The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 05:06:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assisstance required locating area for colonisation; Inquiries Within.  (Read 24117 times)
SteampunkBuilder
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

EGAD! A miscreant Venusian rock-heater beetle!

« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20:39 am »

ok, to help this thread out a bit... i'd suggest a semi submercible craft...
<snippage>
...read the book Pendragon (Book #2) for some ideas on size i have in mind for it.

Would the Freedom Ship do (if made steamy)?

(http://www.freedomship.com)

God bless Victoriana!

Laird Douglas, Independent Adventurer
Minister of Conservancy and Proliferation

Forge from the Steampunk X-Men, winners of the Dragon*Con 2010 Masquerade.
http://dailydragon.dragoncon.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6601-600x400.jpg

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” Einstein
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2008, 12:28:57 pm »

A bit more crystal palace and a bit less aircraft carrier, and I´m in.  Smiley

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
FEUS
Gunner

« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:50 pm »

ok, to help this thread out a bit... i'd suggest a semi submercible craft...
<snippage>
...read the book Pendragon (Book #2) for some ideas on size i have in mind for it.

Would the Freedom Ship do (if made steamy)?

(http://www.freedomship.com)

yes similar to that

A bit more crystal palace and a bit less aircraft carrier, and I´m in.  Smiley

and why cant you have both (have a nice roof on it, make a huge dome ceiling in there (better for blocking against bad weather anyways)

as far as something goes like this anyways... it would have a very large runway and the planes would be purpose built for use on there (think more gyro-copters/ultra lights)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2008, 03:47:03 pm »

ok, to help this thread out a bit... i'd suggest a semi submercible craft... (using balasts) but otherwise the ship being neutrally boyant.

I'm truly puzzled why one want a neutrally buoyant ship...

Also.. you will need large greenhouses for the crops to grow efficiently. Doesn't combine well with (semi-)submersibles...

Finally.. I'm well interested in your magnetic motors that apparently run without outside power being added.. Cheesy

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2008, 04:12:03 pm »

A lot of this probably depends on how advanced a society we want. An amish-style society might be fairly easy on a floating island. Getting   technology like engines, TVs and medicine might require more money, and so things we can sell. Even if you can feed yourself, I wouldn´t be sure crops could be grown well enough to be sold for profit to other countries. Also some kind of fuel is needed for moving the island around, which I assume will be fairly heavy.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2008, 05:14:41 pm »

...I don't see the need to move the island, really. It's all about picking a suitable location.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2008, 05:21:27 pm »

In case of a hurricane coming our way.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »

I think it would e fun to combine hurricane avoidance with FEUS' idea of a semi-submersible vessel: Jst let the island remain where it is, but in case of a storm warning, sink it to a depth of 100ft and let nature's fury pass overhead.. Of course that means the island would have ot be covered in a dome or something, and enough ballast must be taken on board to make the place sink, but meh. reality is boring anyway Tongue
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2008, 05:30:58 pm »

We´ll just cover the whole island in a steel and glass enclosure like the Crystal Palace, which will serve as a greenhouse for the crops.  Smiley
Doctor Trakov
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2008, 04:53:26 pm »

Forgive me fore bumping, but could a traction city be devised?
SteampunkBuilder
Zeppelin Admiral

EGAD! A miscreant Venusian rock-heater beetle!

« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2008, 11:53:24 pm »

How's THIS?

http://www.worth1000.com/contest.asp?contest_id=2748&display=photoshop&page=2#entries
FEUS
Gunner

« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

what do you mean my traction city?
von Brasswood
Zeppelin Captain
Norway Norway

Master of Graphical Marvel

« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2008, 06:35:04 pm »

what do you mean my traction city?

From Wikipedia:
"In Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines Quartet, Traction Cities are vast metropolises built on tiers that are capable of moving on gigantic wheels and caterpillar tracks. These cities hunt smaller cities (in order to tear them apart for resources and fuel) which in turn hunt towns which in turn hunt villages and static settlements. This practice is known as Municipal Darwinism, and is clearly a parody of the animal kingdom.

Traction cities in the books are often named after cities in the real world, such as London, Anchorage, Paris or Manchester, and sometimes their names have been slightly modified for comedic effect; for example, Tunbridge Wells has been renamed 'Tunbridge Wheels'."

"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB
Doctor Trakov
Officer

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2008, 07:08:37 pm »

floating islands, such as atlanticus city from the technomancer, would also be nice.
Glasgow Jon
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2009, 02:24:20 am »

This thread is probably dead, buried and superceded by other posts but I was wondering if anyone had considered........ Seasteading as a possible solution to the problem.

http://seasteading.org/

Better to be a dead Airship Pyrate than to exist in mediocrity!!

Glasgow Jon.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2015, 10:20:03 pm »

It would appear Pitcairn Island is trying to attract migrants. It has a small population, is rather isolated and belongs to the UK. This might make it a good candidate for a place to create a steampunk community. Though there is the issue of sexual abuse, which might be part of the reason they are trying to get more people as many of the occupants are likely in prison. You can read more about it at:

http://www.government.pn
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2015, 02:06:19 am »

Hmmm.  Move family to (or raise a family at) small, remote, isolated island with a sexual crime problem...  I think I'll pass, thank you.

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2015, 09:31:01 pm »

Given no one had posted in this thread for 5 years, and the OP hasn't been on in 3 years, it might be wise to remake the subject and consolidate all the decided information (and pictorial references) into the OP of that thread, which would get updated as the new thread progressed, so that there was somewhere we could actually see how our country was coming along.

I assume everyone who's been nominated to positions would keep those, as long as they still appear to be alive/active. And I also think I just nominated myself to be Cabinet Secretary, didn't I?

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:46 pm »

Or you could hold off on that untill you've actually acquired the country.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #319 on: April 25, 2015, 02:31:39 am »

They must have known I was coming
A lot of this probably depends on how advanced a society we want. An amish-style society might be fairly easy on a floating island. Getting   technology like engines, TVs and medicine might require more money, and so things we can sell. Even if you can feed yourself, I wouldn´t be sure crops could be grown well enough to be sold for profit to other countries. Also some kind of fuel is needed for moving the island around, which I assume will be fairly heavy.

...I don't see the need to move the island, really. It's all about picking a suitable location.

I think it would e fun to combine hurricane avoidance with FEUS' idea of a semi-submersible vessel: Jst let the island remain where it is, but in case of a storm warning, sink it to a depth of 100ft and let nature's fury pass overhead.. Of course that means the island would have ot be covered in a dome or something, and enough ballast must be taken on board to make the place sink, but meh. reality is boring anyway Tongue

If one was to  start ones own Banana Republic  or  Colony of Artistes and Intellectuals- possibly in a post apocalyptic epoch

and island would be eminently    superior   as a potential micro environment with natural borders.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2016, 06:25:03 am »

New Zealand in the Antipodes  looks to  be up for grabs. It is currently being sold off pieces by piece.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: