The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:14:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optical Gadgets For Beginners  (Read 1319 times)
Fracture
Swab

Canada Canada

« on: December 07, 2013, 06:48:51 pm »

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting into steampunk and the first thing I want to make for myself is a set of goggles with different levels of magnification and color filters. I am getting a 3D printer soon so I should be able to make most of the mechanical parts but I'm not sure where to get the lenses.

Do any of you have experience making optical gadgets? Knowing cheap places to get lenses would be helpful but I could really use any advice you have.

Thanks,
-Fracture
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:39:28 am »

Gels from the theater lighting offer a lot of decorative options. The gels are a bit easy to tear.
Many of us started by modding welding googles, the lenses are about the same size in military flashlights.
An other option is the cling films used to "tint" automotive glass.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:48:54 am »

If you have trouble finding them elsewhere, I made a set of red lenses for my goggles using clear plastic disposable picnic plates I found at the grocery (about $3). I traced out the size of circle I needed, then used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut it out, then lightly sanded down the rough edges. I'm sure they come in blue and yellow as well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:30:12 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:55 am »

When I was looking at welding and brazing goggles, I found that there are different tints available, and I would expect that replacement lenses would be available, too. Try your local plumbing and welding supply shops.

--
Keith
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »

Thrift shops, anything cheap with a lens in to be cannibalised.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: