The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 24, 2014, 12:34:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Nagy (Datamancer) RIP.  (Read 6656 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« on: November 25, 2013, 08:42:44 pm »

I didn't really know where to post this. I still can't quite believe it to be honest, but this is the very sad news as reported by Evelyn Kriete.

"Richard Nagy http://www.datamancer.net/. You know his art. You know him as Datamancer https://www.facebook.com/DatamancerLabs . You know his work if you know Steampunk. He created some of the most iconic sculptures within this artist movement. He was one of the first to do so and one of the best. Richard spent thousands of hours creating some of the most amazing art you have ever been privileged to see. He was completely self taught and he made things out of a love of classic lines and movement. Thanks to the Internet, millions of people from around the world have enjoyed witnessing the wonder of his art. It was featured on TV shows such as Warehouse 13, in books and in numerous art shows across the country and around the world. He worked tirelessly pretty much unpaid to create his work and make it where you could own his talent and use it in your house. You know his work and have most likely been inspired by it at some point or seen others who where inspired by it.

Richard Nagy passed away last week. He was young. He was amazing. He was talented. He leaves behind a lot of family and friends who cared about him. He leaves behind millions of people who his art touched.

What I want you to do is this: instead of leaving thousands of "I'm sorry" comments to this, I want you to do something productive. Something that will actually make a dent in the universe. Richard's death is not fair. He spent years and thousands of hours on his art and for all that work he never got his due. He was never properly rewarded for his hard work, his talent, and his incredible creativity. So I want you to make certain he and his art are not forgotten. I want you to go like his Facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/DatamancerLabs . Yes, it probably will not get any more updates, but at least you doing that will help spread him and his art around. If you ever wanted one of his keyboards, go and bid on one of the last auctions of his work still going on http://www.ebay.com/usr/datamancer. With a sudden death like this, every penny helps the family. I want you to try to make certain he and his art are not forgotten as that's the only thing we can do now. An artist's art are how they can stay immortal and the only way that can happen is we the living keep posting and perpetuating to others the knowledge of their talent and art. So do not let the world forget about Richard Nagy and his amazing sculptures. That is how you take back and preserve a little of what death has had stolen.

Also, if you have an artist, an author, or another kind of creative that you love, buy their stuff in the moment. Let them know you like their stuff,. Promote them. If something happens and they're gone, they will never know you liked their art and that is one of the greatest crimes of the universe. Don't let the world forget about Richard and his art. Never let the world forget about an artist. I'm not going to let you forget about him so do him the favor and pass that along his hard work and talent should have been rewarded more while he was with us. Do not let it fade away and be forgotten now that he has been taken from the world.

He was my friend and one of the most talented people I have been privileged to know and I am beyond mad that this has happened. Do not let him be forgotten, do not let his art fade. -Evelyn"

It was admiration of Datamancer's work that led me to discover the Steampunk subculture. I really have no more details at this time, but this is incredibly sad news. I realise Miss Kriete is not everyone's favourite person, but I feel she's made a suitably robust statement here.

Condolences to his family.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
J. Wilhelm
Immortal
United States United States

Tu sentire felix, punk? Perge, facere meum die

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »

I'm having a hard time taking this in.  I heard no indication anywhere of it.  Was this direct communication from Ms. Kriete?  He will be missed.  It was because of him that I got into making SP stuff.  In fact making PC's was my first thought, until later I found my niche.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:28:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Maets
Immortal

Rocket Man

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:51 pm »

Very sad.  My limited search abilities can find no mention of this anywhere else?Huh

J. Wilhelm
Immortal

Tu sentire felix, punk? Perge, facere meum die

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:47:26 pm »

Very sad.  My limited search abilities can find no mention of this anywhere else?Huh

Yesterday I saw a cryptic tweet from Mr. Von Slatt (@VonSlatt) with a wood engraving? of Mr. Nagy and Mr. VonSlatt at the 2008 Maker Faire.  Other than that a single mention today from Ms. Lee Ann Farruga (@CountessaLenora) , also on Twitter, but nothing else in the usual blogs.
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »

That was posted on the Steampunk Facebook page a couple of hours ago. It seems Evelyn is the first one to have properly spoken about it. As I say I know she's a controversial character at times, I do hope no fresh animosities arise as a result, purely because of the tragic nature of this news. It does seem like it was very sudden, quite how when and why I guess we'll have to wait to find out.
Siliconous Skumins
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:42:37 pm »

That is tragic news.  He was so talented, and way too young. 

Very sad news indeed.  Sad

SS

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:25:38 am »

I never met him, but I did have some of my work alongside his at the Oxford Museum of Science's Steampunk Exhibition, and was told of his passing by our mutual friend, Art Donovan.

It seems that it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time: a car accident in California.

Such a waste, such a talent, and, as I'm sure many others will attest, a genuinely unique take on what Steampunk can be.

My condolences to his family and friends, I just hope he knew how many lives he touched with his art.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.

Cry

DreamHazard
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:47:38 am »

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.

Oh Herr Döktor, you put it so much better than I could. I remember that his were some of the first works I saw when starting out in steampunk, and I'd put good money on the fact that I'm not the only one. May his work guide and inspire others into the far future.

Gustaf Danielsson
Officer

Troll Hunter and Arctic Explorer

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:03:51 am »

It's very sad news indeed. Though I didn't know him, his work was definitely among my early inspirations. He raised the game of what it meant to be a steampunk maker.

Siliconous Skumins
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:33:04 am »

It seems that it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time: a car accident in California.

What a waste. So many lives changed in an instant. Cry

I never met him, but at least I did interact with him occasionally here on the forum. I hoped some day to be able to afford to get him to do a custom keyboard. Not to be...  Sad

I hope at his funeral there is something suitably Steampunk in nature present, it would be a shame not to mark his influence in Steampunk at such an event.

SS
The_Haberdash
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 01:35:01 am »

Damn.
maduncle
Rogue Ætherlord
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:43 am »

I never had the honour of meeting Richard personally, but we did converse a couple of times and I too was exhibiting alongside his amazing work in the Oxford museum show in 2009.

My oldest friend Chris Garrett here in Australia introduced me to steampunk by sending me a photo of one of the now famous 'Datamancer' keyboards. One look at this work and I was inspired to join the steampunk community. My first large creation - a working computer - was built to match a Datamancer keyboard.

I hope Richard's family manage through this tragic event, and I hope that the steampunk community finds a way to recognise and honour one of it's kings.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Admiral

Edwardian summer

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 03:58:21 am »

He was the 'Warehouse 13' artificer whose admirable creations led me and so many other people to Brass Goggles and the knowledge of the existence of the Steampunk movement; for that I am grateful.  This is a shock and a tragedy.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Xenos
Immortal
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:35 am »

I have no words to express my feelings, really. 

This man...  He is the man responsible for my finding Steampunk, my finding all of you.  He introduced me to a family that accepts me for who I am, despite my (many) shortcomings.  While my correspondence with him was limited, he was one of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of interacting with.

I honestly don't know what to say.  My deepest condolences to his family and friends (goes without saying), but I'm honestly at a loss for words.

This man changed my life, enriched it in so many ways (both with art, and through introducing me to all of you).

It's truly unfair.

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
maduncle
Rogue Ætherlord
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:04:48 am »

Well said Xenos.
CPT_J_Percell
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:47 am »

To me, part of his legacy is that every time WH13 is shown or re-shown the world will see his work.

He really did set a high bar for the rest of the world to reach when he created his works.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven foot tall warewolf or a seven foot great wolf!
Trust me, you don't want to meet any version of me.

http://purbry.wordpress.com
Lady Chrystal
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:45 am »

It is always a tragedy to lose someone so young or to lose someone so talented.

To lose both is almost unimaginable.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Michael Farley
Snr. Officer

mgfarley
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 10:18:46 am »

It's a terrible shame to lose such a talented young man.

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Admiral

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 11:35:57 am »

I am shocked and truly saddened. He was indeed hugely inspirational to  thousands.

Major Willoughby Chase
Zeppelin Overlord

Awesomologist

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 11:38:08 am »

It's a great loss to the Global Steampunk Community, my thoughts are with his friends and family.  He provided a great deal of inspiration for me when I started making, as while I knew I'd never be able to afford any of his creations, they were a beauty to look at and a bar to aim for. Truly a great loss.

Like the forum, why not support us?  For just $3/month you can help keep this forum running there are no special benefits at all, just a warm glow in your heart.
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 11:39:52 am »

It was Datamancers work that first opened my eyes in wonder at the world of Steampunk. it was his work that enthralled me and showed me how beautiful Steampunk art could be.

The Steampunk movement has lost one of its finest artists, he will be sadly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this very sad time.

Grum   Cry

Chuzzlewit
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 11:45:42 am »

Horrible thing. Apart from his artistic gifts I always found him to be very kind to his fans.

"`Suppose, after all, it all ends in your butterflies and morlocks. THAT DOESN'T MATTER NOW. The effort's real. It's worth going on with. It's worth it. It's worth it, even so.' . . .
Prof. George of Chaos
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

A very great loss.

The possibilities each day holds are infinite, mindboggling. The right person, with the right idea, at the right place, the right time, can change history. There are no more excuses.

It's all up to you.
IGetPwnedOften
Zeppelin Overlord

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:10 pm »

I must confess I've never really heard of the man, but having lost a brother and several close friends in similar circumstances over the years, this kind of hits home.

Coincidentally, I've just started a Netflix subscription and been watching Warehouse 13, so it will have a new poignancy for me now.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 02:59:29 pm »

It was Datamancers work that first opened my eyes in wonder at the world of Steampunk. it was his work that enthralled me and showed me how beautiful Steampunk art could be.

The Steampunk movement has lost one of its finest artists, he will be sadly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this very sad time.

Grum   Cry

I can only echo Grum's comment. It was Datamancer's work that I first came across when I Googled 'steampunk' back in the day. The man had an amazing talent and the Steampunk scene internationally has lost one of it's creative geniuses.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: