The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:55:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk realm prostitution?/  (Read 3892 times)
Captain Lister Maylin
Gunner
England England

iannlou
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:28 pm »

I like this thread, not very common subject.

Seconded - very interesting & the story sounds interesting too.

Is it supposed to be doing that?
Damnd of Hell
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 02:55:15 am »

Ninety minutes of screenplay completed, and much more to go.  Looks like a mini series so far. Cheesy

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 04:05:07 am »

one hundred twelve pages and going strong!
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:22 am »

Episode one complete.  120 pages,  done.  Cheesy
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:43 am »

This is strictly an academic note, but be wary of using the terms gender and sex as synonyms. Depending on the source, the earliest recorded use of gender being used to discuss the sexes occurred in either 1955 or 1963. A very real distinction is made in anthropological studies, as well.

As used in proper anthropological parlance, sex is used to define the physical characteristics of an individual, while gender is used to define the societal role/choice of the individual. As an example, I am a male (non-coach) school teacher. In the 17th through early 19th Centuries, when the preponderance of school teachers were male, both my sex and my gender would be male. Starting somewhere c. mid-19th Century forward, when the preponderance of (non-coach) school teachers were/are females, my sex is still male but my gender is female. (And, because this distinction was drilled into me during my college years, when I took a few anthropology classes, to this day I confound survey takers based on their phrasing of the question which they mean--whether they worded it correctly or not--to ask about my biological plumbing...)

As I said, this is strictly an academic note, and how you prefer to use either term (or not) is entirely up to you. So, dance with who bring ya. However, I can say that when I encounter words, terminology, and phrasing that are inconsistent with how people from a certain time period and/or culture would have used them, it takes me out of my suspension of disbelief and the author has to work to get me back into their narrative.

ALSO however, within the premise you have described, with different realms with different cultures and values, you have a real opportunity to play with this...A character from the Cyber realm, for instance, may be accustomed to referring to the sexes (biological) as genders, which might cause some confusion when trying to blend in with citizens of the Steam realm...or whatever variation you wish to come up with.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:20:18 pm by GCCC » Logged
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:22 am »

This is strictly an academic note, but be wary of using the terms gender and sex as synonyms. Depending on the source, the earliest recorded use of gender being used to discuss the sexes occurred in either 1955 or 1963. A very real distinction is made in anthropological studies, as well.

As used in proper anthropological parlance, sex is used to define the physical characteristics of an individual, while gender is used to define the societal role/choice of the individual. As an example, I am a male (non-coach) school teacher. In the 17th through early 19th Centuries, when the preponderance of school teachers were male, both my sex and my gender would be male. Starting somewhere c. mid-19th Century forward, where the preponderance of (non-coach) school teachers were/are females, my sex is still male but my gender is female. (And, because this distinction was drilled into me during my college years, when I took a few anthropology classes, to this day I confound survey takers based on their phrasing of the question which they mean--whether they worded it correctly or not--to ask about my biological plumbing...)

As I said, this is strictly an academic note, and how you prefer to use either term (or not) is entirely up to you. So, dance with who bring ya. However, I can say that when I encounter words, terminology, and phrasing that are inconsistent with how people from a certain time period and/or culture would have used them, it takes me out of my suspension of disbelief and the author has to work to get me back into their narrative.

ALSO however, within the premise you have described, with different realms with different cultures and values, you have a real opportunity to play with this...A character from the Cyber realm, for instance, may be accustomed to referring to the sexes (biological) as genders, which might cause some confusion when trying to blend in with citizens of the Steam realm...or whatever variation you wish to come up with.

Since I can't find a 'like' button, I felt I had to write this very brief response and say how much I appreciate your excellent comment. Thank you.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:01 pm »

@RodDuncan:

First, thank you, good Sir!

Second, I agree; this forum should have "Like" buttons. As a newer member on these boards, I find it frustrating when, especially while going through older posts in possibly inactive threads, that I can't find a way to indicate approval of any poster's comments where those comments appear. In a multi-page thread especially, where a comment appears somewhere on pages 1 - 4 in a 30+ page post...

You and I can't be the only ones who've missed such a feature on Brass Goggles; might there be a way to petition the moderators for such an addition?

@Damnd of Hell:

Keep up the good work (and do keep us posted)!
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2014, 02:06:23 am »

GCCC thank you for the advice, and it is being written into the characters of the screenplay.   ALL help is welcome by this screenwriter.  Cheesy
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2014, 09:23:12 am »

(Looks down at feet, toe scuffing the dirt, blushing):

Aw, shucks...t'weren't nuthin', mister...
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:02 am »

Cool
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 03:11:54 am »

Haven't heard anything from this thread in a while. What's the status on the project, Damnd of Hell?
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2014, 09:50:34 pm »

just wondering; how long would the finished product be?
Something tells me I'm gonna regret not rereading the last 3 pages...Wink

Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2014, 02:53:53 am »

Eighty pages into Episode II.  Looks like it's going to be an eight hour mini series.  So far the characters are meshing well.  I've introduced a religious cult of priest and priestess assassin's I'm calling Ferrous Priests/priestess; six in this one.
I'm recalling one of the old spy things I remembered in the seventies.  It was a way to talk and eaves drop on people using an infra red laser and a window as a speaker.  It was developed by Americans, but refined by the Satssi of East Germany as a spy device.  And, at this time you could actually buy it from Edmund Scientific for eighty dollars.
The Bordello is called the Velvet Lover, and yes both sexes are represented as 'professional's'  And in this particular one, the Madam is an Intelligence Colonel, with four of her agents as professional's; one killed by a Cyber villain who's come to the Steam Realm for revenge.
So far the bad guys are getting lucky, but, pay back is a total B(*&^!   Cool
OH I also got Diesel punk, Goth punk, and mad max outlanders included in the intrigue.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:59:53 am by Damnd of Hell » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:41 am »

Looking forward to the final results!
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2014, 03:51:54 am »

Grin
Damnd of Hell