The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:54:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What has been your biggest single SP purchase so far?
<$0.00
<$1.00
<$10.00
<$100.00
< $500.00
c. $1,000.00
> $2,000.00
 You need to see my SP mansion/yacht/private island!
It would be better if I do not think about it yet.  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: What has been your biggest SteamPunk purchase to date?  (Read 5383 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2015, 04:33:54 pm »

must be my jacket.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 06:18:57 am »

Everybody seems to have new coats and jackets but no pictures???

-Karl
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 07:20:43 am »

See profile pic. Its not a new one, its my only one.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 10:13:29 am »

I got an excuse.  OK, two excuses. Make that three.

a) My mind is complicated.
b) I'm very poor, so progress is very slow.
c) There are some pictures at the Queer Geer already.

My outfits are in a state of high flux.  The few and far between pieces that I can afford, I'll buy so I can wear as everyday items. It's already happened that I bought something meant for an outfit, and ended up being my everyday wear never being used for Steampunk... so that doesn’t count as a SP purchase.

Also, one of my two characters, the "Airship Angel"/ Luftschiffengel mechanic (who remains as of yet without  a proper name), is a Central European third-gender type of character, hatched during my discussions at the Queer Geer. Because of the unique nature of the character I have kept zim away from the Anatomical section.  The individual components of zis outfit are currently being discussed and assembled like a puzzle, one piece of clothing at a time, because it requires me to get very creative with online shopping! I'm going after a very specific look. I'm not sure you want me to discuss every "online shopping move" I make! It's a slow ad-hoc trial and error process.  When more pieces of the Luftschiffengel outfit are settled on, I may formally introduce the character in the main section complete with a very involved background history.

Admiral Wilhelm is more of a standard male character with a very complicated history, but his outfit is very difficult because it requires me to spend a lot of money in proper Indian-War Era/ Gilded Age military uniforms ($500+ if I do it right). There may be some respite from that if I can finagle something from Chinese wool manufacturers and can adapt woollen coats from China to assemble an admirals coat in proper Navy hue. I'm working on that at the moment.

Just so you don't say I didn’t show any pictures let me give you the pictures + prices of the items I'm targeting this Winter. Most of these items will be modified in one way or another, but must remain functional and practical for every day wear. If I can sell one more iPad case or iPhone case, I may be able to just buy all at once. Otherwise, it will be one by one and I'll daily-wear the items in the meantime

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~~~
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:18:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 10:43:23 am »

Accidental message
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:17:23 pm by Caledonian » Logged
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2015, 04:44:01 pm »

I bought most of my kit, and it wasn't cheap, being from steampunk clothing places.  Easily crossing the $100 threshold on single items... Sad

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2015, 07:38:18 pm »

I suppose top hats and corsets have been the most expensive individual items but I must have spent a FORTUNE on fabric to make different outfits, so much in fact that I don't want to add it up as the total would make me feel faint! In fact just thinking about adding it up makes me feel faint.
I will go and revive myself with a nice cup of tea ... or gin ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2015, 11:20:11 pm »

I spent around £275 - £300 on waistcoat, silk formal cravat, cravat pin, 2 x wool morning coats (one black, other chocolate brown), 2 x high waist wool 'morning trousers' (black, chocolate brown), Wool felt top hat, Victorian cut wing collar shirt, and a cheap pair of plastic "Steampunk Goggles" to modify into something usefull...  Grin

Most of that lot was just to attend a friends Goth style wedding, as she wanted me to go steampunk. The Brown morning coat and trousers were an impulse purchase as they were so cheap - £60 for the lot, they were ex-hire but had never been used (I would assume the colour was probaby a factor for wedding hire gear....  Wink  ).

I have very wide shoulders so have to purchase large sizes, though luckily I am a fat bastard as well, so it all works out...  Cheesy

I'm planning to lose a bit of weight soon, so I will eventually have to have the morning coats re-tailored to fit, but they were cheap enough and of decent enough quality (Wilvorst) to make that worth the money, as I still need the wide shoulder fitting anyway. Either way it's a custom tailor job, so probably the same or cheaper to take them in by several sizes.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2015, 04:14:33 am »

An opportunity to spend more money on SP.  With the 4th Annual SteamPunk Cruise coming up in March we are already looking at the 5th Annual SP Cruise beginning 1/2/17 for eleven days starting at $920./person d.o.  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36211.50.html 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: