The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2018, 10:48:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events  (Read 48718 times)
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #1250 on: December 26, 2016, 10:57:38 pm »

Merry Christmas everyone!
Hopefully I'll see you all again on the 27th (fingers crossed!)
y

Sorry everyone, I can't come. Adam and Tara aren't going so I can't physically travel there as A. I don't know the trains (and some of them are apparently not running) and B. If I found out it would still literally mean setting out at the crack of dawn. Wish I could have made it but never mind. Hope everyone has fun!

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1251 on: December 28, 2016, 11:21:13 am »

So on the way back to Kidderminster this happened. 

https://youtu.be/QDJLDMpa2cE

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
AstorKaine
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #1252 on: December 28, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »

^ It's a wonder you're not hacking up great amounts of soot, my good man!

Lovely to see everyone again, and to meet some new faces! Glad I did decide to come, after a little bit of confusion as to whether I would be able to make it or not. One of my work colleagues happened to be in Bridgnorth whilst we there (he joined us for lunch and a walk afterwards); he and his wife thought everyone was great.

Lovely way to see out 2016, and here's to a bigger, and better 2017... Hope to see lots of you at Think Tank on the 21st. Smiley
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #1253 on: December 28, 2016, 04:31:20 pm »

GREAT TO SEE EVERYONE YESTERDAY AT BRIDGNORTH, HERE ARE THE TRAIN TRAVELLERS

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1023942971084829&set=a.1023942561084870.1073741826.100004074072057&type=3&theater

We were also joined by more folks who arrived by other methods of transport!

More to follow

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1254 on: December 28, 2016, 05:37:04 pm »

It does looks like a fine trip, and a very good turnout. We did think of you yesterday as we watched the trains go in and out of Swanage station.

Yours,
Miranda.
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #1255 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:26 pm »

GREAT TO SEE EVERYONE YESTERDAY AT BRIDGNORTH, HERE ARE THE TRAIN TRAVELLERS

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1023942971084829&set=a.1023942561084870.1073741826.100004074072057&type=3&theater

We were also joined by more folks who arrived by other methods of transport!

More to follow
                   Operation Shock and Awe 2
                                               https://youtu.be/WCUjBhiMJR4
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1256 on: December 30, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »

excellent work there sir

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #1257 on: January 01, 2017, 11:06:43 pm »

Link to the day out

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,48599.0.html
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1258 on: January 02, 2017, 09:40:38 pm »

Just to confirm - our planned trip to the Think Tank to see Mechanical Things has now been changed to the 21st January, and we will be eligible for group discount.

Also, I'm now not working on the 27th, so I may be able to make the SVR trip after all!

We should be along on the 21st, very much in 'civvies' though as my youngest will be wanting to head off to do the various activities (she does rather like the Think Tank interactive displays) but she does get a little self-conscious if we, shall we say, 'stand out' at something which isn't a special event such as Steampunks in Space.

Yours,
Miranda.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1259 on: January 02, 2017, 11:44:15 pm »

We should be along on the 21st, very much in 'civvies' though as my youngest will be wanting to head off to do the various activities (she does rather like the Think Tank interactive displays) but she does get a little self-conscious if we, shall we say, 'stand out' at something which isn't a special event such as Steampunks in Space.

Yours,
Miranda.

Excellent - will be great to see you all again, dressed up or otherwise (I'm contemplating a 'toned down' look, myself). Smiley

I don't think I've mentioned it, but the plan is to meet outside in Milennium Plaza (assuming it's not too cold, of course) for approx. 10.30, and we'll all go in at 11.00.

Looks like we're going to have quite a crowd. Smiley
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #1260 on: January 05, 2017, 01:10:57 am »

... I'm contemplating a 'toned down' look ...

does this require a new catagory?
  Streamlined Steam
or
  Steampunk Light
or
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1261 on: January 05, 2017, 05:00:50 pm »

... I'm contemplating a 'toned down' look ...

does this require a new catagory?
  Streamlined Steam
or
  Steampunk Light
or

I prefer 'Steampunk Lite'. I did the same when we went to Tamworth, albeit rather haphazardly. Aiming for something a little more dashing for the Thinktank. It may or may not involve a bowler hat... the Top-hat weary amongst you might be pleased about that...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1262 on: January 05, 2017, 06:52:47 pm »

The way I approach it can perhaps be best described as 'What Would An Edwardian Wear?'.  Which is why tophats and frockcoats of mine only get very rare outings.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1263 on: January 06, 2017, 01:03:27 am »

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and a great new year. Sorry I've made myself scarce, money has been a bit tight due to a trip I've just returned from.

Not to throw up any shameless self promotion or anything but I released a book over Christmas.....Some of you might like it Wink

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,48614.0.html
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1264 on: January 09, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »

What follows is a rough idea of the events we do in the area. If you would like to organise your own then please feel fre to add to this list.

If you do organise an event please take into account
*Public transport for those who don't drive.
*cost of entry.
*accessibility for those less able.
*parking.
*whether or not the event is hosting an event at the same place that will clash.
*Picnic facilities or tea rooms.
*whether or not the facility wants 20/30/40 people all dressed up in "strange" garb in their facility

If you do organise an event sometimes it is possible for you to have a free visit to get the lie of the land before the actual visit. If you don't ask you don't get.

January - Emmet Exhibition
February -  Charity Shop Crawl
March
April - Malvern Flea Market
May - Red By Night And Winterbourne House
June - Whightwick Manor and Stourport Picnic
July 
August - Botanical Garden
September - Haden Hill Picnic and House
October
November - Worcester and Steampunks in Space
December - Post christmas Jaunt
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1265 on: January 13, 2017, 10:13:36 am »

What follows is a rough ...

March
July 
October

don forget the Steampunk & Vintage Spectacular at Stourport on the 14th of May, I beleive you're running the Tea Duelling and I'm doing Teapot Racing and on that note theres a FB group for those who wish to enter the Teapot Racing (https://www.facebook.com/groups/941369049336560/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel) or you can just PM me on here. The rules can be found here: https://splendidteapotracing.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/teapot-racing-rules-2-1.pdf

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1266 on: January 16, 2017, 10:57:52 am »

What follows is a rough ...

March
July 
October

don forget the Steampunk & Vintage Spectacular at Stourport on the 14th of May, I beleive you're running the Tea Duelling and I'm doing Teapot Racing and on that note theres a FB group for those who wish to enter the Teapot Racing (https://www.facebook.com/groups/941369049336560/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel) or you can just PM me on here. The rules can be found here: https://splendidteapotracing.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/teapot-racing-rules-2-1.pdf
We.ve only listed the events we're organising, far too many others. I should wear my specs, I thought you said he was ruining the tea duelling.  Grin

Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1267 on: January 16, 2017, 11:13:16 am »

I should wear my specs, I thought you said he was ruining the tea duelling.  Grin

Well that remains to be seen, depends if he's organising it with gentlemanly conduct or some dastardly ninja theme.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1268 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »

Well that remains to be seen, depends if he's organising it with gentlemanly conduct or some dastardly ninja theme.

I'm ALWAYS gentlemanly Kiss
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1269 on: January 19, 2017, 05:07:52 pm »

Ok, folks -

Final Reminder regarding information for Saturday's visit to the Thinktank -

We'll be meeting outside in Millennium Plaza for around 10.30am, and once everyone is there we'll enter the Museum at 11.00.

Group Admission for Adults is £9, Children are £4.50 and Concessions are £6.

I've posted a lot more information on the Facebook Event, however I know that not everyone likes using that...

Mr. Harrison and myself will be walking with some others from New Street, so if anyone is coming by train and doesn't know where they're going, they're welcome to join us.

For our first event of the year, it's looking like it'll be a busy one - the confirmations I've had so far suggest that we're going to have at least 30 people, if not more...  Grin

Really looking forward to it now!
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1270 on: January 19, 2017, 06:30:14 pm »

Ok, folks -

Final Reminder regarding information for Saturday's visit to the Thinktank -

We'll be meeting outside in Millennium Plaza for around 10.30am, and once everyone is there we'll enter the Museum at 11.00.

Group Admission for Adults is £9, Children are £4.50 and Concessions are £6.

I've posted a lot more information on the Facebook Event, however I know that not everyone likes using that...

Mr. Harrison and myself will be walking with some others from New Street, so if anyone is coming by train and doesn't know where they're going, they're welcome to join us.

For our first event of the year, it's looking like it'll be a busy one - the confirmations I've had so far suggest that we're going to have at least 30 people, if not more...  Grin

Really looking forwrard to it now!

As per usual, I won't be along. Hope you all have fun (will be begrudging you all at work!)
Also would someone mind letting me know when the next pub meet is? My brain is gone kaput since the new year. XD
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Poet and amateur retrophrenologist

« Reply #1271 on: January 19, 2017, 08:36:08 pm »

I'm afraid I shan't be along - derby practice, plus I need to test out some wheels that have been loaned to me,to aid me in making a more informed buying decision when I go to buy some new ones. I hope you all have a lovely splendiferous time on Saturday!
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1272 on: January 20, 2017, 01:33:51 pm »

[/quote]

As per usual, I won't be along. Hope you all have fun (will be begrudging you all at work!)
Also would someone mind letting me know when the next pub meet is? My brain is gone kaput since the new year. XD
[/quote]
Next Wednesday, Ma Pardoes.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1273 on: January 22, 2017, 04:05:58 pm »

Well, I think we can mark down yesterday as a success!

Mechanical Things was truly excellent, made better by the fact that we got to sit in and climb all over Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Group photo incoming soon, I hope! I never imagined that they'd let us do that, but it seems that the staff loved us!

I've passed our thanks on to the staff at Thinktank, Birmingham Museums, and the Rowland Emett Society.

A great start to 2017!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1274 on: February 05, 2017, 12:48:31 pm »

There was some discussion last year of having a really posh picnic. In the BBC programme 'Further back in time for dinner' series over the last couple of weeks they've gone from 1900 through to 1919 and it's containing some nice ideas that could be used for the aforementioned event. I'm considering seeing if I can find the bits to make an Edwardian style chafing dish for serving up warmed food, although I think I'd draw the line at cooking, as was done in the programme, scrambled egg and sheep brains...

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: