The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:31:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sherlock..  (Read 2073 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:51 am »

So did any one watch how he faked his death ?  Grin

George Lucas couldn't of written better escape plan himself

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:20 am »

Loved how they teased us with throughout the story. Particularly the "slash" version. Smiley

Anyway, not much of a mystery this time around, but some brilliant character building stuff.

And that ending...intriguing.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:55 am »

I liked the way Watson reacted to finding out that he was still alive, I thought it was a very authentic sort of reaction....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:14:22 pm »

Good, I look forward to seeing this. Smiley

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »

Loved how they teased us with throughout the story. Particularly the "slash" version. Smiley

Anyway, not much of a mystery this time around, but some brilliant character building stuff.

And that ending...intriguing.

I thought the bungee drop was too ridiculous for it not to be true , and the rebound up to the window was priceless Cheesy
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:00 pm »

I really enjoyed watching this.  And there are few programmes about which I would say that.
Orndorff
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:39:54 pm »

I really enjoyed watching this.  And there are few programmes about which I would say that.

Same here, next episode is tomorrow night  Smiley

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 11:09:38 pm »

I should hope Lucas could *have* written a better escape plan than "I jumped off a building but landed on something soft and then laid down and played dead". I don't feel resolving cliffhangers is their strong suit.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:36 pm »

When Derren Brown appeared...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Silk Willoughby
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:22:27 am »

The Sherlock / Moriarty version had me laughing out loud. The whole episode was brilliant.
How many watched the start and said " Derren Brown? No way!" out loud? I know I did.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:27:34 am by Silk Willoughby » Logged

In the jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at 12 o'clock they foam at the mouth and run
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:23 am »

The Sherlock / Moriarty version had me laughing out loud. The whole episode was brilliant.
How many watched the start and said " Derren Brown? No way!" out loud? I know I did.

Exactly!
(Hello Madame, hope you're well)
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 04:43:45 am »

So who's seen episode 2?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:30 am »

Best bit :
After confronting David about his hidden interest in the bride-to-be, and being summarily downgraded to "casual acquaintance" with Sherlock adding "...no more than three planed social encounters per year, and always in John's presence... I have your contact details, I will be monitoring"

David - "They're right about you, you're a bloody psychopath!"
Sherlock - "High functioning sociopath! - with your number... :grins: "

I literally LOLed at that!  Grin

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord

Re:
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:28:03 pm »

Yeah, must admit I did too XD

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »

I thought it was an interesting idea, putting Sherlock into the most uncomfortable social situation possible.  I liked the way he connected with the little boy, I thought 'future protege?'
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:02 pm »

The internet seems to be full of people complaining about the new series (The Guardian even has a poll asking if it has 'jumped the shark').

I can't see what all the fuss is about. I've been really enjoying the new series at least as much as the first two. Sunday's episode took the usual "Sherlock and Watson are sat around in Baker St until someone walks in with a mystery" format and turned it on it's head using flashbacks which I thought was wonderful.

As a nervous public speaker I squirmed along with Sherlock as he started his speech. I assumed it would be over in a minute or two, then Watson and Mary would be off on their honeymoon, possibly leaving Sherlock to solve a case on his own or with an unlikely sidekick (eg Mrs Hudson). Staying with the speech and using that as the jumping off point for retelling several different cases which all merged into one was an excellent idea.

Incidentally a few people online grumbled that Sunday's episode didn't feature the villain spotted in the last few moments of The Empty Hearse. However both The Blind Banker in series 1 and The Hounds of Baskerville in series 2 were stand-alone stories which didn't feature Moriarty, so I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 04:18:16 pm »

I've come to the conclusion that the reason that people are getting so worked up about Sherlock is that there are so few episodes. If you don't like an episode of a 20+ episode season you just write it off and wait for the following week. But when an episode is one of only 3 people start judging the series' future on a single misstep.

However, I have enjoyed both of the episodes so far, although I think my enjoyment of this weeks was increased by working out the locked shower mystery almost immediately and creeping out my mother.

~A~

Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »

However, I have enjoyed both of the episodes so far, although I think my enjoyment of this weeks was increased by working out the locked shower mystery almost immediately and creeping out my mother.

~A~

I was convinced some kind of dagger made of ice was involved. I was, as is so often the case, very wrong. However the quality of the storytelling is so good I didn't mind at all.
Decent ship Sargent
Gunner
England England

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 09:32:55 pm »

I FLIPPIN LOVE SHERLOCK!!!!!!!!! All in all a great adaptation of a classic tale still keeping the feel of Conan Doyles original books.

"Still swinging both ways Rochester?"
"Jamie, I swing every way!!!!"
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 10:37:32 pm »

For me this series is a big improvement on the second one.

In particular Holmes seems like much more of a three dimensional and credible character. I like the fact that they have reinterpreted the character and focused on some of his less attractive personality traits but he was in danger of turning into a bit of a caricature. Arrogance and aloofness are justified to a certain extent by the original Conan-Doyle stories but his social naivety made no sense in someone who is supposed to be a consummate actor and student of human behaviour.  After all the original stories are as much about understanding motivation and predicting behaviour as forensic analysis.

I can accept that he might not care about social conventions but not that he doesn't understand them. So it's good that this has been toned down in this series and he's showing a few more layers to his personality.

The more chaotic style of storytelling also seems to work a lot better and the writers seem a bit more confident in letting the characters tell the story without getting bogged down in an overly-cryptic 'story arc' which seemed a bit lacking in structure in series 2. I think that there was a bit of a tendency to over sell the impending menace before.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:17 pm »

I've been watching the 'fan' reaction to Sherlock with interest, to see if it would be tarred with the same Moffat-shaped brush as is being used to do down Doctor Who: and, despite a few very vocal fans saying "It's as bad as Who", it seems to be less vociferous; indeed, like Who, the general reaction is still overwhelmingly positive!

The loudest complaint in fandom seems to be "Too lighthearted, where's the edge?", but as Moffat so nearly said in a radio interview just yesterday, we're making it a fun ride, so the crash at the end is even more horrific...

Wink

Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »

An article I shared at some point last year, as it's become topical again

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/01/29/the-fake-townhouses-hiding-mystery-underground-portals/

Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:43 am »

During last week's episode, at the start of Sherlock's best man's speech he read a telegram to the happy couple from "Cam" and Mary flinched.

Any chance it was a hidden message (or a threat) from Charles Augustus Magnussen (C.A.M.)?

Here's a link to the start of the scene: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b03ny7ng/?t=19m15s.

If this is true, I think it's great the makers of the show would include a clue so subtle that even Sherlock didn't notice it; there was no mention of it in this week's episode (although it may just have ended up on the cutting room floor).

[For the record, I can't take credit for spotting it. Someone far more observant than me mentioned it in the comments below a review of last week's episode]
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:57 am »

I've very nearly had my fill of "fans". A more unpleasant, nit-picky, impossible to please lot you'll ever have the misfortune to meet.

Well, hopefully they were satisfied with tonights series finale (So soon? Sad) It was properly grim, and complex to the point where I nearly lost track as to what was going on. A truely disturbing villain (I wish DW had opponents of this calibre), and I dearly loved what they did with Mary (truely did not see that coming) and the fake ending.

Trying to avoid spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:54 am »

I've very nearly had my fill of "fans". A more unpleasant, nit-picky, impossible to please lot you'll ever have the misfortune to meet.

As a fan I would like to say I resemble that remark.

And just to add a note of dissent, I haven't enjoyed this season at all. All filla no thrilla for me. The first season was a clever reimagining of how the stories may have panned out in the modern era, less focused on that in the second season and this season not at all and I think it suffered for it.

You can argue that Brett did the definitive canon Holmes (don't mention the Sussex vampire though) and therefore this one can do something new, but if you lose the essence of Holmes then you end up with someone who does vaguely Holmesian things and end up with House or Elementary.

Interestingly the first Guy Ritchie Holmes film despite being something of a Steampunk romp still had that focus on the nature of the character, whereas the second lost that and turned him into Bulldog Drummond and was much weaker because of it.

But what do I know, if the critics like it and enough people tune in I'm sure they'll be more and they'll find still more amusing ways to kill him and then bring him back.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: