The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:35:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer for The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box.  (Read 1528 times)
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: October 30, 2013, 06:15:37 pm »

http://youtu.be/oW8pxkUpXIU

Looks like a steampunk adventure film, starring some well-known names like Lena Headey, Sam Neill, Ioan Gruffudd, and Michael Sheen.

Haven't made up my mind about the plot, but the costuming and production design look right up our alley. Smiley
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:10 am »

Looks like this film had no real theatrical release. So, here's a different trailer for it:
Мэрайа Мунди и шкатулка Мидаса / The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box - TRAILER

You can also watch it online legally for a small fee at:
The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box

I'm a little astonished that there isn't more chatter about this film, considering that it definitely steampunk, has an impressive cast and seems to be generally well-made.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:41:45 am »

Having enjoyed the book (admittedly it's been MANY years since I read it, I'll have to remember to dig it out and re read it before I see the film), and most of the other stuff by the same author I can only say YAY!!!

However, judging by the trailer it may fail to live up to expectations (I have found almost every adaptation of a book to fail to meet the standards set by the original source material) since it seems to stray away from the actual book, but still looks like it may have potential.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:29:03 am »

Watched this on putlocker the other day, and although the plot isn't great I would recommend viewing.

Some very steamy elements and good production IMO.

~SeVeN~

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:34:43 am »

Apparently this has been out long enough for it to have a rating on Rotten Tomatoes (although by a number of people less than you have fingers). Other than online, has anyone seen this available on DVD? Or, for that matter, in the theater?

Based on the two trailers I've seen, this should not be just a "direct-to-DVD" remainder. Anyone have any more current information regarding its release status?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:00:01 am »

UPDATE:

This film IS available on DVD or Blu-Ray; I found it on the shelf at my local Walmart. (Now, I'm not pimping for them, but if they've got it, surely you can get it from somewhere you find less objectionable. If they are not objectionable, you can order it online from them and have it delivered to your nearest Walmart, or their website will tell you if they have it in stock already.) $10 for the DVD version, before tax. Price is the only difference between the two formats, as both contain the same version and exactly the same bonus feature.

On a related note, they also have The Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (with all the same caveats and explanations as before). In this case, the Director's Cut is available, but only in a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack. Otherwise, it appears to have the same bonus features as the "normal" cut.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:12:33 pm by GCCC » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:25:03 pm »

Having watched the film, I would like to hear from others who have...

...Does it seem to you that there are bits missing from this film? Things that were snipped here and there that made you go "...Whuh...?"

For an example or two of what I'm talking about, check under the spoiler tag below. And, if you haven't seen this movie, by "spoiler", I mean "SPOILERS!" So, if you peek, it's all on you...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Either there's a director's cut somewhere demanding release, or there was some very shoddy screenwriting (which in turn wasn't caught by the director or the producer or the actors...). Any opinions on what happened?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »

Having watched the film, I would like to hear from others who have...

...Does it seem to you that there are bits missing from this film? Things that were snipped here and there that made you go "...Whuh...?"

For an example or two of what I'm talking about, check under the spoiler tag below. And, if you haven't seen this movie, by "spoiler", I mean "SPOILERS!" So, if you peek, it's all on you...

Either there's a director's cut somewhere demanding release, or there was some very shoddy screenwriting (which in turn wasn't caught by the director or the producer or the actors...). Any opinions on what happened?

Well as I said above I have read the book the film is based on, and although I haven't seen the film I feel I may be able to offer up an explanation if the film remains faithful to the book, speaking of which, here's the (UK) amazon link for it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mariah-Mundi-The-Midas-Box/dp/0571238351/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=045YRWPG09GMDHQSB10A

*SERIOUS SPOILERS AHEAD*
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:52:34 pm »

Interesting.

It sounds as though the book and the film have significant differences. I'll be obtaining the book in the near future (but not for a couple of paydays). I'll check back in once I have it, and give a best guess as to when I'll have finished reading it. Perhaps if you've had a chance to watch the film by then (and I do recommend it; it was quite enjoyable), we can meet back here and compare notes?

'Til then, cheers!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 04:27:59 pm »

Bump as just seen this film on TV

Just watched this on tv (Feb 2017), Magic and steampunk with a dash of scifi.
This film was different but also a great watch!

The artwork website has been found at http://www.plantman.org/mariah.html

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Anita Reyes
Deck Hand
Mexico Mexico

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:06 pm »

It seems that never will be a second part of this film sadly Undecided

"Guerra guerra en el monte en el valle, los cañones horrisonos truenen y sus ecos sonoros resuenen con las voces de unión, libertad!"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 07:14:32 pm »

Bump as just seen this film on TV

Just watched this on tv (Feb 2017), Magic and steampunk with a dash of scifi.
This film was different but also a great watch!

The artwork website has been found at http://www.plantman.org/mariah.html

Was this on a Freeview channel? it sounds fun.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:14 pm »

I saw this on Netflix (in the USA) a few months ago--- just checked, and it's still streaming there.

This was cute.. a little cheesy, and definitely aimed at kids -- but with some great visuals, and dramatic enough to be enjoyable for adults. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: