The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:58:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Journals of James Purcel - Mythobiology [Preview]  (Read 1380 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« on: December 28, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »

Not sure if I have posted this but

Chapter 1 - The wolfen Watcher.

The werewolf looked up into the cloud covered sky seeking the full moon that was shining somewhere above. On All Hallows eve, the moon was at it’s fullest allowing the doorway between this world and his world to open, giving access to those who knew of it’s presence to cross. This world believes that the door way lead to the spirit realm and for a limited time, allowed ghost and daemons to pass back and forth between world. The truth was far scarier, the door way lead in to the Vail, a kind of sub world that existed between the worlds of the living and contained all the forgotten creatures from the dark story's told to scare people. The Vail had not been there original home, there world was called Albion and existed on the other side of the Vail. During the time of the Druids and the fall of the Roman empire, his kind has been hunted and along with other more darker creatures had been banished from there home.

Since he had come here, he had yet to spot the white disk through this accursed downpour, not that it mattered much because he could still feel the energy in the air. The rain was falling in a torrent and his fur was already soaked through, running down his back along his skin. A shiver caused by the icy cold touch of the water forced him to stand and shudder for the third time in ten minutes. He stretched and gave a canine shake in an attempt to shed some of the accumulating excess weight. Above him the sky was momentary lit by the flash of lightning that filled the sky with the smell of burnt air  and added to the charged sensation. The flash was followed a few seconds later by a deep, long rumble of thunder that could be felt vibrating through the structure of the building that he stood on.

He was here by order of the clan’s elder who had told him that he will one day bring about a great war, a war of which he was to become the greatest leader of the clan and engulf the lives of two long separated worlds. Something in the way that the Elder said his speech troubled him, there was something that he wasn’t saying and it was those unsaid things that weighed heavily on his thoughts. Tonight was the first step in a plan that would take nearly twenty years to come to fruition and would permanently open the door long since sealed since the true druids fled this world.

In the street below, illuminated by the amber glow of the street’s gas lighting, people were spilling out of the theatre having enjoyed whatever show had been on. Old and young exited the building completely oblivious to the werewolf stood on the roof watching them. Some of them had the forethought to remember an umbrella but of those who didn’t, he watched them scatter across the street trying to find shelter. He was on the look out for one newly engaged couple, the woman he could have his way with, but the man was the key to the future of the two worlds. As he watched, the last of the theatre goers walked out of the door and into the night. Walking hand in hand down the theatre’s steps was the couple matching the description that had been given by the elder. The werewolf cast a look up and down the road looking for signs of police. Happy to not see any source of distraction, he turned and gripping the edge of the roof with a claw that crushed the brickwork, jumped off the roof and landing with a silence that belied his size, in the alley that the couple would be passing.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:47:32 pm »

We came out of the theatre after enjoying a wonderful show like giddy children. A few days ago I had finally built up the courage to ask Professor Isaac Theologian, my mentor and father of the girl for permission to marry. He had said nothing for nearly a quarter of an hour as he sat at his study desk giving me a stern look. Eventually the corner of his mouth had raised in a smile. “I wondered when you would pluck up the courage to ask me,” he had said, before giving me his consent to the marriage. As an engagement present, he had arranged for theatre tickets followed by dinner in one of the high society restaurant that were located close by. His work with the university that day had unfortunately prevented him from seeing the show himself, and so we had made arrange to meet up with him for the meal afterwards.

So wrapped up were we in our enjoyment of the show that we did not see a huge person waiting near the entrance of the alley we were about to pass, it wasn’t until Eleanor was grabbed and dragged backwards into the dark. I looked up and down the road for a police officer, but was interrupted by a deep voice.

“Get in here without raising any noise,” the man holding Eleanor ordered. I cast a last look around and stepped into the gloom after them.

“What do you want from us?” I asked, my voice shaking with fear.

“You?” He said with a chuckle, “nothing. You are going to stand there and watch me kill you beautiful fiancée.”

“Why?” I asked.

The man stepped closer. Light from a passing car entered the alley, reflecting off its eyes and I froze. This was no man that stood in front of me. In my studies I had come across descriptions of his kind and only one word escaped my lips, causing him to smile. “Lycanthrope.”

“Ah, I see you recognise my kind then,” he said with a malicious smile.

“Why are you doing this?”I asked.

He smiled at me, then licked the side of Eleanor’s face, causing her to faint. “This girl of yours smells good enough to eat. I am feeling hungry, so I may just start on her.” he said as his wolfen lips pulled up showing many razor sharp teeth, saliva pooling along his gums before dripping out, on to her shoulder.

“But why us?” I asked, trying to look for something to use as a weapon.

Its smile returned as his eyes narrowed on me, a glitter of amusement in them. He stood there silently watching me, I slowly stepped towards the building walls that lined the alley searching for something I could use as a weapon, my fingers grasped at something cold and round and I hoped this would do. I lifted up the object and watched as his smiled increased.

“So you actually want to fight me?” the lycanthrope taunted.

I watched as one of its hairy almost human like clawed hands wrapped around her neck and lifted Eleanor until her toes barely reached the floor. It’s other hand came around and extending one finger like appendage, ran a sharp claw down her face, cutting her skin just enough to make a pearlescent, crimson line of blood appear.

“Let her go,” I said in a shaky voice, while brandishing the length of metal bar like a sword fighter I had seen in a book.

“You think you can stop me with that?” the lycanthrope asked, amusement all over its face.

I tightened my grip on my weapon and edged forward.

“Are you sure you want to do that?” he asked, lifting Eleanor up higher so that even her toes were now clear of the cobbled floor.

“Put her down,” I repeated.

He grinned at me and ripped open her dress around the shoulder area. I watched in horror as he slowly licked her skin causing goosebumps to rise on her pale skin and her to wake up, her eyes were filled with horror. I did not know what to do, I pushed away the fear about what would happen to myself and ran at the lycanthrope swinging the pole. His arm swung out and hit me in the chest, knocking the air out of me and sending me flying across the alley to smash into a wall. With a clanging sound, my weapon bounced away and there was a sickening crunch from my arm along with a sharp pain that was echoed by an equally sharp pain in my chest that caused me to double over. My eye sight blurred and tears welled up in them as I fought to get breath back into my lungs. I could hear him laughing and the sound of Eleanor’s muffled screams. I reached out a hand and managed to pull myself to my feet, feeling pain in other parts of my body. Time seemed to slow down as he lifted her even higher, opened his jaws before closing them down on her shoulder. I felt frozen, my legs wouldn’t respond, all I could do was stand there and watch as his teeth sank deeper into her flesh causing more of her pearlescent crimson blood to spill down her chest. It started as a small trickle as its teeth punctured the skin, but as its bite increased so did the flow until it was a solid thick stream.

Through all of this Eleanor’s screamed but as the blood flow increased, they were reduced to a whimper before finally dying out. Her once blue dress now, ran scarlet with her blood and the last of the colour from drain from her face as her skin turned to a ghostly shade of white. The lycanthrope’s eyes were fixed on on me the whole time and I watched in horror as the corners of his lips raised in an animalistic smile. Still I stood there frozen to the spot, unable to stop the atrocity happening in front of me. With a sickening, soggy ripping sound, the werewolf ripped a chunk out of her flesh.

“Ah, such a superb taste, quite exquisite specimen.” It said letting her fall to the floor and into the puddle of her own blood that had pooled below her and then licking its lips to clean away any blood that was trapped in its facial fur.

“What are you going to do now?” I asked, finally able to speak.

“Nothing, I have done what I came to do, so I will now bid you farewell.” And with a bow, he turned and left me alone with the body of my fiancée. Before it disappeared around a corner at the far end of the alley it stopped and called back, “Oh and do not think that this is the last you will see of me, we will have further business with each other in the years to come!”

As the wolfen left the far end, it turned back into human form and put on the pile of clothes it has hidden away. He walked down a road that lead away from the theatres and was met by and old mad and a young officer dressed in a black uniform bearing the golden badge of the house of Pendragon and Camelot. “Is it done, Ketsueki Kage?”

“It is done as you requested. The first steps in this plan of yours is now under way.”

“Good work Kage, the time for our return will soon be upon us.” the soldier replied.

“It’s time for us to return.” the old man said closing the face of his pocket watch as a gray fog swirled around them. When the fog parted the three of them were gone.
Elliot Locke
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:10:34 pm »

Hey,

I think you've got the start of an intriguing plot here, but it is somewhat undone by your run-on sentences and difficult-to-follow passages. There are numerous missing commas, misplaced commas, its/it's confusion ("it's" is "it is" whilst "its" is used for the possessive form). A further problem is the POV switch in your second post, which is rather confusing: you start out from the POV of the man leaving the theatre, but by the end of the passage your POV seems to be with the werewolf again. I'd suggest splitting these up to avoid confusion. I'd also carefully proofread and watch for misuse of commas, apostrophes and hyphens, as what is a promising plot gets somewhat lost in the shuffle.

http://themire.co.uk/ -- being a veracious and accurate account of goings-on in the deepest heart of the savage Mire and the wondrous steam-powered Portstown
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:47 pm »

Hey,

I think you've got the start of an intriguing plot here, but it is somewhat undone by your run-on sentences and difficult-to-follow passages. There are numerous missing commas, misplaced commas, its/it's confusion ("it's" is "it is" whilst "its" is used for the possessive form). A further problem is the POV switch in your second post, which is rather confusing: you start out from the POV of the man leaving the theatre, but by the end of the passage your POV seems to be with the werewolf again. I'd suggest splitting these up to avoid confusion. I'd also carefully proofread and watch for misuse of commas, apostrophes and hyphens, as what is a promising plot gets somewhat lost in the shuffle.

Thank you for taking the time to read through.

I switched back to the wolf?
Opps sorry missed that.
Elliot Locke
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:11 pm »

Yes, the bit that begins "as the wolfen left the far end..." seems to be back with the werewolf, after previously having been with the gentleman in the alley.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:19:37 pm »

Yes, the bit that begins "as the wolfen left the far end..." seems to be back with the werewolf, after previously having been with the gentleman in the alley.

I struggled on how to divide this bit as james had become zombied.
The Pov changes in the next scene to that of the girls father but that has a positive POV change.
Most of the series is set in James POV.

As to proof reading - computers are crap at this, something to do with being stuck in illiterates EN-US language instead of proper English. (And if you haven't guessed, despite EN-GB being my native language, I and not very good at it!)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:24:35 pm »

The restaurant.

Isaac sat at a table in one of the restaurants booths looking towards the door’s, periodically checking his pocket watch, according to the theatres time table, the show had finished twenty minutes ago and they should have arrived here, by now. Checking his watch for the umpteenth time in so few minutes, he looked up to the front windows attracted to a disturbance going on outside. There were screams and people were running passed the entrance, one of the waiters walked out of the door and stopped, looking down the road, watching as someone started walking past the front of the restaurant.

The person walking past was wearing a brown and dark red suit and was carrying was a woman dressed in blue. For a moment Isaac didn’t recognise who the person was, but as he pushed his way through the entrance doors, Isaac hope the person wasn’t who he suspected it to be. One of the waiters tried to stop the man entering, but the person pushed passed and came to a stop inside.

Isaac watched as the blood and tear streaked face looked around the dining room before it came to a stop on him, there was sorrow in the eyes and Isaac realised he was looking into the face of his son in law to be and student, James Purcell. Without giving a single thought to the other patrons of the restaurant, Isaac stood and sent his chair skittering across the floor into another patron who was watching the events unfold. forcing his way through the diners pushing anyone that got in the way to the floor, as he approached James, he watched the boys eyes roll up into his head before collapsing to the floor, landing on top of a woman Isaac now recognised as his daughter.

Isaac slowly approached, pushing past restaurant staff. Kneeling down, he looked his daughter up and down, he eyes were closed and her skin was incredibly pale. He watched as one of the waiters pulled James off of Eleanor, revealing the large jagged wound to her shoulder. Looking down at her chest, he realised that she wasn’t breathing and that there was a red stain down her dress was blood that had come from the wound. There was a woman’s scream followed by a crash and Isaac turned to look over to see a waiter fanning a towel over a woman who had collapsed.

“Is there a a doctor in the house?” Isaac called out.

“Let me through, I’m a doctor.” A round gentleman said pushing past. “Oh God,” He said as he looked at her, “We need to get her out of here and onto a table, is there a room we can use?” He asked turning to the restaurant staff.

“This way.” Said the manager calling some of the staff forward to help lift her.

Isaac was about to follow when a hand appeared on his shoulder, He span around ready to hit the owner and stopped to look at a soldier. “Let them work, we need to find whoever did this.” The soldier asked a police constable entered.

Isaac turned to James to see his eye’s flutter open. “What happened, James?” Isaac asked.

James’s eye’s looked up at the ceiling but Isaac could tell from the glassed look to them that he was not seeing it. After what felt like an eternity of waiting, James whispered one word, “Lycanthrope.” Before his eye’s rolled back up into his head before passing out for the second time.

“What did he he say?” the police constable asked.

Isaac turned to the constable, if he really told them the truth, they would think he was mad or covering for someone. “A monster attacked them.”

“Where did they come from, when they were attacked?” The constable asked in a thick Irish accent.

“The theatre just down the road, I had purchased them tickets to the show, they were supposed to come here after the show for dinner to celebrate there engagement.” Isaac said looking towards the door where they had taken his daughter. The doctor came out without his jacket followed by the hotel manager, The manager ordered a couple of glasses and gave one to the doctor and the other to Isaac. Isaac was about to ask what was happening when he felt the hand of the soldier on his arm again.

“I think you may need to take a seat, good sir.” He said pulling over a chair.

Isaac took the glass and sat down, keeping his eye’s on the doctor in front of him.

“I am sorry,” He said taking a good swig of the glasses content, “I have tried everything I could but the wound was to serious, I have to tell you the bad news that she was already dead before we took her out into the back room.” He said watching Isaac.

“We need to find the monster.” Isaac said, his face a mask covering the anger growling inside. He drank the contents and started to get up.

“Please don’t sir, let the constables deal with it, you have the boy here to look after.” The soldier said.

The doctor turned and looked down at James, kneeling down to check him over. Carefully feeling every bone in the young man’s body. “He has a broken arm and several broken ribs, I am surprised he managed to carry your daughter here, he must have been in serious pain.” He said before standing up and wiping his hands. “He needs to get to hospital immediately, as to your daughter, I am afraid there is nothing else that we can do for her now, except take her to a morgue.”

The glass that Isaac had been holding, slipped from his hand and crashed on the floor scattering glass shards everywhere. The doctor knelt down and looked at Isaac “Are you OK, sir?” He asked “Is there any family you can stay with?”

Isaac looked him in the eyes but nodded. “No, she was my only child, all I have left is my house staff.”

“Where do you Live?” the soldier asked.

Isaac whispered the address and the soldier helped him to his feet. The constable was bout to stop them when the soldier held out his hand. “I will make sure he gets home and see to the house staff. If it helps, I will also stay in the house until an inspector arrives in the morning.”

The constable allowed him to leave before summoning an ambulance to take the boy to the hospital and the girl to the morgue.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »

Ignore the spelling and grammer as it is only draft 0.1.

I need help, I feel that for a cliff hanger ending the following lack emotion and feeling. Could you, my dear reader post your view of it?

The following is from book1/3 of the diaries of James purcell and is copyright Adam Bryant 2013, all rights reserved. If can offer me some help I can offer you a part in my books.

The execution of James Purcell.

Six days and seven nights, Six long days followed by six even longer night have I sat here in the prison cell. When you know that your life is about to end, time seams to slow down to a crawl, minutes stretch into hours, hours turn into days, day, well, they feel like a whole lifetime. I haven’t slept very well since they passed the guilty judgement on me, Guilty of a crime I didn’t commit in a trial that was twisted against me. The whole trial had felt to have been a set up and even Mr Haggit felt that as well but there was nothing any of us could do about it. My mind was switching through emotions faster then I could count, one minute I felt remorse and regret, the next minute I was feeling anger and hatred. But now I was feeling sick, so sick that I had to refuse a last meal in fear or bringing the whole that back up and over the cell. I hadn’t been completely alone for the whole time, I had been allowed to have some visitors and had visits from Shelly and Bobby to help pass the time but these had been few and far between. Mr Haggit had also visited keep me updated on the appeal they were trying to raise but with today being the scheduled date of my execution, time and hope had run out. On the second day I had been visited by the artisan warder who would be assembling and adjusting the scaffold for my hanging and I had a visit from the undertaker who measured me up for my coffin. I hadn’t been left alone when the visitors had left, several times I had been pulled from the cell and made to join the other prisoners in what the warders called “compulsory yard exercises.”  These exercises were nothing more then walking in a circle around the yard for hours on end.

As if on cue the door to my cell opened and in walked the prisons Chaplin who walked to one side of the door and started to read from his bible. The executioner and artisan warder walked in carrying several strong leather straps and pinioned my arms to my sides and my wrists together behind my back. I took a deep breath and looked out the door to see the governor of the gaol stood against the far wall with the under sheriff on one side with the deputy governor  and prison surgeon stood solemnly on his other side, with a group of additional warders flanking them on both sides. As the executioner and warder went about there work, the Chaplin stood next to me muttering about God having mercy on my soul, but all I can think of as I stood there bound up is that I hope gods wrath is unleashed against that Lycanthrope that started all this. I do not know if this was the point where I started to want to live but I knew then that I wanted to get revenge and I started asking what ever deity existed to help me live and to survive this. When the preparations were finished, I was guided out of the cell and along the block to the corridor that led out to the yard to where the scaffold waited for its next resident.

As I waited in front of the last door that led outside, I started to feel scared that this truly was the end, I felt regret for the things I had not done, and my mind raced through all the what if’s like it was trying to find away out of this one way trip. Those were not the only emotions that ran through my mind, I was feeling angry and frustrated that I couldn’t help myself and sorrow for my parents who honour had been lost by there son being executed. The door opened and warm sunlight crept through, filling me with warmth as more light reached me. When the door had fully opened, I was led out to the yard with my party and as we approached the other prisoners who were exercising, they stopped and parted to allow us through. As we approached the gallows, all but the executioner and the warder holding me, lined up and on the ground and watched as I was led up the stairs and placed on a spot marked on the trap door to which I would fall through. More straps were added to my ankles and around my knees and I was thankful because with out them, my knees were be shaking so much that they would be bruised from knocking together. A white cloth bag was placed over my head and I felt the hang man’s noose place around my neck and pulled tight. I listened to the foot steps of the executioner walking over to the leaver that would open the plat for below me and heard a commotion from the direction off the door that I was led down.

“Let me through, you must stop this at once, the man that you are about to kill is innocent!” A voice was shouting across the yard.

There was a shuffle of feet on the platform before someone swore, I felt the platform disappear from beneath me and I fell to me death, there was a sharp pain in my neck as my falling was stopped. The rope jerked tight, forcing my wind pipe close and I found myself unable to breath.  The rib's and bones in my arms that were still healing from the attack broke again and my mind was flooded with pain. I had promised myself that I wouldn’t fight it, that I would let death come naturally but something was wrong and my internal warning alarm that had proved so helpful during my studies was going off. I had been told that it would be quick and that the weight of my own body would snap my neck, but here I was still alive, flapping around like a fish on a line, slowing suffocating as the rope slowly tightened from my own body weight pulling on it. I was starting to see stars around my vision from lack of air and I felt my conciousness closing in around me, my the last thing I remembered before my world turned black was, “ So this is what dying feels like.”
Salty Carruthers
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:58:57 pm »

I concur with Elliot Locke.
You have a great story on the way I think, it hooked me in very quickly, nice work!

Have you considered writing the scenes in the wolf's POV in italics? It would help to clarify the POV shift when you switch from James' perspective back to the Wolf's.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:37:48 pm »

I concur with Elliot Locke.
You have a great story on the way I think, it hooked me in very quickly, nice work!

Have you considered writing the scenes in the wolf's POV in italics? It would help to clarify the POV shift when you switch from James' perspective back to the Wolf's.

Thanks, I actually rewrote the section but added a graphical split to the sections!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »

The Diaries of James Purcell, Mythobiology, Tales of the Aether Shadow, Kitsune, Black Diary, Gray wolf, Black War, Creature’s Return (Eleanor’s Beast in older versions), The Pumpkin Dragons, Bristol Victorian Gazette and all other documents that fall under these names or related names are Copyright © Adam Bryant, 2012.

All rights reserved. It is prohibited to reproduce or host this document in part or in full without prior written consent.

The execution of James Purcell.

The swirl of fog that always preceded there entry into this world, was hidden, but the fog that was already present. The three had come to witness the end of the first step in their long plan concerning the boy and they were here to make sure it happened the way it needed to happen. As they stepped out of the thicker bank of fog trapped between two buildings, they were joined by several more men. Like the youngest of the three, the additional men were dressed in the uniform of the Camalonian guards, there sole purpose here was to storm the prison and make sure that their leader was unhindered in his access to the boy when he swung from the rope. None of them spoke as they made their way to the prison, they didn't need to everything that could possibly happen had been accounted for and all they needed to do was follow it. They made their way to the prisons entrance, but stopped a street away. The youngest and the soldiers would wait and make there move just before the boy was to hang. The old gentleman and his companion walked on and joined the crowd that had gathered outside the gate.
Hidden from view on the roof top above the soldiers, another person knelt watching events unfold, she was not supposed to be present, her time to be with him was not for a long time, but ever since he had saved her as children, she had kept her secret vigil over him. Her keen kitsune senses had alerted her to the presence of the werewolves below and even though they were here enemies, she was forbidden to interfere with their plans. The two destinies all depended on the dark ones taking the first steps and she hoped that the elders were correct and that their intervention in twenty years would save his soul from the coming darkness. She would have liked to get closer to watch the execution, but that would result in her presence being known to others. Knelt here on the roof, she would have to contend herself with watching the events through her other senses.
Six days and seven nights I have been here. Six long days followed by seven even longer nights, have I sat here in this prison cell. When you know that your life is about to end, time seems to slow down to a crawl, minutes stretch into hours, hours turn into days and days, well, they feel like a whole lifetime. I haven't slept very well since they passed the guilty judgement on me, guilty of a crime I didn't commit, in a trial that was twisted against me, even Mr. Haggit felt the trial had been a setup but there was nothing any of us could do about it. My mind was switching through emotions faster than, I could count, one minute I felt remorse and regret, the next I was feeling anger and hatred. But now I was feeling sick. So sick that I had refused the last meal for fear of decorating the cell.
I hadn't been completely alone for the whole time. They had allowed me some visitors, both Shelly and Bobby had called by to help pass the time, but these visits had been few and far between. Mr. Haggit had also visited, to keep me updated on the appeal they were trying to raise, but with today being the scheduled date of my execution, time and hope had run out. On the second day I had been visited by the artisan warder who would be assembling and adjusting the scaffold for my hanging, I also had a visit from the undertaker who measured me up for my coffin, but I hadn't been left alone when the visitors left. Several times I had been pulled from the cell and made to join the other prisoners in what the warders called "compulsory yard exercises", exercises which were nothing more than walking in a circle around the yard for hours on end.
As if on cue the door to my cell opened and in walked the prisons Chaplin who stepped to one side of the door and started to read from his Bible. The executioner and artisan warder walked in carrying several strong leather straps and pinioned my arms to my sides and my wrists together behind my back. I took a deep breath and looked out the door to see the governor of the gaol stood against the far wall with the under sheriff on one side, the deputy governor and prison surgeon standing solemnly on his other, with a group of additional warders flanking them on both sides. As the executioner and warder went about their work, the Chaplin stood next to me muttering about God having mercy on my soul, but all I can think of as I stand here getting bound up, is that I hope God's wrath is unleashed against that Lycanthrope that started all this. I don't know if this was the point where I started to want to live, but I knew then that I wanted to get revenge and I started asking whatever deity existed to help me live and survive this. When the preparations were finished I was guided out of the cell and along the block to the corridor that led out to the yard to where the scaffold waited for its next resident.

The Young officer leading his soldiers looked up to the clear patch of sky around the prison then down at the face of the pocket watch in his hand. With a smile, he closed the watch and ordered the men to move forward. Unlike the soldiers he was leading, he wasn't a werewolf and could sense the presence of the kitsune above them. "I hope you're not here to interfere with the events today?" he asked over a mind link he forced on the watcher.
"That is not my purpose on this day, black soul." She spat back over the link. "If things are to follow the destiny foretold by the ancients, then no matter how I detest things, I must wait for you to make the first steps."
"I am honoured that your kind will not interfere, princess." replied, the charm and sarcasm easily detectable over the link. He closed his link to the watcher and approaching the prisons door, banged hard. "Let me in this instance, if you do not comply, you will be responsible for the murder of an innocent man." When no reply came, the young man whispered a spell that blew the door open, His men charged through, knocking over any man who tried to stop them and destroying any door closed to them.
As I waited in front of the last door that led outside, I began to feel scared that this truly was the end. I felt regret for the things I had not done and my mind raced through all the what-ifs, as if it was trying to find a way out of this one way trip. They were not the only emotions that ran through my mind, I was feeling angry and frustrated that I couldn't help myself and sorrow for my parents whose honour had been lost through their son being executed. The door opened and warm sunlight crept through, filling me with warmth as more of the light reached me. When the door had fully opened I was led out to the yard with my party, and the prisoners who were exercising stopped as we approached and parted to allow us through. As we advanced on the gallows, all but the executioner and the warder holding me lined up on the ground to watch as I was led up the stairs and placed on the spot marked on the trap door I would fall through. More straps were added to my ankles and around my knees and I was thankful because without them my knees would be shaking so much they would be bruised from knocking together. A white cloth bag was placed over my head and I felt the hang man's noose place around my neck and pulled tight. I listened to the footsteps of the executioner walking over to the leaver that would open the platform below me and heard several booms from deep inside the prison and a commotion from the direction of the door that I was led from. I heard the door burst open and what sounded like several armed men burst out carrying the prison warders with them.
"Let me through, you must stop this at once, the man that you are about to kill is innocent!" A voice was shouting across the yard.
There was a shuffle of feet on the platform before someone swore, I felt the platform disappear from beneath me as I fell to my death followed by a sharp pain in my neck as my falling was stopped. The rope jerked tight, forcing my wind pipe closed and I found myself unable to breathe. The ribs and bones in my arms that were still healing from the attack broke again and my mind was flooded with pain. I had promised myself that I wouldn't fight it, that I would let death come naturally, but something was wrong and my internal warning alarm that had proved so helpful during my studies was going off. I had been told that it would be quick and that the weight of my own body would snap my neck, but here I was still alive, flapping around like a fish on a line, gradually suffocating as the rope slowly tightened from my own body weight pulling down. I was starting to see stars from lack of air and I felt my consciousness closing in around me, the last thing I remembered before my world turned black was, "So this is what dying feels like."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »

First round of external editing nearly finished.
getting closer to publishing.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:49 pm »

Still no cover but you can read the full pre-bublish version on multiple devices.

http://www.ajb2k3.co.uk/THOJP/TheEnd.pdf
http://www.ajb2k3.co.uk/THOJP/TheEnd.mobi
http://www.ajb2k3.co.uk/THOJP/TheEnd.epub
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 08:46:58 pm »

Has anyone downloaded and started reading?
I am suffering from a lack of confidence here.  Embarrassed Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: