The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 03:02:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Interior Decoration [ in your home & castle]  (Read 7983 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 04:32:20 pm »

Here's a couple of shots of the office ceiling.  Had to take it with the lights on since its 11pm here in Washington.

I am absolutely jealous of your presentation ceiling panels and cour scheme. It lends itself to your accessorising

Edited to ask :is that a fabulous  pink ceiling  or just a fortunate reflection from the walls ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:37:13 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »

I'll be following this thread, I like what you're showing Tongue I have nothing to contribute, since I don't have a home of myself and my mom won't let me decide wht the house looks like. my room is less steampunk than I'd like too, but I have great plans if I ever get myself a students home. (aka a room)...if ever.

Your mum just has no sense of adventure  Wink

Keep those ideas and one day soon you can give full expression to them
Enkidu
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 01:16:10 am »

Here's a couple of shots of the office ceiling.  Had to take it with the lights on since its 11pm here in Washington.

I am absolutely jealous of your presentation ceiling panels and cour scheme. It lends itself to your accessorising

Edited to ask :is that a fabulous  pink ceiling  or just a fortunate reflection from the walls ?

Ha, the pink ceiling is just a reflection of the bright red walls.  The ceiling just a sort of cream color.  I wanted to go with a more realistic tin color but it was just going to make the room too dark.  I've heard that unless you have 9ft or higher ceilings you shouldn't do true tin tiles.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 03:09:03 am »

What would be the issue with the tin tiles at less than 9foot of height? This doesn't seem to make sense.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Enkidu
Deck Hand

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 06:49:54 am »

The darker color makes the ceiling seem lower, and also makes the whole room darker.  Its just a perception thing, and if you put a darker ceiling in a room that doesn't have a high ceiling then it makes the room feel very "cave-like".
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 05:19:23 am »

So it's not a 'tin' thing, it's a color thing.....totally different. Completely.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »

Walmart has a bunch of really neat decorative string lights right now, including this lovely deisel/industrial design.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Enkidu
Deck Hand

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 06:45:46 pm »

So it's not a 'tin' thing, it's a color thing.....totally different. Completely.
Yup.  Not a structural thing or anything.  You can put tin tiles in a root cellar if you want - if you are into the look its all good.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2016, 06:49:51 am »

I've got a 10 foot stud

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 11:11:32 am »

I've got a 10 foot stud

Dear Annie, that could be interpreted in so many ways  Roll Eyes

I think you mean you have a 10 ft. beam in the house

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 11:50:30 am »

And so she would be beaming...   

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 12:56:05 pm »

Grin Grin

I am fortunate to own my house, but there isn't a lot you can do with a late 1960s weatherboard bungalow!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 07:12:59 pm »

Grin Grin

I am fortunate to own my house, but there isn't a lot you can do with a late 1960s weatherboard bungalow!

Let your imagination at ion run wild

It didn't stop our parents generation having  Gothic and faux colonial furniture
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 11:17:24 pm »

True enough, Annie, but to do a 'proper job' one needs the wherewithal, currently earmarked for other projects. However, one will leave the idea to simmer away on the back top shelf of my mind, and see what happens!
Serrac
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2016, 11:42:10 pm »

I have started by ripping out an open fire and replacing it with a wood stove - Building regs require a non-combustible hearth and surround, so am going for an industrial/SP theme. Thinking heavy iron sheets with big rivets in style utilising some distressed sheet steel and coach bolts knocked in to the wall to simulate rivets.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:05 am »

One would have thought an open fire much more in keeping, but perhaps not the right thing for your house. There was a (bottled) gas wall heater in mine when I moved in. It's still there, but the gas is no longer connected and the heater has a china cabinet and table in front of it. I put in a wood burner.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2016, 12:35:07 am »

Mmmm.. You could take a later era approach.

While at the Victoria and Albert Museum back near Christmas (got to love the late Friday night opening times) during a rare foray to Blighty I had the pleasure of reaquanting myself with the rather spiffy 'Scandal Relief' by one of my all time favourite artists, Charles Sargeant Jagger.

One of the more interesting things about that sculpture (apart from the story behind it) regards the fireplace and culture at the time, first, the fireplace as shown in situ in 1931.

To quote The Esoteric Curiosa's peice on the sculpture and it's story...
The ‘coals’ seen burning merrily in the 1931 Country Life photograph are in fact an artificial imitation with a flickering light powered electrically. The fire basket was never intended to burn coal or wood, as an inspection of its current condition will testify. Clearly, an imitation fire was considered the height of sophistication in 1930 because it indicated that your house was centrally heated, for which you had to be rich.

So, embrace the 1930s attitude and accept suitably attractive electrical fireplaces as being a perfectly fine way of demonstrating your wealth and central heating.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:52 am »

There are excellent faux  fireplaces and electric heating  options.  As with other feature and appliance

Don't worry too much about authenticity.  Steampunk is not an exact science .
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »

Is polished Venetian Plaster considered steampunk ?
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2016, 10:22:53 pm »

Have you a pic?
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2016, 01:51:55 am »

If you want more, do a search for "Venetian Plaster" or "Stucco Veneziano".
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2016, 12:49:37 pm »

Received and set up my new stereo yesterday - very retro Vicwardian, and my first 'steampunk' piece!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2016, 05:00:46 pm »

Received and set up my new stereo yesterday - very retro Vicwardian, and my first 'steampunk' piece!

A Vicwardian  styled stereo sounds interesting.   
The design of appliances adds to the nuance of a room
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »

If you want more, do a search for "Venetian Plaster" or "Stucco Veneziano".

There is strong potential  there for  a steampunk  or dieselpunk  interior styling.

Imagine a plinth and statue ,  interbellum style  AV equipment and leather lounge set. A cocktail cabinet  or buffet of a sympathetic design .

It could look quite grand
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: