The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 03:50:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Parkour?  (Read 921 times)
Daisuke_sanada
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

« on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:51 am »

though yes I'm still on my samurai story a thought kind of occured, anyone here a fan of Parkour? plus anyone have any ideas how to do a steampunk parkour??
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:38:10 am »

Two movies come to mind that might inspire you.
Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times", factory scene.
and
Jacky Chan's "Shanghai Knights", market scene and River Thames theme.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:58:43 pm »

I used to instruct parkour when I was in university, so if you need anything, I'm always about, though I'm not a "fan" of parkour, in the same way as I'm not a "fan" of steampunk.

That said, if you want to add it into your story you're best off leaving it as is, since the whole point of parkour (from the mouth of one of its creators) is that it requires no equipment. The kids who started it were from poor families who couldn't afford the things the other kids were playing with, skateboards, rollerblades, bikes etc. and decided to come up with a method of doing similar tricks without the equipment, and it developed into its own sport.

So no steam powered running machines, no spring-loaded leg braces. The whole point of it is to be free of equipment. It consists solely of people interacting directly with their environment. It has a soul, a feeling, that would be lost if reduced to mechanisms.

Madame Momerath
Snr. Officer
United States United States

All is not lost! Some of it is hidden.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:19:38 pm »

I've come across a version of parkour (of sorts) in the first Barnaby Grimes book by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. The main character is a messenger boy who "highstacks" his way over rooftops and such. Though the book is aimed at a younger audience, it's still an entertaining read.

Look to the sky. You will not find answers there, but you will certainly see what everyone's screaming about.
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »

I guess the only requirement for steampunk parkour is a suitably practical outfit - so no top hats/morning coats/corsets/etc

It's not where you're from, it's wear your hat.

- Mr B
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:45 pm »

You should dress up like Spring-Heeled Jack.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:56 am »

I can imagine a great scene involving parkour in a Steampunk environment, such as a factory, an engine room, something like that.

As mentioned above, your characters may have to disrobe in a Gentlemanly fashion, then put their jacket et al back on after their exertions. Could be quite fun.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:05 pm »

Do you concider Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd as Steampunk parkour? The more I think of it, the modern parkour with eastern martial art skills doesn't trigger the Steampunk in parkour. I tend to go more towards "regular" western skills. Something like tightrope, boxing, horseback riding and fencing refrences. Mixed with a good use of the inviroment.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

Suitable shoes for Steampunk Parkour

Before Trainers there were Plimpsoles/Plimsolls are canvas shoes with a rubber sole invented by The Liverpool Rubber Company in the 1830s. and sold as Sand Shoes.  They acquired the popular nickname of plimpsoles in the 1870s.

I have been given two possible derivations of the nickname.
1) It derives from the idea that they were only waterproof below a certain line, like The Plimsoll line for ship safety.
2) The name comes from sound of the soft and relatively noiseless sole just going plimp rather than thud as a hard soled shoe would.

DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »

Assassin's Creed has elements of freerunning in historical scenarios, it's worth having a look at; it's nice, it makes the environment free, and some of the routes taken through tombs and buildings are quite creative.

I think one of the biggest hurdles would be trying to pin the flow and feeling of the art in words. If you're up to it, hang out with some traceurs and get involved, learn the movements and feel what they feel. It really does change the way you see things.

Additionally, Mirror's Edge, another game, has a more obvious element of this vision, highlighting the major routes in red, in a world of white. It's not quite like that in real life, obviously, but it does change the way one looks at the immediate environment.
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:42:42 am »

though yes I'm still on my samurai story a thought kind of occured, anyone here a fan of Parkour? plus anyone have any ideas how to do a steampunk parkour??

I think a steampunk version would take every opportunity to pause for tea, strike a dandy stance for the photographer, and far from being quick there would be an air of liesure around the proceedings. Any assitance would be from a polite chap carrying the windup gramaphone on a suitable conveyence, maybe a new spelling too; Parcure !

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »

I think a steampunk version would take every opportunity to pause for tea, strike a dandy stance for the photographer, and far from being quick there would be an air of liesure around the proceedings. Any assitance would be from a polite chap carrying the windup gramaphone on a suitable conveyence, maybe a new spelling too; Parcure !

The world's first photograph of parkour was taken by Monsieur Louis Daguerre in 1838.  The names of the two traceur are unrecorded, but they were required to break the flow of their movement across the frame for a full eight minutes of the ten minute exposure.  The adoption of the pose of the shoeshine and his customer are thought to be symbolic although the meaning of the symbolism has been forgotten.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wink
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »

Yup! Definitely needs someone with a huge hand cranked camera to be filming the whole escapade.
The Freerunners that I see never seem to go anywhere without a couple of video cameras. Even when they are just doing a bit of training on the local railings and bollards (which, frankly, I could jump, and I'm a Fifty year old, Pipe smoking, Lardy.)

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

Re:
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 02:35:54 am »

Wait does anyone have any of the springheel jack dime novels? I know it was a longish running myth/figure. Think it went from possibly evil to spun as heroic in story.

Anyone?

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: