The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:53:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steam power  (Read 5645 times)
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2007, 02:56:22 am »

The EBT takes volunteers, I think, and they have a pretty nice steam shop.. You might want to look at the Graham Industries machined steam kits, (they have a nice vertical single with reversing gear), and a Cheddar type boiler.  Bit more educational than the Mamod's (but nowhere near as cute)

Cheers
Harold

Thanks for the tip.... BTW, I didn't know they knew about the EBT up in Canada.... I live about 26 miles, as the crow flies (if the crow had to drive, on the other hand.....) from Orbisonia.  I also happen to be a member of the Freinds of the East Broad Top.... Need to get up that way to do some track work or whatever, but have been too busy the past couple of weekends (I actually have to work this weekend... UGH!  No rest for me, but at least I'm getting time and a half for it).

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 03:04:30 am »

Thanks for the tip.... BTW, I didn't know they knew about the EBT up in Canada.... I live about 26 miles, as the crow flies (if the crow had to drive, on the other hand.....) from Orbisonia.  I also happen to be a member of the Freinds of the East Broad Top.... Need to get up that way to do some track work or whatever, but have been too busy the past couple of weekends (I actually have to work this weekend... UGH!  No rest for me, but at least I'm getting time and a half for it).

Ah, but don't forget, I'm a railroader, spent 33 years of my life with Canadian Pacific (as did my dad, and granddad, BTW).  Smiley
Also, working with steam locos, one gets to know what steam is still out there pretty quick...
Cheers
Harold

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 03:26:18 am »

Ah yes, I remember that pic (as well as the other pics you've posted of your beloved steam locomotives)....

It's just that realatively few people whom I've who are from outside of Pennsylvania know anything about the EBT....

I'm just a young pup, but my granduncle Jack, along with quite a few of my other granduncles and great-granduncles worked for the Western Maryland RR back in the day... Jack stayed with the railroad through its acquisition by the Chessapeke and Ohio, and later C&O's metamorphasis into Chessie and finally CSX by the time he retired.  I once wanted to become a train engineer when I was little, but over the years found electronics to be more to my liking.... Speaking of which, I'm also a member of the Rockhill Trolley Museum (Which is on the other side of the street from the EBT station in Rockhill Furnace/Orbisonia... That town is sort of like Budapest... It's actually two towns in one, with Orbisonia on the East side of the Blacklog Creek and Rockhill Furnace the part of town on the West side of the creek), and have helped with restoring the old streetcars there from time-to time.... Need to get over there and help out with that work as well...

I'll also assume that since you know about the EBT, you also know about the Strasburg RR.....
Phineas Lamar Alexander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2009, 06:50:09 pm »

steam is more efficient, more cost effective, can pretty much never run out, unlike gas. and is better for our lovely planet. the only reason we dont use it much now is because most people think of steam power as primitive, they think we have got something better. if we spent more time with steam power we could surely develop a steam engine which requires less upkeep. early on gas engine companies discredited the steam engine, saying they blew up, when in fact there is no recorded case of a steam car blowing up. all that being said, if we where to take the time that we have taken on the petrol powered car and use it for the steam car, we would have a far better vehicle.

Where in the world do you get such a romantic notion?
Did it ever occur to you that the primary fuel that was used to produce steam is coal!
Do you have a clue about the hazards of every point of this fuel from mining to what it releases as it burns? How about the coal communities that are left in the wake of a mining town when the big boys leave? This is also the VERY REAL ISSUE of electric cars! Where will we get the electricity...COAL!!!! While I concede that you are probably right about what could be achieved if we were to devote as much time and resource to developing a better steamcar, we still have a long way to go when it comes to making something that is " Better for our lovely planet"

I am not saying you are 100% wrong just that perhaps you should look a little more closely at what the over all state of the environment in a major city when coal fired steam was the rule of the day and scale that up to a populace the size of NY or LA or for that matter London today.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »

Where in the world do you get such a romantic notion?
Did it ever occur to you that the primary fuel that was used to produce steam is coal!
Do you have a clue about the hazards of every point of this fuel from mining to what it releases as it burns? How about the coal communities that are left in the wake of a mining town when the big boys leave? This is also the VERY REAL ISSUE of electric cars! Where will we get the electricity...COAL!!!! While I concede that you are probably right about what could be achieved if we were to devote as much time and resource to developing a better steamcar, we still have a long way to go when it comes to making something that is " Better for our lovely planet"

Coal. oil, nucular ( to quote ex pres of the US) they'll all run out, and too quickly if we persist in our love for the car. We do not need big poweful engines in our cars, 20-30 bhp will get you where you want to go, and human power for local trips. As long as a 'small' car engine is 100 bhp or more we're committing our children to fuel poverty.
           Our only hope realistically is nuclear fusion.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 11:49:41 pm »

Primary..historically, yes. However, it is certainly not the only fuel ever used to produce steam...ever hear of wood? It is, after all, a renewable resource, and fast growing woods like pine are quite sustainable, and make excellent fuel. Of course, we might have to learn to have less parking lots, and shopping centers, and more acreage devoted to growing harvestable timber, which would reduce Co2, produce oxygen, and provide other products....excuse me, I don't see the down side... Roll Eyes

As far as "nuclear fusion" to produce electricity being our "only hope," I have one word.."solar."
Let's face it...if the sun goes out, we're pretty well screwed anyway.

Thistlewaite

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:57 am »

As far as "nuclear fusion" to produce electricity being our "only hope," I have one word.."solar."
Let's face it...if the sun goes out, we're pretty well screwed anyway.

Thistlewaite

Good point well made Sir. (Still nuclear fusion though  Grin ) . Very good in hot sunny countries but northern climes? Your point about wood is good. But there are already conflicts emerging concerning growing non-food/fuel and the food requirements of an ever increasing population. Just maybe the fundamental problem is that there's too many of us.

So I'm going back to my restaurant on the Moon.
SteamJam
Gunner

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

That depends on where you are on the nation (USA), or the world. Out East coal was the primary fuel. Out west including Hawaii it was wood, fuel oil, or even sugar cane.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:46:34 pm by SteamJam » Logged

"Some men see things as they are and ask: Why? I dream things that never were and ask: Why Not?" ~RFK

"So much for the little pleasure cruise...." ~Capt. Sulu
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: