The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 05:22:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 47489 times)
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2014, 05:59:16 am »

'A thing of solace,' is a life-saver, truly, and very nicely stated.  Some thing to love. 

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2014, 06:45:25 pm »

Maybe this might help to engage your mind with other, more important, matters - how is your steampunk wardrobe?  Does it need a little attention maybe?
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2014, 11:09:03 pm »

My Dears,
If our Dragon Tamer's room had a Notice Board, I think this would be pinned there:
"Spunk. How to Lick Fear." If only! What a good 50 cents' worth. Note the term "he-man courage"!
But speaking of bulldogs, did you know that Winston Churchill was depressed, and referred to his dark moods as having "the black dog" on his back. Kipling called it "the Cameelious Hump, the hump that is black and blue" (http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_hump.htm).
Shall we have a special shelf for magical remedies in coloured bottles?
Yr. Affct. Gt.-Aunt,
Camellia
(And no, you may not make that joke.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:17:37 pm by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2014, 11:25:15 pm »

My Dears,
If our Dragon Tamer's room had a Notice Board, I think this would be pinned there:
"Spunk. How to Lick Fear." If only! What a good 50 cents' worth. Note the term "he-man courage"!
But speaking of bulldogs, did you know that Winston Churchill was depressed, and referred to his dark moods as having "the black dog" on his back. Kipling called it "the Cameelious Hump, the hump that is black and blue" (http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_hump.htm).
Shall we have a special shelf for magical remedies in coloured bottles?
Yr. Affct. Gt.-Aunt,
Camellia

Or you could try to find a professional fart smeller to diagnose you (  in China it actually pays about US$50,000 per year !! )

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2014, 11:31:03 pm »

Not at any price.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2014, 11:53:21 pm »

Frances has a good point about the wardrobe, perhaps.  If finances permit (and sometimes even when they really don't) women through history have cheered themselves with, say, a hat.  Nowadays there is no excuse for buying a hat.  I am struggling in my niche with the temptation offered by Mother's Ruin Millinery in the form of a purple top hat with a spotted black veil streaming down behind.  Outrageous!  Ridiculous! There is no riding habit, no horse, indeed no century to go with it.  Yet I feel it would be very cheering.  Some people are brightened up by a pair of red shoes or a brocade waistcoat. Or fortified by a corset with ribbon running through the lace at the edge.  I pinned a picture of such a corset the other day with a pair of frilly silk knickers because it bore the caption, "Why the hell not?"  Someone had found her steampunk wardrobe a source of encouragement.
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2014, 05:57:20 am »

Not at any price.

I don't blame you..
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2014, 06:03:40 am »

Frances has a good point about the wardrobe, perhaps.  If finances permit (and sometimes even when they really don't) women through history have cheered themselves with, say, a hat.  Nowadays there is no excuse for buying a hat.  I am struggling in my niche with the temptation offered by Mother's Ruin Millinery in the form of a purple top hat with a spotted black veil streaming down behind.  Outrageous!  Ridiculous! There is no riding habit, no horse, indeed no century to go with it.  Yet I feel it would be very cheering.  Some people are brightened up by a pair of red shoes or a brocade waistcoat. Or fortified by a corset with ribbon running through the lace at the edge.  I pinned a picture of such a corset the other day with a pair of frilly silk knickers because it bore the caption, "Why the hell not?"  Someone had found her steampunk wardrobe a source of encouragement.

I don't think a temporary rush or fix from buying something will do much, in fact if anything I think its bad because  it only leaves you wanting for more . I thought the point being made any way was to find something you could do not dependent on anything , " external " that empowered you in some way i.e.
hobby or sport....or even a belief / religion.

Encouraging lust or desire for anything is a very bad idea & dangerous imo..

Just my 2 cs

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:08:56 am by 4_0_4 » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2014, 10:11:27 am »

Buying things in itself is probably not a good solution, but being able to do something with things you buy might be. Creating things or making an effort to dress really nicely every day for instance.

I find that the difference in my life between being depressed and not is having hope that the future will contain something nice. Buying stuff or doing something fun to try and cure depression doesn't work for me, because it's a one time thing and then it's over.

Right now school is my distraction, I find that I'm a whole lot happier now that I've got a hard thing to focus on every day for some amount of time. (That, and the possibility of money in the future helps as well.) There's something about having to pull yourself together and perform on a schedule that seems to balance things out. I think the animal part of human nature requires challenge and some amount of strife to be truly happy.

Ah, I almost forgot. *sets a large pot of oatmeal on the counter, some toasted crumpets, and a tray of jams and jellies. Also, maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses, milk, cinnamon, and a small shaker of red pepper flakes for the oatmeal.*

*Takes a bowl of oatmeal with sugar, cinnamon, and red pepper, and offers the rest to the others*
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:15:21 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2014, 11:54:10 am »

Well, Doctor has put me on Prozac. Yay.
I hope this will stop me from feeling like I want to break up with my boyfriend and run off with the cute employee of the coffeehouse I'm currently sitting in.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »

Leave the young man alone!  Grin

It could take a while (2-6 weeks) before the prozac kicks in fully, so dont expect immediate results.

Glad to see you a bit more chipper today.

~SeVeN~

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2014, 12:26:02 pm »

"Spunk. How to Lick Fear."

Murrrrpppphhh! Hurbbbbbb! Waiter! Bring me a stout ball gag before I dutifully direct several verbal jabs at the innuendic elephant in the room!

Well, Doctor has put me on Prozac. Yay.
I hope this will stop me from feeling like I want to break up with my boyfriend and run off with the cute employee of the coffeehouse I'm currently sitting in.

Those kind of thoughts need to be tamed with drugs? News to me. I'll take lustful over apathetic any day.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:30:08 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2014, 12:29:19 pm »

Great, thanks to my parents and in particularly my dad's 'I know best about anything and everything!' attitude and the argument that followed the dispute I mentioned over on the 'Gaahhh' thread I'm now say in my bedroom trying to fight the urge to open up an artery and end it all.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:10:24 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2014, 12:35:17 pm »

It would be a shame sir, who would I spar with over on the 3 word thread? Heckler? He is very good but without you there it would quickly descend into filth never to return. You buoy things up with your monumental wit and firm grasp of the surreal.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:22:37 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

Buying things in itself is probably not a good solution, but being able to do something with things you buy might be. Creating things or making an effort to dress really nicely every day for instance.

I find that the difference in my life between being depressed and not is having hope that the future will contain something nice. Buying stuff or doing something fun to try and cure depression doesn't work for me, because it's a one time thing and then it's over.

Right now school is my distraction, I find that I'm a whole lot happier now that I've got a hard thing to focus on every day for some amount of time. (That, and the possibility of money in the future helps as well.) There's something about having to pull yourself together and perform on a schedule that seems to balance things out. I think the animal part of human nature requires challenge and some amount of strife to be truly happy.

Ah, I almost forgot. *sets a large pot of oatmeal on the counter, some toasted crumpets, and a tray of jams and jellies. Also, maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses, milk, cinnamon, and a small shaker of red pepper flakes for the oatmeal.*

*Takes a bowl of oatmeal with sugar, cinnamon, and red pepper, and offers the rest to the others*

Distractions are temp fixes too , " this " is distraction , an illusion at beat but at least in here its my illusion where I can transcend my crippled physical self.. it doesn't always work but mostly it does ..

And yes, I'm an optimist ( Aries ) and stubborn and not much of people or social person , so in some ways  its almost like I knew who I needed 2b in order to survive in here  by myself.

Catch to this and biggest fear is that I've experienced so many different types of suffering Im not sure it will ever disappear ...

And  even if it did then what else ?

The unkown is more scarier than anything else ..

But in the end death is best your best friend , nothing will make more your honest or put your heart in rights place till you know its the end and time is at stake...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:34:02 pm by 4_0_4 » Logged
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:50 pm »

It would be a shame sir, who who would I spar with over on the 3 word thread? Heckler? He is very good but without you there it would quickly descend into filth never to return. You buoy things up with your monumental wit and firm grasp of the surreal.

Thanks for those kind words, but as fun as the three word thread is I'm struggling to stay afloat since almost every single thing in my life seems like a monumental syssiphean task and I don't even have small victories to celebrate. The situation today itself has been an uphill struggle for the past year or so, and the attitudes of my parents don't help things I posted an epistle on the gahh thread last year about how it was progressing (or rather wasn't).

Really with everything that's happened in my life so far I feel like if there's anything in this karmic reincarnation I must have been an absolute sh*t in my previous life.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:41:15 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2014, 01:23:40 pm »

It would be a shame sir, who who would I spar with over on the 3 word thread? Heckler? He is very good but without you there it would quickly descend into filth never to return. You buoy things up with your monumental wit and firm grasp of the surreal.

Thanks for those kind words, but as fun as the threeword thread is I'm strugglingtostay afloat since almost every single thing in my life seems like a monumental syssiphean task and I don't even have small victories to celebrate. The situation today itself has been an uphill struggle for the past year or so, and the attitudes of my parents don't help things I posted an epistle on the gahh thread last year about how it was progressing (or rather wasn't).

Really sign everything that's happened in my life so far I feel like if there's anything in this karmix reincarnation I must have been an absolute sh*t in my previous life.

Well if you were , and believed that , your not going to solve things by killing yourself ( not unless you want an even worse life )

In the end , there all comes moment in our lives when we're all forced to change unwillingly into something else, but whether that's done through time or  consciously is quite something else..

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:43:07 pm by 4_0_4 » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:27 pm »

It is an interesting fact that those who can act comically tend to battle more with the melancholies.

It is difficult some times to see a way through the day to day slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. We trudge, it is what we do.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »

It is an interesting fact that those who can act comically tend to battle more with the melancholies.

It is difficult some times to see a way through the day to day slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. We trudge, it is what we do.

Well I think I've mentioned how art can be a catharsis and I suppose comedy is worthy of being considered a form of art as much as many other things are (and I suppose creating humour could be useful as a means of lifting a melancholy soul). I suppose what makes something like Pagliacci so resonant is the slippage of the mask, and how fragile it can be, but then again as Mr F Mercury sang....

Queen - 'The Show Must Go On' (Music Video)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »

It does not surprise me at all , because the more suffering you experience the more you can't afford to take things personally and fall into self pity - in fact its one of the reasons " spiritual followers " like fakirs go out of their way to experience it - intentional suffering..
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »

Ah, Freddy we miss him so.

There is an argument that states, this nature of living, humans are ill equipped for. This hyper society, tsunami of meaning and symbolism, the vectoring from trivial to serious with little or no escalation, the separation from nature. Put simply we are not built for modern living. No wonder we find ourselves coming up short when presented with lifestyles and lives that are beyond our ability to achieve (mainly because they are not real).

No wonder people are retreating into an idealistic yester year. Have you seen it out there? It's bloody lunacy.

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »

Ah, Freddy we miss him so.

There is an argument that states, this nature of living, humans are ill equipped for. This hyper society, tsunami of meaning and symbolism, the vectoring from trivial to serious with little or no escalation, the separation from nature. Put simply we are not built for modern living. No wonder we find ourselves coming up short when presented with lifestyles and lives that are beyond our ability to achieve (mainly because they are not real).

Well, that tells you something about the nature of reality , doesn't it ?

Furthermore it suggests that while not all of us created it , we were happy to go along with it 
when those who created it told us  it was for the best.

How stupid can we be ?

More stupid than you think
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2014, 05:37:34 pm »

Ah, yes! The inescapable and unchallengeable persuasion of progress. In all its plastic coated, eternally interfaced, better than you can ever hope to be, be in or miss out glory.

It's no wonder we're all inwardly turned neurotics, we're comparing ourselves to the impossible. It can only ever have one result: Failure. 
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:36 pm »

... It can only ever have one result: Failure. 

Nonsense.

The failures you talk about are perceptual illusions. They only happen when the actor in the circumstances is unaware of the potentials in the situation beyond a narrow band focussed intent.

I tend to think of it as the perfectionists burden. Because to get something perfect it must be an unending effort gradually approaching zero variance from the imagined ideal which is itself a moving target. In short the only way to get any kind of perfect is to define the perfection as a process to be persued indefinately.

Better to instead see things as collaboration. Your job is not to write a novel in one go, suited to print at the last key stroke, but to instead input your parts of the story, allow life and fate and others to input theirs, then respond to those inputs to meld the different parts together into a wider and interesting story. and when you close a chapter send it to the editor who will ask you chop it up and turn out a leaner and neater work for carrying the next part of the story.

San metaphor: You have to allow life and chance to have their say in your life. If you expect things to go exactly as planned by you, you will be miserable. Instead know what you want, aim for a best approximation, plan to get a realistic outcome, and have a backup acceptable option just in case. Then find a way to at least get a good story to tell at gatherings when it all goes pear shaped on occasion.

As an added bonus give it all to somebody else when you've gotten your use out of your ideal, because it's a given that somebody else with the same idea or dream will birth something completely different and it's often amazing to see what they look like.

So loosely define your expectations (but this still allows you to figure out your steps to get there) leaving room for improv and adaptation, and learn to love the lumpy ash trays that result, embrace the wabisabi ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi ).

and in the end it gets harder to find failure at all.

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:53 pm »

Ah, yes! The inescapable and unchallengeable persuasion of progress. In all its plastic coated, eternally interfaced, better than you can ever hope to be, be in or miss out glory.

It's no wonder we're all inwardly turned neurotics, we're comparing ourselves to the impossible. It can only ever have one result: Failure. 

Speak for yourself Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: