The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 15, 2018, 03:07:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events  (Read 58340 times)
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1150 on: September 25, 2016, 11:08:12 am »

Sigh... our car won't start. It's just a flat battery, but we've tried putting the charger on it and found it's refusing to hold a charge. So tomorrow, instead of a nice day at Tamworth Castle, we'll be having to purchase a new lead-acid accumulator. Sorry to cry off yet again. We hope everyone has a good time tomorrow; we'll be thinking of you.

Yours,
Miranda.
Bad luck. We did have a splendid time. Hope to see you soon.

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1151 on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:11 am »

Next Saturday !st of October we are gathering at The Mad As a Hatter tea shop for much tea and cake. We shall take a stroll around the charity shops afterwards if we haven't eaten too much.
It's in Bearwood. meet at approximately 11.00am.
http://www.madasahatteruk.com/
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #1152 on: September 25, 2016, 01:09:00 pm »

Next Saturday !st of October we are gathering at The Mad As a Hatter tea shop for much tea and cake. We shall take a stroll around the charity shops afterwards if we haven't eaten too much.

Once again I wish I didn't work on Saturdays :/

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1153 on: September 25, 2016, 04:00:39 pm »

Our youngest is quite keen on this - and we can travel by train and bus...  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
AstorKaine
Officer

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #1154 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:01 am »

Had a splendid time at Tamworth this weekend. Smiley

Regrettably I won't be able to make it over to Mad as a Hatter (which is a shame, really, as I LOVE tea parties!) as this coming Saturday marks the start of the new study year, so I shall instead have my head buried in some books! I fear renewing my studies means I won't be seeing anyone until Steampunks in Space now, but I suppose it will at least give me something to look forward to. Smiley
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1155 on: September 26, 2016, 08:08:17 pm »

I can't make it to Bearwood sadly, on account of needing to be in Shrewsbury to pick up a rather nice bespoke [REDACTED] which I shall of course be sharing with you all here just as soon as it is in my grubby hands.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1156 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:44 pm »

The WMSA are being Sent to Coventry! (If you want to come, that is).

I've recently been in touch with both the Coventry Transport and Watch Museums, and both have said that they'd be happy to welcome some splendid Steampunks. Smiley

From the Facebook Event:

Quote from: Myself
A visit to the Coventry Transport Museum, followed by a visit to the Old Cathedral, and if time allows, a visit to the Coventry Watch Museum Project. All of this shall, of course, be accompanied by copious amounts of tea, cake and, one hopes, all of the usual hijinks associated with a WMSA outing. There might just be some Charity shops along the way...

Meeting outside the Transport Museum for 10.30am...ish.

Coventry Transport Museum: http://www.transport-museum.com/default.aspx
Coventry Watch Museum: http://www.coventrywatchmuseum.co.uk/

Both sites are within the City Centre; which is well served by Car Parks (Bishop Street being closest to the Transport Museum), and both are about a 10-15 minute walk from the Train Station for those coming via public transport.

I know it's still a month away, and it may be a bit too far for some, but I'd love to welcome as many as possible to my stomping ground. Smiley

KR.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1157 on: September 27, 2016, 07:47:13 pm »

What date please

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1158 on: September 27, 2016, 07:58:24 pm »

What date please

Curses! I knew I'd forgotten SOMETHING important. Last weekend of October - Saturday 29th.

Humble apologies, oh fearless leader.  Wink
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1159 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25:45 pm »

What date please

Curses! I knew I'd forgotten SOMETHING important. Last weekend of October - Saturday 29th.

Humble apologies, oh fearless leader.  Wink

Looks like a nice day out (the transport museum is definitely a worthwhile few hours spent) but unfortunately for us we'll be engaged with Samhain celebrations on that weekend. Sorry!

Yours,
Miranda.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1160 on: September 30, 2016, 07:57:10 pm »

Don't forget, tea and cake at Mad as a Hatter in Bearwood tomorrow. 11.00am.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Poet and amateur retrophrenologist

« Reply #1161 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:10 am »

Have a lovely time all! Can't join you there today as I am a litte hors de combat, and my right knee won't allow much walking at the moment (Dr says there's nothing permanently bad happend, I've just been overdoing things and it needs a rest), but I very much hope to join you next time you go there!
Looking forward to seeing you all more at the meets over the next couple of months!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1162 on: October 01, 2016, 09:23:12 pm »

Have a lovely time all! Can't join you there today as I am a litte hors de combat, and my right knee won't allow much walking at the moment (Dr says there's nothing permanently bad happend, I've just been overdoing things and it needs a rest), but I very much hope to join you next time you go there!
Looking forward to seeing you all more at the meets over the next couple of months!

Hope to see you sometime in the near future - will you be along to Steampunks in Space?

Yours,
Miranda.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1163 on: October 02, 2016, 12:49:37 am »

How do we feel about an anti-Halloween?*
Well, not an anti Halloween in a literal sense, but something a bit more classy than the muggle Halloween parties. I'm thinking a steampunk get together where we do the night a bit of justice. I'm thinking cake (red velvet and death by chocolate of course), suspicious blends of tea, dracula references, fabulous outfits (come in all your finery, funeral wear optional) and banning of the phrases "are you dressed up for Halloween?" And "what did you come as?" (Ok, I'm joking about that last part. Mostly)

I havent thought as far as when and where yet...

*I love Halloween, but it makes me want to migrate to Whitby for the autumn. Tipton's attempt at Halloween would make Jack Skeleton lose the will to live....unlive? You know what I mean. It's not good.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1164 on: October 02, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »

Well, not an anti Halloween in a literal sense, but something a bit more classy than the muggle Halloween parties. I'm thinking a steampunk get together where we do the night a bit of justice. I'm thinking cake (red velvet and death by chocolate of course), suspicious blends of tea, dracula references, fabulous outfits (come in all your finery, funeral wear optional) and banning of the phrases "are you dressed up for Halloween?" And "what did you come as?" (Ok, I'm joking about that last part. Mostly)

*I love Halloween, but it makes me want to migrate to Whitby for the autumn. Tipton's attempt at Halloween would make Jack Skeleton lose the will to live....unlive? You know what I mean. It's not good.

Sounds wonderful - the only problem for us would be that we're already pretty booked up around Halloween. The evening of Saturday 29th we're at the BCLM Halloween evening*, and on Sunday 30th we're planning to go to Avoncroft Museum's event^. Monday 31st the children will want to go trick-or-treating; that could be earlier in the evening, but as that's the start of the new working week we wouldn't be able to stay too late at anything following. I suppose there's always the following days linked with the Day of the Dead tradition. Anyway, notwithstanding all of that the idea is definitely one to be explored. We also have a bottle of Transylvanian cordial waiting to be opened at a suitable occasion...

Yours,
Miranda.

*The evening at the BCLM is a pretty decent event - a lot of work is put into dressing up the buildings and I particularly enjoy seeing the creativity and effort put into the other visitors' costumes (I can erase from my perception those people whose sole effort is to plonk on a pound-shop witches hat). It's also at one of these events that I learned of what is undoubtedly the true identity of Jack The Ripper - William Henry Bury from Stourbridge.

^Again, a lot of effort is put into decorating the site and they set the atmosphere nicely by projecting classic films such as Nosferatu and Lon Chaney's The Phantom of the Opera onto some of the buildings. Groups move from building to building, and at each one there is a short scary, gory or just funny performance.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1165 on: October 02, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »

Sounds wonderful - the only problem for us would be that we're already pretty booked up around Halloween. The evening of Saturday 29th we're at the BCLM Halloween evening*, and on Sunday 30th we're planning to go to Avoncroft Museum's event^. Monday 31st the children will want to go trick-or-treating; that could be earlier in the evening, but as that's the start of the new working week we wouldn't be able to stay too late at anything following. I suppose there's always the following days linked with the Day of the Dead tradition. Anyway, notwithstanding all of that the idea is definitely one to be explored. We also have a bottle of Transylvanian cordial waiting to be opened at a suitable occasion...

Yours,
Miranda.

*The evening at the BCLM is a pretty decent event - a lot of work is put into dressing up the buildings and I particularly enjoy seeing the creativity and effort put into the other visitors' costumes (I can erase from my perception those people whose sole effort is to plonk on a pound-shop witches hat). It's also at one of these events that I learned of what is undoubtedly the true identity of Jack The Ripper - William Henry Bury from Stourbridge.

^Again, a lot of effort is put into decorating the site and they set the atmosphere nicely by projecting classic films such as Nosferatu and Lon Chaney's The Phantom of the Opera onto some of the buildings. Groups move from building to building, and at each one there is a short scary, gory or just funny performance.

Im glad to see someone is interested! I did anticipate that the main problem would be to fit in around other people's Halloween plans (undoubtedly I will also be expected to hold up the majority of the costuming efforts at work for the halloween charity day). It doesn't necessarily have to be ON Halloween (and I love the idea of linking it to day of the dead as well) but it would be nice to celebrate with fellow eccentrics.

Also thanks for bringing up BCLM, after hearing you sing it's praises I'm going to look at going. (If it's anything even close in brilliance to their Peaky Blinders event, I'm all for it) Im never sure of Halloween events but I think it's my snobbery as a costumer, I am also not wonderfully fond of the poundland and wilkos attempts at dressing up! Since I started volunteering at the museum though I've learned tickets go pretty quickly so I'll have to see...it would be a nice excuse to bring out my dracula themed assassin robes! Only problem is I'm on a budget due to saving for a trip to London soon so cost depending I suppose.

Anyway if anyone has any more suggestions on how to go about a Halloween event if interested then that would be awesome. It doesn't have to be anything super extravagant, I was thinking along the lines of what we did at Xmas with bringing along some food and entertaining ourselves (though hey, I'm not opposed to something bigger!)
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1166 on: October 02, 2016, 09:08:43 pm »

Oh, isn't it a pub meet Wednesday? We could brainstorm something then?
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1167 on: October 03, 2016, 07:35:32 pm »

Hello all!

Just in case it's of interest - my birthday is 10th December, and once again there is a Birmingham Blitz Dames home bout on my birthday. As it happens, the only day the Dames could get for a Xmas evening out together is the same day, so I'll be pretty much having a derby birthday altogether this year.

However - I overheard some of the girls saying it'd be great if we could encourage folk to dress up 1940's style when they attend our bouts, so if you've ever been curious as to what this roller derby lark I've been involved in is all about, please please please feel free to come along that day and help me celebrate my birthday  (no pressies - the pleasure of your copmpany is the best pressie of all!), dress as splendidly as you will (doesn't have to be 1940's, but great if you can), maybe even bring along the old-time songsheets from Severn Valley Railway, for a bit of a sing-song at half time?. I'll be in the audience for this one, and so able to help you learn the finer points of observing this Most Excellent and Healthy Sport for Ladies of an Athletic and Sporting Nature!

There's also a double-header (both our A team and B temas playing home games) on Oct 22tnd, but I'm 'working' that one as an official - still be lovely to see you if you feel so inclined though!

Space Centre trip - no, I am afraid I will not be attending that one ever, for purely personal reasons. I hope you all enjoy it though!

Halloween - I hope you all have fun, but it is for me the most special evening of the year for my faith, and I will be quietly observing Samhain at home as usual.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1168 on: October 03, 2016, 07:38:39 pm »

Oh, isn't it a pub meet Wednesday? We could brainstorm something then?
It is indeed, at The Lamp Tavern.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1169 on: October 03, 2016, 10:45:09 pm »

Also thanks for bringing up BCLM, after hearing you sing it's praises I'm going to look at going. (If it's anything even close in brilliance to their Peaky Blinders event, I'm all for it) Im never sure of Halloween events but I think it's my snobbery as a costumer, I am also not wonderfully fond of the poundland and wilkos attempts at dressing up! Since I started volunteering at the museum though I've learned tickets go pretty quickly so I'll have to see...it would be a nice excuse to bring out my dracula themed assassin robes! Only problem is I'm on a budget due to saving for a trip to London soon so cost depending I suppose.

Yes, the BCLM special events are pretty regularly selling out well in advance - didn't the Peaky Blinders one sell out two months or so before it happened? Their web-site says the Saturday Halloween is now sold out, but there are still tickets for Friday and Monday. Being rather paranoid, we've already bought tickets for their 'Christmas on the home front' evening, and that's not until the 3rd of December! which reminds me, I need to hit the charity shops to see if I can find a coat which will pass for '40s. Looks like adding yet another (faux) fur into the wardrobe  Roll Eyes.

Hello all!

Just in case it's of interest - my birthday is 10th December, and once again there is a Birmingham Blitz Dames home bout on my birthday. As it happens, the only day the Dames could get for a Xmas evening out together is the same day, so I'll be pretty much having a derby birthday altogether this year.

However - I overheard some of the girls saying it'd be great if we could encourage folk to dress up 1940's style when they attend our bouts, so if you've ever been curious as to what this roller derby lark I've been involved in is all about, please please please feel free to come along that day and help me celebrate my birthday  (no pressies - the pleasure of your copmpany is the best pressie of all!), dress as splendidly as you will (doesn't have to be 1940's, but great if you can), maybe even bring along the old-time songsheets from Severn Valley Railway, for a bit of a sing-song at half time?. I'll be in the audience for this one, and so able to help you learn the finer points of observing this Most Excellent and Healthy Sport for Ladies of an Athletic and Sporting Nature!

There's also a double-header (both our A team and B temas playing home games) on Oct 22tnd, but I'm 'working' that one as an official - still be lovely to see you if you feel so inclined though!

Space Centre trip - no, I am afraid I will not be attending that one ever, for purely personal reasons. I hope you all enjoy it though!

Halloween - I hope you all have fun, but it is for me the most special evening of the year for my faith, and I will be quietly observing Samhain at home as usual.

Happy birthday for the 10th! I'm afraid we would not be able to come along on that day, but another excuse to get out the 40s frock does sound rather appealing - maybe one of the meets in the new year?

Yours,
Miranda.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1170 on: October 04, 2016, 07:03:34 pm »

.. another excuse to get out the 40s frock does sound rather appealing - maybe one of the meets in the new year?

Yours,
Miranda.

Any Birmingham Blitz Dames game you can get to you'd be more than welcome, dear. By the by, the derby scene is just as alternative and welcoming to all as the Steampunk scene.  Check the BBD website for upcoming bout dates or ask me! Anyway, that's quite enough from me about non-Steampunk (but Steampunk friendly) sports events - looking forward to seeing some of you all again SOON!

Yours,

Esme
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1171 on: October 11, 2016, 08:20:06 pm »

Next Wednesdays meeting (19th October) is at Ma Pardoes in Netherton. It's "bring a gun week". Any gun, painted nerf, painted on canvas, scratch built, kit bashed, crocheted or knitted.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1172 on: October 11, 2016, 10:07:10 pm »

Next Wednesdays meeting (19th October) is at Ma Pardoes in Netherton. It's "bring a gun week". Any gun, painted nerf, painted on canvas, scratch built, kit bashed, crocheted or knitted.

Crochet gun. Sounds like a challenge.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1173 on: October 16, 2016, 08:27:32 pm »

Crochet gun. Sounds like a challenge.
Better get cracking only 3 days left.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1174 on: October 25, 2016, 01:06:03 pm »

Just a quick note to folks here that have given me their phone numbers in the past - I lost my phone on the train home last Thursday, and it has NOT been handed in. So any mesages or calls purporting to come from me since about 6pm on 20th October are not in fact from me.  I've just purchased another second-hand phone and will need to swap phone numbers again if you wish me to have your number.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: