The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 02:02:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk realm prostitution?/  (Read 3820 times)
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 11:37:44 pm »

Where are the Mothers?  They're not going to like all this abandoning of children, in any reality.  I hope you have a plausible explanation for the absence of maternal interference in this scheme of paternal rejection and family homicidal vengeance . . . ?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »

Interesting story!

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »

In my writing I use the theme, of 'history lost'.  The product of someone, or cause that decides to sever their family from their heritage and history, and then see the result of that severance does.
In instances where this occurs, (the abandoning of their children, or child)usually the culture is the old world male dominant era's.  The Father being absolute.   In the U.S., up to the mid seventies it was common for 'fathers' to sign their children into charity homes or state institutions for 'officially' financial burdens.  But, could be for anything up to including just not wanting a certain child.  And, the mother had no choice in the deal, but accept the right of the husband to rule the household.
Now, compile this with a world society that is collapsing into anarchical wars.
I do have when the son enters the realm to find, stop, and bring the antagonist back, the mother has a sense of who he is.
I'm still on the story line and research, but I'm hoping to start on the screenplay itself in January.  So, if it's okay, I'll be seeking advise from time to time.  I just don't know if it'll be anime, or live action. 

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 10:37:06 pm »

Yes, I see.  This is a theme that is going to spark a good deal of interest and passion, obviously!  The 'red-headed stepchild,' the unwanted pregnancy that will ruin the start of a promising career, the girlfriend with a sullen teenager from a former relationship -- seen from the male perspective, from a position of power, the right to abort or institutionalize the impediment would have to have grave consequences in fiction.  Seen from the child's perspective, the insult would be almost certainly crippling, and from the mother's, unforgivable (with some exceptions who do away with the impediments to an empowering marriage themselves.)  Quite disturbing.  No humor in it, I suppose?
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »

There will be of course humor, (albeit some morbid sick type.) . Imagine the cyber realm agent who must endure the Victorian era customs and courtesies, and modified and altered (H. G. Wellian) technology, and visa versa. As well as the customary turf war between the two, and the cyber realm liaison who's been living in the Steam Realm for many years, and adopted their way's. 
Eventually,  the truth is told at the obligatory dinner.  The biological father finally asks why the protagonist is 'hostile' to him.  Present is the mother, sister, and the servants.  Here he tells him who he is and what happened in his life.   Being of the cyber realm, and the veteran of many brutal battles he's partially a cyborg,  (think partially Ghost in the shell.)
The antagonist cannot be brought back to the cyber realm for judgment due to their being death in the steam realm; and murder takes precedent in the jurisprudence.
At the end, the realms are trying to reconcile, and his family is present there. Although he maintains his animosity, He presents his two children and pregnant wife to his family.  Telling them that they will know the truth, but how they choose to make any relations will be their choice.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:34:06 pm by Damnd of Hell » Logged
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 01:32:20 am »

Okay, just decided, (and not many will be happy) There will be no humans with rocket packs.  There will be robots with rocket packs.  And, the Bordello will be the host of not just Steam Realm prostitutes, but Shadow and Cyber realm prostitutes as well.  And yes, both genders, some of which will be Steam Realm intelligence officers.   Cool
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 01:46:41 am »

Just to clarify: both genders, both genders for the use of, in exchange for information, or both genders for the use of men in exchange for information? If use there must be, it should be distributed and reciprocal at least.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 02:31:35 am »

Both Genders as prostitutes, who, within the Brothels some prostitutes will be Intelligence officers; absorbing the secrets of outer realm delegates, industrialists and spies.  Roll Eyes   In this world, equal opportunity is equal opportunity.
And yes I have created a Victorian era type of anti prostitution, and equality of the Steam Realm; seeing to invoke the strict (and hypocritical) tight butt world of the real Victorian era.   
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 03:39:41 am »

always wondered how humans could use rocket packs without setting their a$$ on fire...Wink
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 01:35:47 am »

Well that's one reason why no humans with rocket pack's.   Grin
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:28 pm »

Well the plot goes well, but I'm creating a vocabulary glossary of the realms.  Can any one give me some suggestions on what Steam Realm citizens, and police slang  would refer to the prostitutes  (male and female) the madam's, legal brothels, illegal prostitutes, the bouncers?
I'm going to refer to those who partake in the services as 'dippers', but any recommendations will do.  Especially when there are Diesel/goth, vampire/ and a mad max type of anarchical land that separates the realms. 
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 12:42:17 am »

Over here a 'dipper' is a pick-pocket.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 12:48:38 am »

oh...this is too tempting; sockets, gender-benders, clipons, vampire clamps, probes, soiled gears, filles de gaskets, gawking meters, ladies of negotiable virt...(woops, that's already been used), heterae-dynes, darkroom ladies, knee-tremblers, janes and johns, spanners, well, this is probably more than enough...Wink
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 01:38:04 am »

Noting them all down.  What about the brothels themselves?  And, those who come from the other realms to either work as a prostitute, or patronize them?    I want to start the Screenplay in January, but now it's latter of the month;  there's a lot in building a world. 
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 06:50:17 am »

mmm...there's so many out there already, it'd be hard to find a new one. Money-parteds, red button district, sparking house, horizontal firm, evening's experiment, joy lab, control group (cheap version of...Wink, auto-matron, rigible works (think about it), the two-back joint, gamahucheium, minette waltz parlor, and on...and on...Wink
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 02:47:47 am »

Excellent!  Thank you, all added to the list. Cheesy
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 10:10:10 am »

A great resource for the real history of this sort of thing is the historian Fern Ridell. She is presently writing a book called A Victorian Guide to Sex. You can follow her on Twitter or read her Vice and Virtue blog.

Although we  can make up anything we want to, researching real Victorian life can offer a great source of inspiration. Smiley
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 08:50:18 pm »

A great resource for the real history of this sort of thing is the historian Fern Ridell. She is presently writing a book called A Victorian Guide to Sex. You can follow her on Twitter or read her Vice and Virtue blog.

Although we  can make up anything we want to, researching real Victorian life can offer a great source of inspiration. Smiley

Done!  Thank you. Cheesy
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 11:57:52 pm »

There will be robots with rocket packs. 
Not even prostitutes with rocket-packs.....

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 11:59:08 pm »

that should read
not even prostitutes with rocket packs....
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 09:34:32 am »

that should read
not even prostitutes with rocket packs....

prostitutes with rocket packs ?

they must be in high demand ..

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 01:59:34 am »

Uhm, no.  It's difficult with pants, but ladies of the oldest profession who won't be wearing such things . . . burning off their assets?   Madam Aurora would be greatly displeased.   Roll Eyes
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »

it does give a new meaning to 'knee-trembler'...Wink
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 01:38:25 am »

Roll Eyes
Damnd of Hell
Gunner