The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 03:33:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i make.....  (Read 3460 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:49 am »

Remember, adding rivets to just about anything makes it steamier. Smiley

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 06:07:14 am »

Now I want to make a brass parrot, as if I don't have enough projects already  Tongue

MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:24:19 am »

lol IKR! I'm already loaded with holiday projects but theres just so much i wanna do. Hence this is when i need Octo arms!
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »

My daughter (who is three) came face to face with that parrot at this year's Asylum and was utterly smitten with it - she said she likes it better than our African Grey because it doesn't bite or poop on people  Grin

The trouble is, now I'm tempted to make one just because she was so entranced with the original, but I really must get cracking on The Secret Projectâ„¢ or it'll never get finished.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »

my youngest is three as well and loves robots. My older daughter is seven and loves books. Lol
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:21 pm »

time to make a robot book.

MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:56 pm »

one that turns its own pages with a night light. Smiley
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age

At the age of four, Nell receives a stolen copy of an interactive book, Young Lady's Illustrated Primer: a Propædeutic Enchiridion in which is told the tale of Princess Nell and her various friends, kin, associates, &c.,[6] originally intended for an aristocrat's child in the Neo-Victorian New Atlantis phyle. The story follows Nell's development under the tutelage of the Primer, and to a lesser degree, the lives of Elizabeth and Fiona, girls who receive similar books. The Primer is intended to steer its reader intellectually toward a more interesting life, as defined by "Equity Lord" Alexander Chung-Sik Finkle-McGraw,[7] and growing up to be an effective member of society. The most important quality to achieving an "interesting life" is deemed to be a subversive attitude towards the status quo. The Primer is designed to react to its owners' environment and teach them what they need to know to survive and develop.
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 05:47:14 am »

i agree. My book lover is so advanced shes being skipped 2 grades. Shes in kindergarten but reads at almost a high school level. For Christmas she wants books. So, Ima get her Thoreau, Steinbeck, Shakespear and some American Poets books and just observe her intellectual progress.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:26 am »

looky what I found at a local store. http://www.findnsave.com/offer/Wild-Republic-Build-Wind-Up-Triceratop/31209272/

punch out card pieces that snap together around a little wind up module to make walking windup critters. once you build one you can see the principle of it and come up with designs for other configurations you can make out of card stock or embossing foils.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:43 pm »

A 2 legged 'walking' robot is tricky, so wheels in the feet is a better option, look for 'clockwork motors'.... or even adapt an egg timer (not the sand type) lol. I think Maplins and some model suppliers (Tamilya) do 'gearboxes' which allow you to make something that runs at a suitable speed.

My 'dancing girls' automaton is taking about 5 times as long to make as I thought, so don't give up on your first attempt. I live a few miles from the man who built the James Bond Autogyro...and as he says...'if you don't make mistakes you'll never make anything.

dex drako
Snr. Officer

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »

if you want to make one yourself you should look into strand beasts, they look more complex then they really arebut at the end you get a walking robot with no gears.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 10:19:36 am »

Wu Yulu robots

So, first, become a chinese farmer...

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »

Great video.  Some nice designs.

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:37:27 pm »

While not wishing to hijack the thread, I mentioned my daughter was smitten with the parrot created by our own Herr Doktor at Lincoln this year.

I decided to make a facsimile of the bird as a Christmas present for her. Obviously I couldn't make such a sterling job of it that Ian did, having neither the time nor the talent, but it's a close enough approximation for a three year old.

The one I bought didn't come with a stand, so I had to fabricate a replacement from copper pipe.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »

I bet she is thrilled, or will be when she gets it.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 09:49:31 am »

Well I hope you're proud of you're all proupd of yourselves. I saw your parrot photo's and immediately purchased one of my own off Ebay. Should be here in a few days, then let the plucking and skinning commence!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:55 am »

I think there's now some smaller pre-skinned parrots on the market too. Several of those converted, in an ornate cage.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: