The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 06:18:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assisstance required locating area for colonisation; Inquiries Within.  (Read 24115 times)
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« on: October 11, 2007, 02:10:09 pm »

Gentlemen and Ladies; prepare for a little fantastical nonsense and wishful thinking;

would you, perchance, live in an area of this world, which was colonised for steampunks? If so, where would a suitable place be? My first thought would be an island. Above or Below the equator? considering our styles of fashion, i would argue somwhat above the equator?

what say you?

(just finished watching S.Night's The Village, thats what got me thinking.)

what would you have? what style architecture, transport, or language? go nuts.

-Sam.

Baron Von Sasha, The Sasha of All Ages

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:54:11 pm »

I would like to recommend myself as Monarch of this colony. Not only am I a charismatic leader, I'm also on a fist name basis with God himself.

He happened to mention that we would do best to choose a colder area.

Her Majesty, the King
Angel
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:05:12 pm »

I volunteer myself as "Minister for Mad Science".

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
Storminformin
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:37:08 pm »

Oh like this idea.

style of architecture: On a whole Red brick, with limestone reliefs giving a indication as to the use of the building. However Gothic buildings would be required along with crystal place like glass constructs, to serve as malls and areas of social gathering.

transportation: Long distance travel would be accomplished using trains and zeppelins (steamships if near a body of water). Public transport makes use of trams, taxis and a local train network, similar to the design below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All local heavy hauling is performed by traction engines and canal barges.

language: English of obviously, though strong foreign accents are welcome, the more ridiculous the better  Wink

Legal and tax system: Similar to the current systems, but with tax breaks for scientists and not tax on you first three doomsday devices/super weapons/ army's of robots/ battle zeppelins etc, after which a yearly tax with be imposed of a set rate for each item over the third (on a side not this tax can be avoided by offering you creations services during times of need to defend the nation).

location: A large island would be ideal, as space would be needed to store the zeppelins for repair. However inland miles away from the rest of civilization would also be good. Both of these would perpetuate an air of mistry about the place.

Failing all of this why don't we just build a few zeppelins, and a dozen or so never was hauls and travel the world as steam gypsys. No motorway Maintenance stickers though, but more railway Maintenance. We could offer to lay a section of track and when they aren't looking half-inch a steam engine for parts  Grin.

I say old bean! I must express my astonishment of you claim! Is this a fact, or a clever ruse?

Hello Paddy. I know your here somewhere Smiley
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 07:56:48 pm »

Oooh yes Canals and barges! Great idea!
Drake White
Zeppelin Admiral

Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 08:04:26 pm »

Well considering I spend the majority of my sixth-form days concocting the perfect country with a few of my fellow miscreants I've a few ideas.
Even if our original idea was less steampunk and more us and a few thousand Bunny-Girls, Oompa-Loompas, Vimto-Blokes, Penguins and Worms (from the games of the same name).

Anywho. North of the equator is a must, south has Christmas in summer which is just wrong.
Somewhere warm but not tropically sweltering.
A large island with rolling green plains and hills, palm trees, white sandy beaches, glistening lake and a huge mofo semi-inactive Volcano.
Built into the volcano would be a geothermal plant powering the entire island.
Also a gigantic magma-cannon would be built into the pinnacle of the volcano as a defensive measure.
The capitol would be a large city straddling a large bay, Victorian style architecture mostly with mad-ass steampunk buildings mixed in.

Now whether it would fit here or not, we had (in Vulgaria) as our navy icebergs manned by Penguins and Worms as our SAS troops.
Probably wouldn't work here though, much like our idea of having retro-fitted Spitfires, P-38 Lightnings and B-17 Flying Fortress' as our airforce...

Insanity
Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:01:01 am »

As ruler of this new land, I approve heartily of these plans thus far. Especially that monorail!
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:25:45 am »

Indeed! but should this be a Constitutional Monarch or a British Empire style thing?

Bah, who cares, as well as I'm well off, I shan't care.

Just don't arrest me when i start strolling about with a cane without a licence. (I am, a tad cane obssessed.)

I'm guessing for traditions sake, we shall call our currency the Pound?

Oooooooh, i has an idea now, I just need the name of the Nation/colony and er, Milady's official title?

*cough coin design cough*
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:17:30 pm »

They must have some land to spare in Canada. We could rent it for a hundred years, like was done with Hong Kong.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 12:41:54 pm »

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/images3/worldmap1911.jpg

Pull out your daggers and stab where you believe to be appropriate!
Prof. Rane, MA
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 02:47:16 pm »

Above or Below the equator?

I do believe the proper question would be: Above or Below the surface of the Earth? Then would come East or West of Greenwich. The position relatively to the Equator would be last, I guess.

As far as climate is concerned, we ought to bear in mind that creating a tropical area under a steam-powered greenhouse would be much easier to implement than creating a colder zone within a hot area; although I am not sure which way the argument points...

Yours sincerely,

Prof. Rane, MA
Insanity
Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:34:07 pm »

I would like the title of "her Kingship". Who says a female can't be king? Certainly not me or God. He told me so just last week.
Lopt
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 03:37:30 pm »

What's so wrong with space?
Drake White
Zeppelin Admiral

Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 07:15:23 pm »

What's so wrong with space?
It's cold.
Keithe
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Minister of Ambiguity, Indeterminacy and Vagueness

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 02:27:21 am »

A most commendable research and planning project.  A quick ebay search reveals these two auctions of private islands.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lake-Island-For-Sale-In-Uganda-Africa_W0QQitemZ250175320670QQihZ015QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANAMA-ISLANDS-archipelago-163-AC_W0QQitemZ330170214577QQihZ014QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am sure if we pooled our resources this should be no problem.  Grin

Of course the other short term option would be a surplus vessel or series of private rail cars.
Spreegem
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 02:46:51 am »

If we want some where in the Northern hemisphere, and somewhere cool, why not one of the larger uninhabitted Canadian islands, perhaps the Canadians would be willing to sell one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_islands_by_area
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 09:35:10 am »

Either that, or we all migrate to one area and declare ourselves a principality.

How does one become a nation anyways?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 12:16:24 pm »

Fortean Times some years back had something about that, and some loopholes in international law. Of course having defense capabilities is rather important, or other countries will just reclaim the land.
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 12:21:13 pm »

http://www.citizensrequired.com/

On the TV show "How To Start Your Own Country", it mentioned a principality in the ocean on an old oil rig or war time fort thing.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 12:28:41 pm »

Yes but if you want something suitable for more than illegal gambling or whitewashing money I think you need something with solid ground.
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 12:54:04 pm »

...Of course having defense capabilities is rather important, or other countries will just reclaim the land.

Not against the might of the Armoured 32nd Zepplin division! 

Right, so we need to know the following:

Location: I suppose we've established the northern hemisphere. Fine, I'll have to travel.
Government type: I'm guessing our government is a constitutional monarchy.
Currency: I gather it's the Pound.
Name of Nation: Huh

Insanity
Officer

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 01:12:01 pm »

Constitutional monarchy. I rule with an iron fist encased in a soft woolen mitten.

As for names, we need something that screams "alternative victoriana"... something that is steampunk in nature...We'll all have to think on this one.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 02:13:48 pm »

I think Victoriana might be a decent name. It does after all refer to victory as well.
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 04:11:21 pm »

I think Victoriana might be a decent name. It does after all refer to victory as well.

Seconded.
Insanity
Officer

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 02:04:15 am »

Seconded.

Thirded by Her Majesty the King!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: