The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 10:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Inside the Victorian Home"  (Read 2407 times)
Mrs. Saxe-Coburg
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:29:57 pm »

I wanted to share my love for a certain "guide book". It's actually a great resource researching our favorite era:
"Inside the Victorian Home" :a portrait of domestic life in Victorian England
by Judith Flanders

I gleefully found this gem on one of my monthly used book store rummages, and quickly absorbed it into my library.

It's unlike more research books because it doesn't turn it's nose up at the things that were different to todays taboos, ie. modest fashion, separate bedrooms, strict upbringing of children. Rather it just gives a straight forward picture of everyday life for the victorian family.

And personally I use it as a must read to understanding the base for "steampunk" lore. How can you understand the fantasy without understanding the reality on which its based?
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:08:41 pm »

Dear Mrs. Saxe-Coburg,

I sense that I may have found a kindred spirit.  I collect books like that also.

Vienna
Mrs. Saxe-Coburg
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:06:03 am »

Really? Wonderful! Any recomendations of your own?
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 04:51:54 am »

Dear Mrs. Saxe-Coburg,

Yes, but unfortunately most of them are in storage at the moment.  I'll dig out and post the one I know I can reach next time.

Vienna
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:27:43 am »

Heritage Square is a great Victorian Museum in Los Angeles. They talk a lot about lifestyle and culture, as well as people, history, and architecture.

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
Mrs. Saxe-Coburg
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:50:21 pm »

I've only been in LA once. Although I have some friends who want to make another trip. I'll have to check it out apon my return. Thanks!
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 04:49:51 pm »

Dear Mrs. Saxe-Coburg,

I know this is a bit off-topic, but since you obviously love costuming, be sure to check out the fabric district downtown.  The prices are generally pretty good and the range of fabrics is astounding.  Be prepared to haggle, it's expected in a lot of stores.

Vienna
Brass Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 07:32:30 pm »

I saw this book on Amazon.com this weekend and although curious, I didn't buy it.  Now that I've read this, I think I'll go ahead and buy it.  Currently, I'm studying American furniture at Sotheby's, and I can't wait until we get to the 19th century.  Victorian decor is so out-of-vogue, but it lets enthusiasts like me buy furniture on the cheap.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:34:03 pm by Brass Rabbit » Logged
Mrs. Saxe-Coburg
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:38:11 pm »

Someday when the "Steampunk" is -NOW- and our furniture is fashionable, we shall be famous beyond belief...

Or atleast have popular homes that people will want to sit in.  Grin
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:10:14 am »

Someday when the "Steampunk" is -NOW-

Unfortunately, that day is coming fast.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:06:05 am »

People already like to sit in our home, even though it's comfortable Art Deco, rather than Steampunk.  Maybe old-fashioned, no TV rooms are coming back around.  People seem to settle in and enjoy the conversation more when there is not a box to stare at.  (We did ours to match the era of the house.).

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 07:31:28 pm »

Dear Mrs. Saxe-Coburg,

I finally got to the bookshelf in the guest room and dug out my "oldie but goodie" Victorian interior reference book...

"Decorative Art of Victoria's Era" by Frances Lichten.

It covers many aspects of Victorian interiors and the cultural sentiments that inspired them.  If you can find this one, it's worth getting.

Vienna
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: