The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:20:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question of Sport  (Read 10580 times)
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 08:10:29 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sport

I know it's only a wikkipedia joint, and thus only a place to start, but under the History subcategory, a great portion of the origins of sport-shooting are smack-dab in the appropriate period...pretty cool!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:19:05 pm by Vagabond GentleMan » Logged

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 08:18:07 pm »

I know it's only a wikkipedia entry, but the History subheading contains quite a few factoids about the Victorian-era origins of competitive sport-shooting.

This, of course, doesn't take into consideration the various Wild-West sharpshooting competitions that persons of historical significance such as Annie Oakley indulged in...The American Experience documentary on said lady (which was very well done, imho) goes into it w a greater or lesser degree of detail.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 08:19:49 pm »

sorry for double-post...'Modify' malfunctioned for me... Sad
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 09:26:45 pm »

I know it's only a wikkipedia entry, but the History subheading contains quite a few factoids about the Victorian-era origins of competitive sport-shooting.

This, of course, doesn't take into consideration the various Wild-West sharpshooting competitions that persons of historical significance such as Annie Oakley indulged in...The American Experience documentary on said lady (which was very well done, imho) goes into it w a greater or lesser degree of detail.

I think that perhaps the reason is that it was during the 19th C that people were waking up to the idea of improve the standard of living in all forms, including the concept of health. 

If we do some research, about when would you say did people start longing for non-employment related physical activity as either a recreational pastime or a method for improving health?

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 11:38:16 pm »

I remember an old "English Country Houses" episode on PBS where they mentioned a piece of furniture called something like an "exerciser" or something similar that dated back to the late 1700s. A slightly odd-looking thing, it had chair arms 'way taller than anybody could sit in comfortably, and what seems a severely flat seat on an extremely sturdy box for support. The idea as explained by the owner/curator was that one would pull himself up on the too-tall arms and then down again, repeatedly. He also mentioned that the Lord or whatever who first owned it was very much into fitness. The facts that
1. someone made the chair (suggesting prior specifications)
2. The Lord was into fitness (or possibly ordered by a physician to try it)
3. The Lord knew about fitness and had some theory at work in his brain about it (regardless of from whence it originated)

Suggest, to my mind at least, that there was prior existence of concepts involving the idea of physical fitness having an effect on good health, or at least of a school of thought that physical exercise helped to maintain a good-looking physique. Thus, it would seem to me that the concept existed at the very least back to the late 17th century, and probably at least a bit before.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:44 am »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I revive this thread on account of the recent win of the Baseball [US] "World Series" by the Chicago Cubs. In spite of being branded as "permanent losers" and being hated by even a few Chicagoans themselves, the Cubs managed to pull a close win against the Cleveland Indians 8 to 7  Shocked  I just thought I should make a note of it  Grin

So what you say?

You see, as it's stated above, baseball is a Victorian Era sport. And the Chicago Cubs have not won a world series since the year 1908!!  Now, let me be clear, I'm not knowledgeable on sports in the least bit. Aside from a few racket sports in my teenage years and a little [socker] football a bit earlier, sports have never been my interest. But clearly the history of the Cubs falls within out Vicwardian domain, does it not?  Cheesy

11/2/16: Cubs win World Series with 10th-inning rally

As Neil Degrasse Tyson wrote on Twitter: "The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, the Periodic Table had only 85 Elements on it." There was no Uranium back then!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:30:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 01:25:07 pm »

See "GAH!!"

Australian Rules Football and Rugby League Football both had their origins in the Victorian Era, and would be acceptable Steampunk sports. I would like to see a few Steampunk teams, all decked out in their nifty long shorts and shirts!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: