The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 05:00:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random text filler for book prop? ( not steampunk )  (Read 2772 times)
Professor Ambrose Maycock
Gunner
United States United States

« on: January 14, 2014, 09:13:02 pm »

OK, I was handed the task by my wife of making a book prop . The character it will be for is one she plays during Halloween at a local attraction and is a vampire hunter. She was asking me for a hunters journal which I agreed to create. Now I have all the images designed for in the book but am looking for suggestions on what to use as text to fill the random blocks. I was thinking something in Latin or Eastern European since this is where her character base comes from. Does anyone have suggestions for a way to just generate random words in blocks ? And does anyone have a suggestion on a font that might work..

Thanks in advance.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

Go to Wikipedia.org

Select Russian:
Русский
Свободная энциклопедия

Choose a piece at random.

(Then donate to Wiki as a thank you.) Smiley

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:11 pm »

I had not even thought of that. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum
In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is a placeholder text (filler text) commonly used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation, such as font, typography, and layout, by removing the distraction of meaningful content. ...

Though it doesn't quite work for me, as the content is almost meaningful, in a very confused way.
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »

In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is a placeholder text (filler text) commonly used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation, such as font, typography, and layout, by removing the distraction of meaningful content. ...

Though it doesn't quite work for me, as the content is almost meaningful, in a very confused way.

I had considered this, but it was such a short block of text.

But after the wiki suggestion I went there and found articles on ghost, demons, vampires, etc which I think I will use.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:39:11 am »

There's one that starts 'lorem ipsum dolor sic (sic, it should be 'sit'...Wink amet' that gets a lot of mileage by printers...Wink It's classical Roman, but I'm not quite sure where it came from. It's before 1923, so it bypasses the 'Mickey Mouse' copyright law...Wink

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:41 am »

There is a Lorim generator that could in theory generate a who book worth of filler but for a vampire journal, you also need to make up some diagrams and some catholic nonsense about banishing monsters! (Van Helsing/Polterguist/Exorcist )

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Antonus Fudge
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 11:01:33 am »

OK, I was handed the task by my wife of making a book prop . The character it will be for is one she plays during Halloween at a local attraction and is a vampire hunter. She was asking me for a hunters journal which I agreed to create. Now I have all the images designed for in the book but am looking for suggestions on what to use as text to fill the random blocks. I was thinking something in Latin or Eastern European since this is where her character base comes from. Does anyone have suggestions for a way to just generate random words in blocks ? And does anyone have a suggestion on a font that might work..

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you could use it as a sort of clue or Easter egg for eagle eyed viewers. Maybe write out the plot, or have some sort of in joke there, or some other revelation.

~ * ~
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:04 pm »

There is a Lorim generator that could in theory generate a who book worth of filler but for a vampire journal, you also need to make up some diagrams and some catholic nonsense about banishing monsters! (Van Helsing/Polterguist/Exorcist )

If you're creating a fake document in Microsoft Word, just type =lorem() and press enter. This generates a few paragraphs of mock-Latin gibberish. If you need more, just add a number in the brackets, e.g. =lorem(20) generates 20 paragraphs.

Alternatively www.lipsum.com includes a Lorem Ipsum generator which you can just copy and paste

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »

If you're creating a fake document in Microsoft Word, just type =lorem() and press enter. This generates a few paragraphs of mock-Latin gibberish. If you need more, just add a number in the brackets, e.g. =lorem(20) generates 20 paragraphs.

Alternatively www.lipsum.com includes a Lorem Ipsum generator which you can just copy and paste

That is awesome! I didn't know this easteregg.  Cheesy

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:47 pm »

I just tried to use the =lorem() trick in Word, but it didn't do anything?

Is this feature only available on certain versions of Word? Or am I being massively stupid in some way?

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 01:17:51 pm »

Ah, apparently it only works in Word 2007, 2010 and 2013 (Sorry, I thought it had been around for longer than that)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:20:29 pm by Michael Farley » Logged
FenrisWolf
Officer

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 01:20:33 pm »

I've got an old TXT file which contains Beowulf in the old tongue. I use that as a filler.

Fenris Wolf
Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
www.fenrisoswin.com 
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:36 pm »

I've got an old TXT file which contains Beowulf in the old tongue. I use that as a filler.

HWÆT?
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Great idea for a filler.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »

Ah, apparently it only works in Word 2007, 2010 and 2013 (Sorry, I thought it had been around for longer than that)

That's perfectly alright. I shall try it out again when I get home. The computer at work is still using the 2003 version. I have no particular use for this at the moment anyway, but it's a cool trick to know!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:53 pm »

Pages in OSX has a widget for that http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/reference/loremipsumwidget.html
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »

y'know, we should probably ask what is being done with the prop. If you're asking for text, then it's likely it's being opened. Unless someone has to thumb through it, you could just need two pages. A dab of glue on the page before and after, and it opens to the 'correct' page.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 06:27:12 pm »

y'know, we should probably ask what is being done with the prop. If you're asking for text, then it's likely it's being opened. Unless someone has to thumb through it, you could just need two pages. A dab of glue on the page before and after, and it opens to the 'correct' page.

Alternatively but along the same lines, a few proper pages and then have something hidden in the book!
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 06:35:34 pm »

Alternatively but along the same lines, a few proper pages and then have something hidden in the book!

Ooh, there's a thought.
FenrisWolf
Officer

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »

Ooh, there's a thought.

Aye, but nothing illegal like Laverbread Wink
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:20 pm »

I'd hide a book inside that book. Just because.

pakled05
Officer

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 05:29:54 am »

sort of like the Rock Hammer in Shawshank Redemption being in Exodus (which is what Greek 'exit' signs have) in the Bible
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:08:07 am »

There's a company that sells cuddly bookworms.
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 06:42:27 am »

Sorry for the late response. But to answer the question of what is being done with the book that I was wanting filler. My wife has a character she plays and the book is over sized and sits on a table  and is perused by her as people come through. Its rather large almost 18" tall and 4" thick when closed. I did not need all the pages to have text just 20 or so that will have hand drawn images on them. So if she or anyone else is flipping through it during an act it looks real.  I had considered the lorem ipsum text but found an online text on mythos about vampires, werewolves and demons in Romanian and was given permission to use it as my filler. Thanks all for the help though. I am certainly using the lorem ipsum generator for a few other projects I have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: