The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2020, 08:37:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 - The Fourth Norfolk Dinosaur Hunt. Gwangi, A Trip to the Forbidden Valley  (Read 2969 times)
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 04, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »

2014 will mark the fourth Steampunk Visit to the Norfolk Dinosaur Adventure Park.

To avoid the risk of this event becoming a little bit "Samey", and because of the increasing interest in Steamwestern, Seampunk Weird Wild West. I am suggesting that the 2014 Grand Dinosaur Hunt takes its inspiration from the 1969 Dinosaurs Vs Cowboys Movie The Valley of Gwangi

Please bear in mind that this is the first thoughts of an attempt to bring some freshness to an event that gas been taking place for three years. Nothing is cast in stone, and all feedback is gratefully received.

BACKSTORY
Following the events of the film, T.J. Breckenridge's Circus and Wild West Show is faced with bankruptcy. In a last ditch attempt to save herself from financial collapse. T.J. has organized a "Safari" to return to the Forbidden Valley.
This adventure has attracted an eclectic mixture of Adventurers, Scientists and Thrill Seekers, along with Investors seeking to profit from the discovery of this lost world, and cowboys who have been recruited to provide support for this adventure.

THE GAME
If there is enough interest in the idea, I propose introducing a role-play element to the 2014 Grand Dinosaur Hunt.
I propose creating a number of "Character Classes", for example "Cowboys," "Hunters" "Investors" "Prehistoric Naturalists" and so fourth.
Whilst it will not be compulsory, I suggest that anybody who wishes to participate, takes on a role within one of these classes, and they will be given a "Mission" that they must try to complete during the "Dinosaur walk".
Again, I stress that at this stage this is only a suggestion, but I think that it will serve to add a bit of fun and interest to the proceedings.

I have a few other ideas that I shall post as they become better formulated in my mind.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas.

At this stage, the date of the event has not been fixed. I shall be contacting the park in the new year. When I have a fixed date, I shall create a facebook event as usual.
At this stage, I anticipate that the hunt will take place in Late April/Early May.

As a reference for those who have not attended previous Dinosaur Hunts,
Here are the Brass Goggles topics for...

The First Grand Dinosaur Hunt 2011

The Second Grand Dinosaur Hunt, - Return to the Plateau 2012
and
The Third Grand Dinosaur Hunt

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:52:54 pm by Mr Addams » Logged
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »

We've not been able to attend any of these yet - hopefully this time around we'll be able to make it  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:14:51 pm »

This sounds like an excellent idea. I have been hoping for a couple of years to be able to join this expedition. Perhaps this year I will be so fortunate.

"Let us return to the past; it will be progress." ~ Giuseppe Verdi

www.ziazan.co.uk
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:56:30 am »

You can count us in - any excuse for a new outfit........
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:20:59 am »

Apart from the group photo shown on the page for the 2013 hunt, are there any pictures anywhere from any of the other hunts?
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:03:30 pm »

Apart from the group photo shown on the page for the 2013 hunt, are there any pictures anywhere from any of the other hunts?

If you are a user of the book of face, there are a number of albums for this event to be seen, here are the ones that I found.

First Grand Dinosaur Hunt 2011
A Grand Dinosaur Hunt, 02 April 2011

Second, 2012
Return to the Plateau 2012
Steampunk Dinosaur Hunt
The Grand Dinosaur Hunt 2012
2nd Dinosaur Hunt - May 2012

Third 2013
Photos Helen tagged at The Third Grand Dinosaur Hunt (Carry on follow that Pachycephalosaurus.)
Return to the Plateau 2013 Dinosaur Hunting in Norfolk
Dinosaur Hunt 2013

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:56:26 am »

Thanks!
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:54:59 pm »

I have noticed that there are a number of Norfolk based Steampunks looking for events in their area, so I have changed the title of this thread to give an indication of the location.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:42:15 am »

I finally had the opportunity to look at pictures from the older hunts...I'm jealous! I love the fact that most of the area requires no photoshopping to make the shots look as though one were actually in the wild.

My two favorites are these, and I'd love permission to use them as screenshots, if I may:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/199510_1790914887450_3110217_n.jpg

and

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/922902_605744332769796_773775864_n.jpg

I look forward to the photos from the next hunt!
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:01:28 pm »

Any idea of the dates yet....?

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:43:26 pm »

I finally had the opportunity to look at pictures from the older hunts...I'm jealous! I love the fact that most of the area requires no photoshopping to make the shots look as though one were actually in the wild.

My two favorites are these, and I'd love permission to use them as screenshots, if I may:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/199510_1790914887450_3110217_n.jpg

and

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/922902_605744332769796_773775864_n.jpg

I look forward to the photos from the next hunt!

Those are marvellous images. It is a pleasure and a delightful surprise to see some residents of Norfolk so civilised!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 07:41:00 am »

I've stumbled upon a few items which followers of this thread may (or may not) find interesting:

An article on the Victorian's view of dinosaurs:
http://www.unmuseum.org/vdinos.htm

An informative (and humorous) video summarizing the Bone Wars and answers the question of the fate of the Brontosaur:
The Great Bone War (or Requiem for a Brontosaurus)

For my part, I am looking forward to photos from this year's hunt (and, being a Texan, I am especially fond of the Gwangi theme; hopefully the people in charge will allow one or more of you to toss a lasso around the neck of one of the beasts for some pictures).

Enjoy!
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 02:30:35 pm »

I can now confirm that the Fourth grand Dinosaur Hunt will be taking place on Saturday April 26th.
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 05:46:48 pm »

Here is a link to the facebook event.
https://www.facebook.com/events/458253567609267/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: