The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 23, 2018, 10:23:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events  (Read 51212 times)
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1175 on: October 26, 2016, 05:16:01 pm »

Just a quick note to folks here that have given me their phone numbers in the past - I lost my phone on the train home last Thursday, and it has NOT been handed in. So any mesages or calls purporting to come from me since about 6pm on 20th October are not in fact from me.  I've just purchased another second-hand phone and will need to swap phone numbers again if you wish me to have your number.
Oh Dear. PM'd you.

AstorKaine
Officer

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #1176 on: October 27, 2016, 08:53:04 am »

Hello all,

Just a quick reminder regarding the trip to Coventry this coming Saturday, for those interested/free/able to get there -

Quote from: Myself
A visit to the Coventry Transport Museum, followed by a visit to the Old Cathedral, and if time allows, a visit to the Coventry Watch Museum Project. All of this shall, of course, be accompanied by copious amounts of tea, cake and, one hopes, all of the usual hijinks associated with a WMSA outing. There might just be some Charity shops along the way...

Meeting outside the Transport Museum for 10.30am...ish.

Coventry Transport Museum: [url=http://www.transport-museum.com/default.aspx]http://www.transport-museum.com/default.aspx
Coventry Watch Museum: ]http://www.coventrywatchmuseum.co.uk/]http://www.transport-museum.com/default.aspx
Coventry Watch Museum: http://www.coventrywatchmuseum.co.uk/

Entry to both is FREE!

Both sites are within the City Centre; which is well served by Car Parks (Bishop Street being closest to the Transport Museum), and both are about a 10-15 minute walk from the Train Station for those coming via public transport.

Information regarding parking can be found here:

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/directory_re…/11432/bishop_street <- Bishop Street is directly behind the museum.
http://www.coventry.gov.uk/directory_record/11430/cox_st - <- Cox Street is just a few minutes walk from the museum, and is just by the bus station.

Looks like we're going to have plenty of old and new faces coming along, so it should be a nice day out. There's no strict itinerary (it would be pointless, after all!), with the exception of making sure we can be at the Watch Museum for about 2ish to allow time to visit before it closes.

Mr. Harrison and myself will be departing from the train station at around 10ish to head to the museum, and then we shall see what the day brings. Smiley
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1177 on: October 29, 2016, 06:07:01 pm »

Had a great time at Coventry Transport Museum today (thanks again to all who came - I was overwhelmed that so many did!), even with our illustrious leader going on strike...

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1178 on: October 29, 2016, 06:52:48 pm »

It was a really good day.  Thank you for organising it all. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1179 on: October 29, 2016, 07:09:30 pm »

Great day and thanks for organising it

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1180 on: October 30, 2016, 12:07:45 pm »

Good to hear people had a fine day out - any more piccys to share?

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Was there any discussion as to which day the collective is discending on Steampunks in Space? On consideration, Sunday probably would be best for us to give time to make cakes and perform other such preparations, but if Saturday is the concensus we could fit in with that too.

Yours,
Miranda.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1181 on: October 30, 2016, 01:16:50 pm »

My pleasure, chaps, glad everyone had a good time. I've also e-mailed the Transport Museum to thank them for allowing us to have a wander round and contributing to a great day out.

I did, however, get a snotty message from the Watch Museum asking why we didn't visit them yesterday - it seems that they took my initial enquiries as a statement of intent, despite them not replying to any of my questions regarding access arrangements, etc. I wasn't exactly asking much, but when you've got a group as large as ours can sometimes get (I think we had 21 at our peak yesterday?), I thought it would be rude to just show up without having some form of reply.  Roll Eyes

Good to hear people had a fine day out - any more piccys to share?

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Was there any discussion as to which day the collective is discending on Steampunks in Space? On consideration, Sunday probably would be best for us to give time to make cakes and perform other such preparations, but if Saturday is the concensus we could fit in with that too.

Yours,
Miranda.

I'm rather terrible at taking pictures, but I think there were some taken by various members - I'll have a look through my phones and see if I can find any passable ones.

As far as Steampunks in Space, I'm hoping I can be there both days (although sadly, it's possible I might have to miss it entirely due to a bereavement).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:50:48 pm by AstorKaine » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1182 on: October 30, 2016, 06:54:43 pm »

I did, however, get a snotty message from the Watch Museum asking why we didn't visit them yesterday - it seems that they took my initial enquiries as a statement of intent, despite them not replying to any of my questions regarding access arrangements, etc. I wasn't exactly asking much, but when you've got a group as large as ours can sometimes get (I think we had 21 at our peak yesterday?), I thought it would be rude to just show up without having some form of reply.  Roll Eyes

That's disappointing.  We turn up en masse without calling ahead and can be criticised for it.  We call ahead and still get criticised- though had they got back to you about access and arrangements and suchlike we would of course have gone.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Poet and amateur retrophrenologist

« Reply #1183 on: October 30, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »

Indeed. Remember that visit to the coffin furnishings manufacturer? That was only a smallish place, so we had to be split into three groups (admittedly, there were rather more than twenty-odd of us that day), to make things manageable.  Perhaps if we visit Coventry again we should visit the watch place without warning? So as to avoid any awkwardness, seeing as they seem to have an odd notion of courteous behaviour?
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1184 on: October 31, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »

Sorry to intrude briefly with a non-event matter - might I ask one of you gentlefolk on Facebook to let Helena know that my phone number has changed, please? If she either PMs me here so I can give her my new number, or contacts either Kevin Cooper or Mercian Guy  or Steamblast Mary of this forum, they can pass on my phone number to her.  Thank you, and apologies again!

Esme x
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1185 on: November 01, 2016, 06:57:45 pm »

That's disappointing.  We turn up en masse without calling ahead and can be criticised for it.  We call ahead and still get criticised- though had they got back to you about access and arrangements and suchlike we would of course have gone.

Quite. They were alright after I explained the situation, and they did apologise for not getting back to me, but I'm still a bit taken aback by their impertinence.

Perhaps if we visit Coventry again we should visit the watch place without warning? So as to avoid any awkwardness, seeing as they seem to have an odd notion of courteous behaviour?

It's worth a try. Smiley

Anyway, I've had a reply back from the Transport Museum following my thanking them for contributing to a good day -

Quote from: Transport Museum
Hi Craig,

Thank you for your lovely comments I will be sure to pass these onto our staff at the team briefings. I was in fact wandering around on that particular day and saw how amazing you all looked.

We would obviously love to see you all in 2017, keep an eye out on the website for forthcoming new exhibitions.

Kind Regards,

Cheesy
pjscan
Deck Hand

Col Janus H. Appleson - Astronomer Rogue

« Reply #1186 on: November 03, 2016, 05:02:08 pm »

Hi all

I'm very new to steampunk, in fact the National Space Centre event this month is the first event I plan be going to. Just couldn't make Coventry Transport Museum to meet some of you fine people. Am I right in thinking many of those going to the NSC will be in steampunk attire? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm busy trying to put together an outfit that I hope will be steampunkish enough (getting a little help from a kind friend). I don't want to turn up and be the only one.

cheers all

Col Janus H. Appleson
(Astronomer Rogue)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1187 on: November 03, 2016, 07:26:35 pm »

Hi all

I'm very new to steampunk, in fact the National Space Centre event this month is the first event I plan be going to. Just couldn't make Coventry Transport Museum to meet some of you fine people. Am I right in thinking many of those going to the NSC will be in steampunk attire? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm busy trying to put together an outfit that I hope will be steampunkish enough (getting a little help from a kind friend). I don't want to turn up and be the only one.

cheers all

You have no need to worry - there will be many, many people there in splended Steampunk attire; it's a great opportunity to show off a new outfit.

Yours,
Miranda.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1188 on: November 03, 2016, 08:06:15 pm »

Hi all

cheers all

Welcome! You can be sure of a warm welcome! As Miranda says, there's going to be a lot of people dressed up, but don't be intimidated by the idea of whether your outfit is 'Steampunk' enough - as long as you like it, it doesn't matter. Since Leicester is so close, there's likely to be a lot of us from the West Midlands - I'll be there all day Saturday, and possibly Sunday, too - I'll be wandering about trying to recruit people for the Martian Expeditionary Force... Smiley
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1189 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:51 pm »

Indeed many will be at the space Centre in Steampunk outfits which will vary to an enormous degree. Most of us started with a waistcoat and suitable hat or whatever we could manage. Wear what you feel comfortable in, you'll be made welcome. I'll be manfully manning my stall for both days so I should get to see everyone for a change.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1190 on: November 03, 2016, 11:47:40 pm »

Martian Expeditionary Force? Ooh, ooh! Can I sign up for that please? I shan't be at Steampunks in SPace though. But I've a yen to see the geology of Noctis Labyrinthus and Hellas..
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1191 on: November 04, 2016, 04:58:04 pm »

- I'll be wandering about trying to recruit people for the Martian Expeditionary Force... Smiley

Mars you say, I think I have some maps about my person somewhere...

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."
pjscan
Deck Hand

Col Janus H. Appleson - Astronomer Rogue

« Reply #1192 on: November 04, 2016, 10:42:10 pm »

Hey all - thanks for the replies.

Will hopefully be there on the Saturday, so will keep an eye out - the Martian Expeditionary Force sounds like my cup-of-tea.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1193 on: November 05, 2016, 12:22:40 am »

[Mars you say, I think I have some maps about my person somewhere...
/quote]
Her Britannic Majesties Cake Cartographer
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #1194 on: November 05, 2016, 02:43:48 am »

I don't think I'm going to be able to make Steampunks in Space after all...again. comic con upcoming and no money, unless I miraculously pull something out of the hat I'll have to give it a miss.
I hope it all goes well anyway Smiley

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #1195 on: November 06, 2016, 02:25:35 am »

I just had a thought....

Is anybody here familiar with tabletop/role play games? I was getting all nostalgic about my vast game collection and I have a couple of really nice steampunk ones that might be fun to bring to one of our pub meets if anybody is interested? It might not be for a few weeks/months yet because I'd have to get an extra card deck and a new rulebook (im broke at the moment) but I should still be competent enough to teach the basics of a game. I just wanted to gauge interest before I start stockpiling supplies and whatnot xD

The game I was thinking of in particular was Malifaux (it's beautiful, you can Google it) I have enough figurines painted up for a couple of players and once you know the rules, its not a long game. To give you some idea: It's not a big wargame like you see in games workshop, you have about six characters per person and an objective. You can basically make it whatever you want, capture the objective, beat living hell out of each other, raise an army of undead prosti- YOU...get the picture. The game is played with cards, and each character has a unique skill set. The game changes every time you play it which makes it dead fun (pun completely intended).

Anyway, I'll quit my ramblings of how awesome it is there, but if anyone fancies it maybe in the new year, do let me know. I could bring it to pub meets or just organise a game night somewhere if that would be more practical. You're welcome to ask here or PM me if any questions. If you've never played a tabletop game in your life that's fine! I'm sure we can convert you Wink

I will leave on this link to the Malifaux website to entice you with how pretty it is: http://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux/

Love and Tea,
Madam T

Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1196 on: November 06, 2016, 07:08:16 am »

Closest to that that I've played is Munchkin, but I was also playing tabletop RPGs back in the early days of D&D and Traveller.

Sounds good, Imogen, I'm in!

PS: update re phones. To my astonishment, my old, presumed lost, 'phone turned up late yesterday evening, and how it managed to do so after I'd practically torn my flat apart multiple times looking for it (and it isnl;t a big flat) I have no idea. So I now have the numbers of folk whose numbers I;d thought I'd lost. WIll use that phone as a backup, as its battery doesnt last quite so well.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1197 on: November 06, 2016, 01:43:12 pm »

I just had a thought....

Is anybody here familiar with tabletop/role play games? I was getting all nostalgic about my vast game collection and I have a couple of really nice steampunk ones that might be fun to bring to one of our pub meets if anybody is interested? It might not be for a few weeks/months yet because I'd have to get an extra card deck and a new rulebook (im broke at the moment) but I should still be competent enough to teach the basics of a game. I just wanted to gauge interest before I start stockpiling supplies and whatnot xD

The game I was thinking of in particular was Malifaux (it's beautiful, you can Google it) I have enough figurines painted up for a couple of players and once you know the rules, its not a long game. To give you some idea: It's not a big wargame like you see in games workshop, you have about six characters per person and an objective. You can basically make it whatever you want, capture the objective, beat living hell out of each other, raise an army of undead prosti- YOU...get the picture. The game is played with cards, and each character has a unique skill set. The game changes every time you play it which makes it dead fun (pun completely intended).

Anyway, I'll quit my ramblings of how awesome it is there, but if anyone fancies it maybe in the new year, do let me know. I could bring it to pub meets or just organise a game night somewhere if that would be more practical. You're welcome to ask here or PM me if any questions. If you've never played a tabletop game in your life that's fine! I'm sure we can convert you Wink

I will leave on this link to the Malifaux website to entice you with how pretty it is: http://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux/

Love and Tea,
Madam T

If I'm ever brave enough to tackle the M6 one evening, I'd be up for it. I run a Gaming club in Nuneaton and we've played loads of board games and RPGs - we're actually playing the Malifaux RPG at the moment. It's terrific - I'm playing an illusionist/con artist - I once successfully convinced the Ten Thunders that our party was a group of travelling interior decorators interested in purchasing a large vase from them; only to find out that the person who'd hired us to recover it had in fact stolen it from the Thunders in the first place. And the artwork in the new decks is superb.

And we've recently become intimately familiar with undead prosti-you know whats. We've also recently been playing a board game called 'Letters from Whitechapel', where one of you is Jack the Ripper and the rest are H Division, trying to track him down before he strikes again. You may imagine my delight at them asking me to dress as the Ripper for a Halloween games session.
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1198 on: November 06, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »

I just had a thought....

The game I was thinking of in particular was Malifaux ...

Another fine skirmish Steampunk wargame is "In Her Majestys Name" from Osprey Games https://ospreypublishing.com/in-her-majesty-s-name, you set yourself up a gang based on various factions such as London bobbies, mystics from the East or the British Army and have at each other in varying scenarios. Its onto its third expansion now, the second one covering the Dark Continent and the third the Far East.
I ran a campaign a couple of years ago, publishing the October Gazette each month to keep all the players updated on the campaign.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a440k8d7mj5jn7x/The%20October%20Gazette%208th-Apr.pdf?dl=0

More info here: https://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/

I also have Malifaux 2e with the Ronin Outcasts gang though I havent ever played it or painted the figs yet.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1199 on: November 08, 2016, 12:00:30 am »

I tried yesterday to join up to Facebook so I could post comments to the West Midlands Stempunk Assembly page, but the thing is completely messed up for me. Yesterday it refused to allow me to conform my account via the sent e-mail, but it did allow me joint the group (thanks for approving me, Kevin) to post comments. Today though, it will not let me do anything, including delete the account, and the posts I put up yesterday have disappeared. I knew there was a good reason why I'd been avoiding it...

Anyway, I specifically wanted to offer help for the Stourport event being held next May. We could bring along some outfits for display as we did for the 'Nibble for Nepal' event, contribute to the teapot racing and we might even take a stall (Steampunk inspired cakes and jewelry as made by my daughter). Anyway, if anyone associated with that event reads this form, the offers are there!

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: