The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:50:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Interior Decoration [ in your home & castle]  (Read 8072 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:24 am »

This was a derelict Spanish factory.  Now it is a beautiful home.  A castle, really. 

What a beautiful  transformation.  Mind , the  factory  design looks fairly stylish to work with . Beauty and function
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 11:38:52 pm »

A few pictures of the ever evolving interior of the Birdnest.  We're thinking of repainting the living area and building new lighting fixtures fairly soon.  Yea ... it's a process.  Wink

Onward ho!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 12:35:59 am »

Mr Birdsnest there is a fine framework   to your home.  Slowly but surely,  a work of art in progress- and what a canvas for it

frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 06:48:59 pm »

That maroon colour on the wall between the two windows is rather striking.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 09:15:49 pm »

I agree.  Hunter green would be good, too, but the maroon is warm and rich-looking.  The whole place is wonderful.  You are very lucky and creative!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:27 pm »

I also agree. Dare I say Christmas is not far and the Maroon will make your home feel cosy and will also compliment the Christmas tree and trimmings. Whilst I'm on the subject can I suggest a string of Garlands hanging from the balustrade when the time comes.

Count Felix Alexavia Von Fixler
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 07:01:58 am »

Thank you all  Cheesy   

The burgundy color is quite rich, and we're quite fond of it ... but it does have the nasty side effect of absorbing all light.  There's still so much further to go ... the other end of the room has a gable that begs for some fine touches. I'd like to add a stained glass over-window, a bit of tin ceiling material, more mood lighting.  I'm thinking that some up lights tucked beside the beams will be a needed addition - as well as another excuse for a project!  I'll likely wait until the dark days of winter to go scrounging in junk and hardware stores for parts (perhaps a plumbing store or two).  Looking at the picture, we've added a few things to the living area (I think the photo is a few years old).  And, yes ... we usually have twinkle lights on the balustrade, but too many bulbs died and it was beginning to look ... well ... tacky.  We've been adding studio lights here and there for effect.  The ultimate addition will be an elevated train that goes around the Gathering Room (steam of course).  Perhaps a kinetic sculpture somewhere. 

Oh bother, it may never be done  Undecided   Wink

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 07:21:45 am »

The up lights will look really good with the beams.  I have seem some kind of small full-spectrum bulbs that have an almost prismatic effect and make the wood glow from movable round sockets behind a beam.  Hope you have a very long ladder!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 06:45:28 am »

Here is  2  interior shots of my  humble abode.   It is more in the Antipodean Revival  style, Occidental   or Tiki Moderne  mode  maybe,  than true steampunk  for the purist's pleasure .

The residence in question is  of the  war era workman's cottage or shot gun shack  school of architectural design.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 02:47:21 pm »

Lovely; the space looks very tranquil.

Yours,
Miranda.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 03:48:46 pm »

Fantastic birdcage!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »

Lovely; the space looks very tranquil.

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you  Miss Miranda

Visitors and friends often comment on finding  the colour on the walls being very  relaxing.  It is a soft lilac  that bore the  evocative name "Dreamweaver" . It was meant to be a dusky vintage pink but came out quite a lovely shade of pale purple on the walls.  I have it all through the house  apart from one bedroom . 
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 04:47:13 pm »

Fantastic birdcage!

yes it is an unusual Yin Yang style   and used to hold  a cockateil.
Enkidu
Deck Hand

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 06:10:22 am »

I noticed this is a bit of a zombie thread but I'm dying to discuss the topic of steampunk decor so I'm happy to chime in!.  I've been working on my office for the last several months, which I had decided would be in a steampunk theme.  I just finished (mostly) a combination ceiling trim / lighting fixture.  Its basically pipes that extend from the central light in the ceiling around the outside of the room at the ceiling, with several "drops" where more bulbs are placed around the room.  The pipes are held in place with decorative brackets every couple of feet.  I still want to extend the pipes down to the wall switch, and to a sort of "reservoir" piece that might give the illusion that the pipes are doing more than just providing a conduit for electrical cords.

Looking forward to hearing some more ideas of what people are doing to decorate their living spaces!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 07:08:37 am »

That sounds like an interesting variation on a faux retro fit.

I am imagining almost an industrial alien kraken  that is like a live  electrical fitting.
Enkidu
Deck Hand

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 07:22:31 am »

Well when I had the original idea I thought it would be very kraken-esque.  When it came down to doing it, I found that four bulbs was more than enough light for the room - especially once I figured out that each bulb "drop" cost me ~$40 in parts (iron pipe fittings, electrical, vintage bulb). Smiley

I'd post a pic but I don't have an image host at the moment - its been years since I needed one, somehow.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 07:47:32 am »

ould LED strip lighting work for the effect?
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 07:58:47 am »

I rent, and the place is a right heap of junk (note my Schizo Tech power supply), so currently I'm limited to collecting objects and placing them around. My container stacks will quite badly spoil any decorating attempts, and most of my decorating recently has been nothing more than, for the Nth time, taking a broom and knocking down some of the larger pieces of paint peeling from the ceiling. Still, I got these items at Virgils':

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:04 am »

This is only a small example , could smaller bulbs and a combo of other lighting be used.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 08:03:02 am »

I rent, and the place is a right heap of junk (note my Schizo Tech power supply), so currently I'm limited to collecting objects and placing them around. My container stacks will quite badly spoil any decorating attempts, and most of my decorating recently has been nothing more than, for the Nth time, taking a broom and knocking down some of the larger pieces of paint peeling from the ceiling. Still, I got these items at Virgils':

Those items have extra potential.  let your wild imagination be your only limit

[ quite a few owned homes have the same damp / paint issues]
Enkidu
Deck Hand

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 08:20:56 am »

Here's a couple of shots of the office ceiling.  Had to take it with the lights on since its 11pm here in Washington.

Enkidu
Deck Hand

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 08:27:48 am »

I thought of branching multiple lights directly from the center, which looks very cool and octopus-like, but thought I would kill two birds with one stone by branching from the outside of the room inwards - that way I could use the pipe along the top of the walls and relieve myself of the daunting task of putting up crown moulding.  Smiley
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 01:33:06 pm »

At the moment I have what I call a mix of slightly modern and antique, a bit of a mish-mash.

Alot of taxidermy, brass, copper, wood and trinkets.

I've posted a few pictures as and when I do something..........I'm getting there slowly.

Enkidu.... Like the lighting very much, and of course Welcome aboard the good ship BG!

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:48 am »

I'll be following this thread, I like what you're showing Tongue I have nothing to contribute, since I don't have a home of myself and my mom won't let me decide wht the house looks like. my room is less steampunk than I'd like too, but I have great plans if I ever get myself a students home. (aka a room)...if ever.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 03:38:26 pm »

This is only a small example , could smaller bulbs and a combo of other lighting be used.

Ooh, I like those. They'd make great suckers on a monstrous bioluminescent kraken.

Still waiting to move into my new place and I'm not convinced I'll be able to do much with it Steampunk style wise, the place is staggeringly 80s (much faded 80s at that) and as we're renting there's no chance of changing it.

The only hope is the basement which reminds me of a Bavarian themed bar. We'll see what can be done.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: