The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:07:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terry Pratchett 'Raising Steam'  (Read 3505 times)
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« on: October 18, 2013, 10:33:12 pm »

I'm looking forward to this!  Does anyone know more about it?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:41:48 pm »

Not really, and I doubt anyone else will since the great Sir Terry Prattchett in my experience tends to play his hand quite close to his chest. But, looking at the cover art it looks like the plot is centered around the arrival of Steam power on the Dicsworld, so it will probably see the series becoming more steampunk if nothing else.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:50:50 pm »

To my knowledge the Discworld gets its first steam train.... Similar Moist story unfolds?
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Professor Phineas Brownsm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »

im looking forward to this!!!!!

Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium
Orndorff
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:34:21 pm »

im looking forward to this!!!!!

As am I.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »

Is this another part of the long earth series?

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:44:24 pm »

Nope, this is back to Discworld Smiley
~Longeye~
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:10:34 pm »

I am hoping for a return of Urn - the Ephebian in 'Small Gods' who built the steam powered boat and the attack tortoise.

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »

I want the Witches to put in an appearance.  I am sure they are related to some of my maternal ancestors.  Sir Terry usually has his own unique slant on some social change, though, so the Age of Steam coming to Discworld would be interesting as well as deeply funny as always.
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »

Oh, sound Interesting! I love pretchett books Cheesy

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 07:54:47 am »

I want the Witches to put in an appearance.  I am sure they are related to some of my maternal ancestors.  Sir Terry usually has his own unique slant on some social change, though, so the Age of Steam coming to Discworld would be interesting as well as deeply funny as always.

Granny Weatherwax reminds of one of my maternal aunts. She kept people thinking she'd died, but always kept popping up at just the wrong (right?) moment. Sadly, she is no longer able to do so, bless her. *eyes the telephone warily* You never know, though...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

Many years ago I went to one of Sir Terry's talks, and I quote:

"Most women would like to be thought of as Granny Weatherwax, would settle for Nanny Ogg but secretly worry they are Magrat Garlick."

Which made the all men laugh and all the women look mildly guilty Smiley

I've just read "Dodger" (first time I could read anything not revision based in a long time) and had a wonderful time, I'm looking forward to getting 'Raising Steam' for Christmas if I have dropped enough unsubtle hints.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 07:00:18 pm »

I finished Raising Steam a week or so ago.  There is real direct spoiler information behind the tags, but you may want to read the novel first and form your own opinion before reading mine..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »

Many years ago I went to one of Sir Terry's talks, and I quote:

"Most women would like to be thought of as Granny Weatherwax, would settle for Nanny Ogg but secretly worry they are Magrat Garlic"]

That is so true!  I see that the witches do not appear in 'Raising Steam,' which is disappointing, though they may have a cameo; I have not got it yet.  Narrative was never the strong point for me, but character and dialogue and witty asides from Sir Terry.  I dread to see his illness taking its toll.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 03:46:10 am »

Odd to see the sequence of events... Bloke makes a steam-age OO9 layout set in Angst-Lesspork, featured in British model railway magazine; guy writes in to magazine next issue saying he doesn't think the world suits a steam railway. Sir Terry agrees. Letter writer starts work on layout using diesels imported from Earth.

A railway is built on the disc in canon- and is steam-operated.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 04:56:09 am »

The book is out.

This book continues the trend of Lord Vetenari cleaning up Ankh-Morpork, and starting on the rest of the world. Moist von Lipwig, on orders from Vetenari, ends up running the railway.

It's a reasonably good read. I'd rate it above "Hogfather" but below "Going Postal". (Both of which, incidentally, are available as quite good Sky Channel productions.)
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 05:34:01 pm »

It was great...not heavily Steampunk, but could be read that way, with Pratchett's good humor,
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »

I bought it in hardback in a charity shop for about £3 recently an almost unheard of occurence locally, perhaps that should have told me something. It also contained the Waterstones bookmark for Raising Steam just a few pages in. Another omen maybe. It was a novel certainly but I would hardly call it a Discworld novel just because that's where it's set. I'm not entirely sure why I bothered to finish it. The story is hardly gripping. It doesn't have the humour I would expect nor the Pratchett twist on reality.
I've read most of the Discworl novels and frequently re-read my favourites. I'm very sad to say this was very disapointing.

George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »

I've read most of the Discworl novels and frequently re-read my favourites. I'm very sad to say this was very disapointing.

I agree with you, it's by far the weakest of Pratchett's novels to date.  Although Vimes isn't central to the story, the cardboard cut-out treatment he gets when he does appear kind of sums up the problems with the writing.  I think Terry bit off more than he could chew with this one, the scale of the potential story didn't fit with the word count limit.  The compromises required to get from the start to the end before he ran out of paper meant that depth of story and quality of writing were sacrificed.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »

I checked it out from the library, I liked it well enough, but Terry Pratchett's 'voice' has changed in his stories. I know that pretty soon there will be no more from him, so I'm just thankful for the last few novels that he has written.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 10:40:47 pm »

I understand the criticism some people are leveling at the work, since it is hardly his best, however, (speaking as an amateur writer, and knowing how difficult it is to maintain quality over the course of writing one novel) I would challenge those detractors to write 40 novels  in the same universe whilst maintaining the same quality (let's not forget J.K. Rowling only *just* managed to do it with 4 novels) throughout those said novels (of course I understand not every work can be a classic, and the Discworld novels have become increasingly hit and miss over recent years, Monstrous Regiment, Making Money and Unseen Academicals being cases in point). This is particularly noteworty since they have been produced at the rate of at least 1 novel every 2 years. And given that the number of 'non-Discworld' works he has published in the last 20 years can be counted on one hand; The Long Earth saga (two collaborative novels with a third due to be published this year), Nation, and Dodger (with both of the latter showing his impressive skills as a writer despite his deteriorating health) I'd say he deserves some leniency and I would suggest the blame for the reduction in quality lies more in the demands of his publisher than they do in the abilities of the man himself.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:46 am »

Odd you pick those three examples, I really enjoyed Monstrous Regiment and Making Money.  Pratchett has been very consistence over the years, and Raising Steam is one of very few exceptions in my opinion - but I think there's been an expectation to write a Discworld railway novel for sometime, and the nature of the story requires that the plot extends over a far longer period of narrative time than a Discworld novel usually occupies, and that just sucks the punch and spontaneity out of his style.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 09:28:54 am »

Odd you pick those three examples, I really enjoyed Monstrous Regiment and Making Money.  Pratchett has been very consistence over the years, and Raising Steam is one of very few exceptions in my opinion - but I think there's been an expectation to write a Discworld railway novel for sometime, and the nature of the story requires that the plot extends over a far longer period of narrative time than a Discworld novel usually occupies, and that just sucks the punch and spontaneity out of his style.

Well, I did enjoy Monstrous Regiment, but found it lacked a certain something (I think a similar thing happened with Raising Steam, he had an idea for a novel and then shoehorned it into the Discworld and it seems like recurring characters turn up just to show where it is), the same with Making money. I just found them to be of slightly poorer quality than the books that preceded and followed them.
bsjohnson
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:18 am »

Odd to see the sequence of events... Bloke makes a steam-age OO9 layout set in Angst-Lesspork, featured in British model railway magazine;

Hi! I am that "Bloke"...
(Managed to register on this forum after a few days frustration...)

I'll try to add a link to my sig.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 11:46:12 am »

This is the first Pratchett I've not been able to finish. It just didn't engage me at all.

Kindest regards, Raven

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: