The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 07:27:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Novelists versus Short Story Writers  (Read 447 times)
Witty Bard
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:24 pm »

Inspired by a previous thread... Do you think there is a distinction between novelists and short story writers?  Can novelists develop short stories from either an existing or an in-the-works novel?  Can a short story writer develop a short story into a novel?  What are your personal experiences?

-Admiral Witty P. Bard
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

Many writers are very successful in both forms. But I've met several who find it difficult to adapt to one or other.

I know one writer of historical novels who researches the time/place of interest until stories start to suggest themselves. He then writes short stories, which eventually form the raw material for the novel.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:34:07 pm »

Yes and no I'd say (pretty much in agreement with Mr Duncan) I can't be specific with authors I'm familiar with, but there are writers who can mix and match writing, take Agatha Christie for example, who is most famous for her novels but she also wrote a great number of plays (and often adapted her own novels for the stage), or even Shakespeare, he wrote a HUGE number of poems and sonnets in addition to his plays. But, then again there plenty of writers who are brilliant at one type of writing/genre but can't write anything else for toffee. It seems to depend on the author and their abilities, I mean I personally sort of flip between my novel and other short stories (two of which were developments/amendments of sub plots in ideas I've had for novels) but I can't really say how my skills in writing both compare.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »

Yes and No, I think you need to be able to work in both catagories however, with thought, a noval can be crafted from several short stories know as acts!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
pakled05
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:18 am »

tried both. For some reason I get more short stories than novels. Course it's still quantity vs. quality...Wink
Depends on how far your imagination stretches...
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:23:25 am »

H.G.Wells. Brilliant at both, I would say.

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: