The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 07:54:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: unimat lathe  (Read 1664 times)
1helios1
Officer
United States United States

« on: October 08, 2007, 07:56:39 pm »

recently a UNIMAT-3 has come into my possession. but i cant seem to get it to work correctly. when i bring the tool into cut, the chuck and its contents just stop spinning. im not experienced in using a lathe like this at all, and im wondering if anybody could help me.
tattoomike68
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:02:08 pm »

I would guess that you have a loose belt or a bad motor. they are a light duty lathe but you should be able to make a cut with it.

You might ask some of the old boys here who own one.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Derranged-Gadgeteer
Snr. Officer

Only going to live twice

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:07:45 pm »

I've never used one of these, but from what I've looked at online, It may be prudent to check your belt tension.  because if it's loose, the belt will slip as soon as the tool touches metal.

do you hear any noises when the chuck stops turning?  if you hear a squeak/screech noise, it may be a belt.  If you hear an electric humm/groan, you're exceeding the motor's torque output, and you should try backing off the tool slightly and coming back in with a lighter touch.

Now, if the chuck just stops before the tool is even touching the piece, you've got electrical gremlins the likes of which I can't fathom.

edit: what he said ^

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:08:02 pm »

i checked it and found i was the belt, thanks all
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 11:11:55 pm »

It might seem to be the belt, but I assure you it is a problem of a more irreparable nature.  I suggest you not waste your time trying to fix it or consulting other folks and give it directly to me.  Wink

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Major Francis Cleverly
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

It might seem to be the belt, but I assure you it is a problem of a more irreparable nature.  I suggest you not waste your time trying to fix it or consulting other folks and give it directly to me.  Wink

That almost made me spit water onto myself (from laughing so much).

Nothing.
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 03:17:22 am »

Jake, clearly you are suffering from aether inhilation, for it is customary for all lathe related transfers to be directed to those members with a "gunner" title.
Those over 1000 posts needn't be bothered with such trivialities...

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: