinks, chain smokes, swears, and really has a sour outlook on life, especially as he finds himself well past his time, living in what is essentially a world completely overwhelmed by technology.  (Don't worry, he is gradually evolving and is starting to care.)  He ends up, out of revenge, joining a rebel movement and we meet him in the middle of a civil war that gets cut short by an alien invasion.  The ship sent to counterattack ends up recruiting the rebels because they need reinforcements and would rather fight a common enemy.  

The story is tending to hop between a "modern" (set far in the future world) and a "steampunk" mindset as well as flashbacks to a world that was very steampunk aesthetically and philosophically. (Steampunking Philosophy to me essentially taking old concepts, that still hold value such as "Symbolism in art and literature" and applying them to a modern world.  As oppose to the reverse of taking modern criticisms and applying them to a Victorian world.)

My problem is, at the moment in the unpublished Chapters, the main characters are heading to a final point where the story ends, the heroes win, and everyone goes home happy and having saved the Earth, they would probably wouldn't have another adventure.  Normally I have the problem of not being able to finish a story, it just keeps evolving and the original point becomes pointless.  I am not sure I want to end it as a Novel, I feel like I want it to be an ongoing adventure, but I have already established a strict military protocol, so when it ends, it ends.  The only way I see it not ending, (keep in mind, I actually want the good guys to win, I am sick of depressing movies where everyone dies) is if I decide to literally throw a wrench in a space ship engine and strand them somewhere they didn't want to go.  So that's my question, is it better to let it end or to keep it going? 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:50:31 pm »

ah, but what happened on Earth while the character was gone?
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:54 am »

Earth by this point is of symbolic importance, so no loss for anyone in the story.   Grin
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:09:24 am »

The story sounds really cool.

Is there a powerful entity that could show up and say "Hey, waitaminute, I'm not done with you yet..." and drag the character off onto some new adventure? Maybe whoever was behind the character becoming immortal and/or the originator of whatever it was that gave him that power.

Or maybe a rogue element within his own forces that goes AWOL and starts to cause havoc?

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:07 am »

The story sounds really cool.

Is there a powerful entity that could show up and say "Hey, waitaminute, I'm not done with you yet..." and drag the character off onto some new adventure? Maybe whoever was behind the character becoming immortal and/or the originator of whatever it was that gave him that power.

Or maybe a rogue element within his own forces that goes AWOL and starts to cause havoc?

That last part...I have considered it.  He has in unposted (posted more today) sections made it clear that he is against the use of nuclear weapons.  Maybe make their mission completely pointless, but it needs to be an action filled letdown. 
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:52 am »

You have an immortal charater and your suggesting an end? There is no end, that is the horror.  there are several internet audios that deal with such things I can post the links if you wish,

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:43 pm »

You have an immortal charater and your suggesting an end? There is no end, that is the horror.  there are several internet audios that deal with such things I can post the links if you wish,

If he took a shotgun to the chest....he'd die.  So I can kill him off if I want to.  Yesterday I decided to destroy the world.  However now that changes their mission to being a recovery mission....so now that the Earth is destroyed....it actually matters.  Even though the main character does not care about the Earth....I forgot that everyone else did. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: