The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 02:47:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colt 1851 based prop (ish)  (Read 10261 times)
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2014, 01:15:54 pm »

File it away for possible future use.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:53 am »

My time on this has dwindled late due to my book and I use this to help when I write myself into a corner.

Why does that remind me of the final scene in the movie The Naked Lunch?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2014, 11:47:49 am »

My time on this has dwindled late due to my book and I use this to help when I write myself into a corner.

Good sir, I am not acquainted with that particular moving picture.
Still working on the brass work but have the secondary puzzle of how to power the tubes heater elements.
I'm thinking of using a 7.2 rc battery pack connected using fabric wrapped cable and have already purchased some for the more direct wiring.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2015, 11:04:22 am »

Printing out the colt walker as a base and thought I'd share my work bench.

1) Psychopass Dominator core - Built as a base so I can work out the scale needed to build one with over 70 leds!
2, My first colt made from acrylic.
3, Colt walker 3d Print (close to 8 hours of printing so far)
4, Denix colt (brought)

The Colt Walker is longer then the 1851.
I have made a second print of the barrel but this time removed the barrel section its self resulting in a shorty but drilled so that a 9" octagonal barrel can be pushed in.

Edited: Typo spotted by Will Howard!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:06:25 am by CPT_J_Percell » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2015, 07:39:48 pm »

If this were a scene from Naked Lunch, the pistol would metamorphose into a centipede and Peter Weller and Judy Davis would have sex with it.

Maybe someone will be inspired to build a prop pistol that can do that.
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2015, 01:27:34 am »

If this were a scene from Naked Lunch, the pistol would metamorphose into a centipede and Peter Weller and Judy Davis would have sex with it.

Maybe someone will be inspired to build a prop pistol that can do that.

I was thinking specifically of the end scene where Weller & Davis are in the snow bus and are stopped by Annexian border guard Sean McCann. Weller tells McCann he's a writer; McCann hands Weller a pen and demands that he write something; Weller turns around and shoots Davis in the head; and McCann tells him, "Welcome to Annexia," and waves him on.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 02:56:06 am »

If I recall correctly, what the guard asks is for Weller to do something that a writer would do.
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2015, 03:16:51 am »

Could be. Long time since I've seen it. Point is, when you've written yourself into a corner...
breakinglight11
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2015, 04:42:20 pm »

I have that same Colt 1851 Navy Revolver prop! I'm very happy with it. It doesn't have the most robust trigger action, but it's beautiful and has satisfying heft in the hand.

I bought it to be used as a prop in my upcoming steampunk superhero play, Mrs. Hawking, at the Watch City Steampunk Festivalthis May. It's definitely an upgrade from what we used the first time we performed.

The art design of a production is an important means to establish a show's feel and personality. Mrs. Hawking is a steampunk superhero play, so we want that slick, high-action, slightly stylized feel from all our artistic choices. Those range from big things, like what the set looks like and how the actors move and speak, to small things, what individual props we choose to use.

I wasn't totally happy with the gun we used in our first production. It was your basic cowboy-style six-shooter toy that I gave a coat of paint to make it look a little more realistic. So for this one I did a lit more research and purchased one that I thought would make a little more of an impact, and looked a lot more steampunk.

It has an unusually long barrel, in addition to the cool scrollwork design in the brass finish. It definitely doesn't look like an ordinary gun in a strictly realistic Victorian story. In that way it's similar to another weapon prop we use, the Bowie knife that serves as the utility blade Mrs. Hawking was left by the Colonel. In person, the knife seems almost absurdly huge. But interestingly, while on the stage, it seems exactly the right size.

In theater, the action exists at a remove from the audience, who is sitting many feet away from everything that happens. There's no benefit of a camera lens that can pull in close and show you details if necessary. That means that things often have to be a little bit bigger, a little bit more broadly drawn, in order for them to read to the audience. Touches that are bigger, more ornate, more exaggerated have a better chance of getting the message across.

That, I find, is a great way for us to utilize the steampunk aesthetic. It isn't only for adding character and texture to our play. Because hallmarks of steampunk include more ornateness and exaggeration, it also helps broadcast ideas and meanings to the audience across the distance.
Robert E. Lee
Gunner

Gentleman Adventurer

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2015, 06:55:02 pm »

Pyramydair recently started selling Colt Army single action revolvers in both blued and nickel versions.  They are bb guns that come with individual shells.  You probably wouldn't want to put the co2 cartridges in for play but they look real enough.  I'll replace the handles with wood when I get one.  It's not as pretty as the 1851 but it will work.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_Single_Action_Army_CO2_Revolver_Blued/3569

Hobbytron offers a fairly cheese airsoft revolver shaped pistol that could be the basis of a decent costume piece.  Cheap in every since of the word but reasonably sturdy.  With enough modification, you could have a nice piece.

http://www.hobbytron.com/SpringRedLineFireArmsBlackRevolverAirsoftGun.html
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2015, 05:34:07 am »

I have made a second print of the barrel but this time removed the barrel section its self resulting in a shorty but drilled so that a 9" hex barrel can be pushed in.

(Barrel should be octagonal, not hexagonal.)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2015, 08:04:58 am »

I have made a second print of the barrel but this time removed the barrel section its self resulting in a shorty but drilled so that a 9" hex barrel can be pushed in.

(Barrel should be octagonal, not hexagonal.)
Thanks, for pointing out the typo, I keep getting oct and hex muddled.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »

Just discovered a brass based filament and the idea's
http://colorfabb.com/brassfill
Iron man helmet printed in copper and bronze
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: