The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:47:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epic scale Steampunk novels?  (Read 598 times)
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« on: February 06, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »

I tend to read fairly fast AND everyday so I have developed a taste for stories on a grand scale just to keep from having to go to the bookstore or libarary everyday. BIG, THICK books attract my attention first. ( get your mind out of the gutter.... lol )

Even with the annoyances the authors brought to the table I enjoyed Jordan's Wheel of Time and am eagerly waiting for Martin to finish his Game of Thrones series. ( I LOVE Jim Butcher's Desden Files also but have not really been turned on much by other authors of the same genre . )

I'm wondering if there are any steampunk ( or even... is it gaslight fantasy... ? ...I read the Girl Genius's type novelizations ) themed stories with the large cast of characters, LOOOONG complex story lines, EPIC worlds..... etc.

I love sarcastic characters, adventure and humor mixed, lots of character developement and NEW ideas.

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding. Four books in all.
Retribution Falls
Black Lung Captain
The Iron Jackal
The Ace of Skulls

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:03:45 am »

Mark Hodder has a multi-volume set, covering 1830s to 1910s, lots of fun
I know the period's wrong, but there's sort of a flavor of Steampunk in Gregory Keye's books (A Calculus of Angels, etc)
Pax Britannica series has a few good ones.
The 'less' series (Heartless, Changeless, Soulless, etc) might not be precisely Steampunk, but there are elements of it
I've missed a goodly number of them, but this works out to over a dozen books altogether...
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:50:47 pm »

Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding. Four books in all.
Retribution Falls
Black Lung Captain
The Iron Jackal
The Ace of Skulls

wow.... not cheap. Off to the library!

Thank you both for the suggestions.
The Kilted Yaksman
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38:29 am »

Stephen Hunt's Jackelian series. There are five or six in the series now.
China Miéville's Bas Lag series. Not precisely steampunk, but decidedly steampunk-adjacent. Perdido Street Station is on of my favorite books ever.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:00 am »

I cannot recommend highly enough Gail Carriger's The Parasol Protectorate series (Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless, and Timeless), and the follow-up "prequel" series Finishing School (already published:  Etiquette and Espionage and Curtsies and Conspiracies; pending:  Waistcoats and Weaponry and Manners and Mutiny). A third series, The Custard Protocol, set in her world will follow.

Also, try Cherie Priest's The Clockwork Century series (Boneshaker, Clementine, Dreadnaught, Ganymede, The Inexplicables, and Fiddlehead), and Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series (Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath, and the "non-fiction" companion book The Manual of Aeronautics).

Also also (my sister was bitten by a moose once) try:  Mark Hodder's Burton & Swinburne series (The Strange Affair of Spring-heeled Jack, The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man, Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon, The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi, and the not-yet-released A Red Sun Also Rises); Kenneth Oppel's Matt Cruse series (Airborn, Skybreaker, and Starclimber); George Mann's Newberry & Hobbes series (The Affinity Bridge, The Osiris Ritual, The Shattered Teacup, The Immortality Engine, and The Executioner's Heart) and his The Ghost series (set in the 1920's in the same universe as Newberry & HobbesGhosts of Manhattan and Ghosts of War); Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris' Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series (Phoenix Rising, The Janus Affair, and Dawn's Early Light); Lavie Tidhar's Bookman Histories series (The Bookman, Camera Obscura, and The Great Game); Steven Harper's Clockwork Empire series (The Doomsday Vault, The Impossible Cube, The Dragon Men, and The Havoc Machine); Mike Resnick's Weird Western series (The Buntline Special, The Doctor and the Kid, The Doctor and the Rough Rider, and The Doctor and the Dinosaurs); Andrew P. Mayer's Society of Steam series (The Falling Machine, Hearts of Smoke and Steam, and Power Under Pressure); Emma Jane Holloway's Baskerville Affair series (A Study in Silks, A Study in Darkness, and A Study in Ashes); James Blaylock's Narbondo/Langdon St. Ives series (The Digging Leviathan, Homunculus, Lord Kelvin's Machine, The Ebb Tide, The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs, Zeuglodon, The Aylesford Skull, and the upcoming The Pagan God); K.W. Jeter's (non-series, I believe) Morlock Night, Infernal Devices, and Fiendish Schemes; Tim Powers' (apparently related) The Anubis Gate, The Stress of Her Regard, Last Call, Expiration Date, Earthquake Weather, and Hide Me Among the Graves; and, of course, any of the "foundational" works by Verne, Wells, Doyle, Haggard, Burroughs, et al...

Now, take this list for what it is...simply recommendations. Everyone's tastes are different, but hopefully out of this you'll find a few of interest to yourself. Additionally, it goes without saying that this is far from a complete listing.

Enjoy!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:37:19 am »

Addendum:

My thanks to Capt. Dirigible, pakled05, and The Kilted Yaksman for drawing to my attention additional works; I've already added them to my list!
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:32:14 am »

thanks, cccc - this is a professional, they remembered all the proper names etc (I just winged it...Wink. And a few more besides. Off to scout for the others...I think I've seen the Red Sun book is already out; trust, but verify...Wink
There's also a website called Steamed, oriented towards something called Lolitas (I'm not an expert on that, more like a Humbert Humbert...Wink they interview authors of steampunk novels on a regular basis. Anything missed here, you might find there...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:34:45 am by pakled05 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: