The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:47:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L200 Foam, Wonder flex, and heroic(of cosplay) materials  (Read 14395 times)
hardlec
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Solutions do not need Problems

« on: August 31, 2013, 04:46:32 am »

Watching Hero's of Cosplay and Face off I become jealous of the access to materials. 
Wonderflex seems to be a sheet of friendly plastic. it looks like it is easy to use, but very pricy. I have not found a retailer and I don't like to buy over the internet when I have no idea what I'm buying.

L200 seems to be a generic name for Darice(r) Foamie (r).  I have had some experience with this, but I have never tried to heat it to shape it. That seems worth an experiment or two risking a couple bucks worth of material. bigger sheets and thicker material could be very useful, if I can shape the material.

I have never been able to cut foam precisely, I think it might make safe prop blades, but I can't bevel it.

I have seen tutorials where the foam is embossed by using a ballpoint pen.  My embossing disappears by the next morning.

If there are people out there who have used L200, I would like your feedback.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:16:51 pm »

Look into http://www.tri-dee.com/sintra_plastic_pvc.htm also

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »

Nice site, but the shipping is more expensive than the product for a sheet or two.  I did email them and ask for retail outlet.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:10:00 pm »

Nice site, but the shipping is more expensive than the product for a sheet or two.  I did email them and ask for retail outlet.

That was not a suggestion of where to get it. More of a 'This material is available' kinda thing.

The domed cap on this jetpack was formed from a flat sheet with a normal  nothing special heatgun.
I got lucky and I have some small scrap pieces. Try local plastic suppliers and ask about buying scraps...
or even if they will point you towards their customers that buy it from them.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35228.0.html
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »

Ah, the issue of availability.  I live in a university town with no art supply store, almost no crafts....
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:50:58 pm »

Look at what industry applications the material has and get creative.
Check eBay, etsy, amazon, and such.
Shipping sheet goods is expensive. For me shipping on 5 sheets of ABS is only a few bucks more than shipping one.  Shipping Half sheets are about 30% less than full sheets.
If you can find a local source or find a supplier willing to sell smaller quantities or cut the material for you.
Manufactures and industrial suppliers often have material data about working the materials.

If you can find a shop the uses the material often excess or drops can be had cheap.
I often get sheet metal and plastic from the local manufactures instead of buying full sheets. I'm paying more that scrap but less per square foot than a 4x8 sheet.
Splitting an order with someone can help.

hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:57 am »

Watching Heros of Cosplay I watch a player with a toll of wonderflex, over $100 US, purchased as casually as a smothered burrito.  i need to find a local supplier.  Who uses this?  Auto body shops?  Prosthetic limb makers?
elShoggotho
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:25:41 am »

I've worked with wonderflex and a heat gun. It's a breeze to work with. I've also worked with L200 style foam. Not as easy to use, but damn fine material for good looking LARP boffers. Just remember: GRP rod as a core, L200 as the middle material, pigmented latex for the outer coat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: